What's new
What's new

Haas MiniLathe startup issue

wmpy

Hot Rolled
Hi all. I have been having starting my MiniLathe up in the mornings. It doesn't always happen, but usually when I start it up in the morning I get a screen that is completely blank except for the top left of the screen where it will say something like "83600020 00E2" (not an exact example of what it says- I'm just going from memory). Usually, I let the machine sit 15 minutes, cycle power, and then everything is normal. Sometimes, I'll be cycling power for hours before it actually powers up. Now, I had a Haas tech out to diagnose the problem, but of course when he showed up it powered up normally on the first try. So, I'm looking for any ideas on how to diagnose this myself. Anyone have any ideas on where to look? Or what parts I should try to swap? I really want to get this remedied because there's nothing more annoying than carving out some time to set the machine and then it WON'T TURN ON.:mad5:

Thanks!

I think the machine is an '02, but I'll have to check when I get back to work.
This has been a problem for a few years now. I haven't known what to do about it, so I've just lived with it.

My '07 has done essentially the same thing since it was brand new, although the most it ever took was two immediate restarts to get itself unfucked. Usually just shut it down and fire right back up and it's good.

Diagnosis: It's a Haas.

I think the machine is an '02, but I'll have to check when I get back to work.
This has been a problem for a few years now. I haven't known what to do about it, so I've just lived with it.

Well, I think you're about as fucked as I will be when my MiniLathe shits the bed!
It is likely a processor or memory error, which might end up as a MOCON upgrade ( fine on it's face if you can afford it and the machine will repay it. I can and IT will )
BUT!!!

The Minilathe became obsolete back in '04, and newer versions of soft/firmware will not even let it be selected as an option!

Seriously, if the error gets to be a real pain, just leave the F'n thing on with E-stop pressed.
At least you get to use it the next day until something permanently fries...

Of course, Haas is welcome to chime in if the MOCON upgrade and it's SW/FW version accepts an ML selection.

I can confirm the machine is an '02. I have four other Haas machines that are the same age or older, none of which exhibit this behavior.

I've been trying very hard lately to eliminate those things that waste my time, and this is one of them, so I was hoping this was something that could be fixed with a reasonable amount of effort.

I've considered leaving the machine on, but I'm a little bit leery of leaving any machine on unsupervised ever since we had a machine (not Haas) catch fire while it was just sitting idle. It could have gotten real bad if someone wasn't there to stop the fire.

A MOCON upgrade was mentioned... How about just a replacement MOCON board? Sorry, I'm not real familiar with how the electronics of a Haas is set up if we're not talking about drives. Would I need the MOCON board out of a MiniLathe? or would any of the same part # do?

Back