Haas owners Unite! Creating a statement to get better support for older Haas machines - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So here's what I remember for the a control retrofit, using Centroid:

Haas CNC Parts Repair Service VF VMC CNC retrofit upgrade.

No idea if the Centroid has enough advantages over the (functioning) original control, or what the relative costs are.

Are there others out there? We need some options...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Where did you go to get the board fixed, or were you able to do it yourself? We should put together a reference list of repair shops that do a good job of board diagnosis and repair. Maybe a sticky?

I think there's at least one company that does a full retrofit of the Haas "chassis", may be referenced in this thread. If I can find it I'll post the link again.

tried several different repair shops with more than one board getting repaired. they all say sure no problem we can fix it.....months later and more months of downtime no one could fix it. finally forked out for a known working processor that came by me and even that still had some quirks and issues getting my mill back alive. if I would have known this back when the whole ordeal started I would have forked out the 3500 for a at the time new board that I could have had but guys said they could fix the old one....lesson learned.

what's tough about this topic and crowd way back when i'd say 10 years or so ago haas had kind of peaked its domestic market and the big future focus was overseas and much larger markets for them. not sure how there sales sit these days but a tying point to this statement is most of the export machines were sold in say the last decade or so.....only market really getting bit hard by these obsolete parts are the guys who got them out of the corner and into the mainstream.

3. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool! But right now we need numbers and exposure for this thread. We won' get anywhere with Haas if only 5-10 people chime in here, we need a hundred at least, ideally more.

Any time you can reasonably point to this thread, or whatever succeeds it when the message is fully crafted will help.
    I'M ALL IN!!!! It's funny I just ran across this forum and more importantly, this post. As I'm typing this reply, 2 HAAS service techs are working on my 35 hour (yes that's correct), 35 hour 2005 VF-2 due to a warranty call back from last week. I had HAAS service come up a week ago to install a remote battery backup board. Seems simple enough. Later that Friday afternoon, BOOM! BAM! CRAP! upon requesting a higher RPM call during a new program setup, 4K to be exact, the machine just up and shuts itself OFF, total power down, spindle coasting, no lights or screen sort of off. It's now day 4 (8 hour days) that HAAS has been trying to find the problem. They've installed numerous parts ie, Vector drive, power card, I/O... But to no avail. Now it looks as if the processor might have been damaged somehow and I'm getting told I may need to buy the "upgrade" due to obsolete processor boards. WTF? This machine has 35 cutting hours on it and looks as if it were on a showroom floor. Some tech changes a battery card and now I'm stuck with a $15K problem? I've owned 6 Haas now. VF-3's, SL, ST's, ST20-SSY's. I'm no stranger to Haas, and have been a loyal customer for over 13 years.

I guess at this point, (2005 VF2 prognosis still unknown), I'd like to offer my help in any way I can. I'd also love some feedback! Has anyone see this before?, or "you need to check this out"?, type of feedback so that I might be able to help these guys find the problem....

Thanks guys!

5. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread died a year ago to the day...and your bad luck doesn't constitute a lawsuit lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's crap luck, but there may be more going on than just the battery board mess-up. I have heard (but have no direct proof) that one of the things Haas techs are supposed to do when they service older machines is do a software update to remove the option of overriding the door safety switch. It's conceivable that this tech tried this, but messed up the update and buggered the machine.

Aside from that, other f-ups could have occurred from shorting a board with a metal tool to mechanical damage during handling.

Have you contacted higher management at the HFO that sent the tech? If not, do so and get some answers.

BTW, it is amusing(?) that it's exactly a year since the last post.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 3 haas vertical machine centers a 94 vf1, a 96 vf3, and a 2006 vf2ss . had the spindle motor loose a bearing in the vf2 ss. I have been doing machine repairs for 35 years on various cnc machines. in that time I have never seen a spindle motor loose a bearing and lock up a spindle. also the 24k upgrade they are offering is awful!!! there is absolutely no reason they cant support the processor, Mocon / motif, and video boards !!!! I have been a huge haas supporter from the beginning. I'm even interested in the new horizontal 500 they just released. but what keeps them from stop supporting that in a few years??? I honestly will (as much as I hate to say it) will be looking to another brand for my next machine.

9. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's crap luck, but there may be more going on than just the battery board mess-up. I have heard (but have no direct proof) that one of the things Haas techs are supposed to do when they service older machines is do a software update to remove the option of overriding the door safety switch. It's conceivable that this tech tried this, but messed up the update and buggered the machine.

Aside from that, other f-ups could have occurred from shorting a board with a metal tool to mechanical damage during handling.

Have you contacted higher management at the HFO that sent the tech? If not, do so and get some answers.

BTW, it is amusing(?) that it's exactly a year since the last post.
    Personally I'd have my boot so far up someone's ass I'd be leaving tread marks on the back of their teeth.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    First you need a plane. You are putting the cart before the horse.
    I've got the plane, let's do this