What's new
What's new

Haas Mini mill 2 probing problems

jmabe

Plastic
I'm new to Hass machines and probing. I've ran and worked with mostly Fadal and Fanuc controllers but never really a Haas. Anyway the problem I'm having is when run the spindle Probe Diameter Calibration the machine moves up about 5 inches in the Z axis then tries to probe the diameter master. When this happens the machine alarms out due to surface not found. (which it should because the master isn't 5 inches up) I don't know why the machine moves up in the Z axis before probing the bore. The ruby on the Renishaw probe is indicated in to .0001 roundness and the tool setter is indicated in with in .001 in X and Y axis. I'm able to use the calibration tool (.250 gauge pin in a solid holder) and it will probe against the tool setter in X,Y and Z axis as it should. Then I take the calibration tool out and replace it with the Renishaw probe and run the Spindle Probe Diameter Calibration. This is when I run into the problem I mentioned above. I've talked with a Haas rep and he seems to think that the macros for the probing operations had gotten corrupted some how and that was causing the problem. He sent me NGC_Renishaw_V3.22 micros to load into the machine. I loaded the new macros he sent me and I'm still having the same issue as before with the Z axis moving up about 5 inches before probing the diameter and giving me the same alarm (surface not found. I spoke with the Haas rep again and he suggested reloading the macros because they may be corrupt again. Has anyone else had this problem? Why would new macros loaded into the machine get corrupt right after loading? I can get into much more information if its needed to help figure this out.

Have you set the length on the work/spindle probe? If its the OMP40 with the 50mm stylus, the offset should be roughly 5.4"

Yes I have ran the Spindle Probe Length Calibration option and the spindle probe length calibration operation seems to function as it should by coming down in the Z axis and touching off on the tool setter. I will double check the numbers to make sure that this length which is roughly 5.4" as you mentioned is being stored in the machine under tool #7.

it sounds like you're starting the routine with no tool length offset for the probe. I find best results are had with "COMPLETE PROBE CALIBRATION", using both the calibrated gauge tool and the spindle probe, since that will guarantee length and diameter measurement

So yesterday I ran the COMPLETE PROBE CALIBRATION program for the probe. The master tool (which is a .250 gauge pin in a solid holder) touched off on top of the tool setter as it should. Then the machine done a tool change and picked the probe up out of pocket 7. The probe touched off on the tool setter in the Z axis then went around the OD of the tool setter touching off. I seen that the tool length for the probe changed about .0005 from what was saved in the offset for the probe. So I know that the tool offset is getting updated. After the complete probe calibration operation was complete I went back in and ran the spindle Probe Diameter Calibration macro. This time the tool only moved up about 3 inches and then tried to find the bore. It alarmed out just as before. I'm not sure whats going on.

i don't think the gauge pin will be adequate. how do you know the length of the assembly? did you check the runout?

there should be a master calibration tool which will have a known gauge length and diameter engraved on the body

The length of the assembly was measured on a height gauge from the flange of the cat40 holder to the end of the gauge pin. This was made instead of bought. It serves the same purpose. Its 3.9952 long and .2495 in dia.

haas machine.jpg

I dont think your machine is running the correct routine. There shouldn't even be a Z move in the probe dia cal.

Instead of running the calibration script, post it to MDI and take a screenshot. And if you cant do that, get the 9xxx number its calling.

I would try the vector calibration cycle for shits and giggles. If it doesn't work there is definitely something wrong with the approach... I'm providing something I wrote but keep in mind some edits that may need to be made to work on your machine:

The H value should reflect the tool length offset for your probe...
The D value should reflect the EXACT size of your calibration ring...

And ideally you'll want the probe centered on the ring gauge as well as at the necessary depth. This routine shouldn't have any moves in Z (allowing you to handle jog to the required depth). This depth is only important based upon the length of your stylus, as well as the size of the tip. There can potentially be issues when using very small tips as the probe has an overtravel distance in order to be triggered.

%
O07000 (VECTOR CALIBRATION OF STYLUS)
(THIS PROGRAM RUNS THE CALIBRATION CYCLE FOR VECTOR MEASUREMENT CYCLES)

(***A TOOL OFFSET MUST BE ACTIVE BEFORE RUNNING THIS PROGRAM***)

(***POSITION PROBE ON CENTER IN THE RING GUAGE AND AT REQUIRED DEPTH***)

G90 G80 G40
G43 H20 (ACTIVATE PROBE LENGTH OFFSET)
G65 P9832 (PROBE ON)
G65 P9804 D2.0000 (CALIBRATE IN 2.0000 INCH RING GAUGE)
G65 P9833 (SPIN THE PROBE OFF)

M30
%

Back