What's new
What's new

HAAS Parameter Backup

dturner

Plastic
I work at a shop that has an old HS-1. Circa 2000 year. The machine has no floppy or usb. All programs are sent RS232.

I am trying to replace the battery on this machine, but wanted to backup the parameters and settings before diving into the cabinet since the owner says he has no backup anywhere that he knows of.

I found this procedure on HAAS' website
Machine Data Backup (Mill 15.xx and lower and Lathe 8.xx and lower) - CHC

It appears to work if you have a floppy which we do not. When I get to the "Push [F2]. Wait until the pendant reads DISK DONE [2]." step, it says "Flpy Not Enbled". So how do I get it to send this parameter backup file over RS232? I can not figure out an option that makes it try to do anything other than use a floppy which we don't have.

On the step "Push [LIST PROGRAM]. Go to the device where you want to back up your files.", since there is no floppy drive I can not select RS232 since those are actual buttons on the control for pushing data to/from the control. I do I "go to the device where you want to back up your files".

Anybody have an idea what I am missing? Probably something simple, but all I have been able to get it to do so far was to attempt to send to floppy.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Just for sanity check if the control cabinet has the floppy installed, or the pendant, it can be in either location. If you do end up finding you have a floppy drive check parameter 209 to see if the floppy disk is enabled. if its not enable it. I replaced the floppy with a usb to floppy emulator in my pendant, a cheap one from amazon. I feel like you may be able to drip feed it back over rs232, however at a minimum just take pictures of the parameter screens, settings screens and enable the 9000 series programs to grab the macros.

I pulled the cover off where the floppy would typically be. Nothing behind it. Parameter 209 for floppy is not enabled and if you try to enable it, it says "Function locked". Looks like the option of taking pictures of the parameters and settings may be it. I will mess around a little more....seems there has to be a way to push that to the RS-232 instead of floppy since there isn't one, but got to replace the battery soon I am sure. Not sure how long you can go with the low battery alarm. :)

EDIT: Forgot to unlock parameter lock when I messed with it today. After turning parameter lock off, I can enable a floppy. It acts like it writes params,etc. to a floppy(even though there isn't one). About to hook up the RS232 PC to the machine and just out of curiosity and see if anything comes across rs232 when it says it is writing to floppy, doubt it but worth a try.

Thanks

IMG_8482.jpg
IMG_8486.jpg
IMG_8484.jpg
IMG_8485.jpg

To send the parameters via RS232, you go to the PARAMETERS screen, type in serial#.PAR and hit SEND RS232.
This will send your parameters to the receiving PC.

Actually, you can just type in .PAR and hit send RS232
Similarly, settings can be saved from the SETTINGS screen, type in .SET and send RS232

( here is an old thread about it: Parameters - backing up / copying

Pretty sure you can just pick up a gotek floppy usb unit with floppy cable and connect it to the video vd. Even if u just hang it in there. Grab a floppy power cable and any 5v source to the red wire. It should work if 209 is on. I just did this over the weekend for someone. Stole a 5v jumper for 3 mins to nab the parms/settings. just used a 2ft floppy cable into the plug on the stack. Hung it there.

Here is the haas proc doc.
Floppy Drive - Installation - AD0033

Pretty sure you can just pick up a gotek floppy usb unit with floppy cable and connect it to the video vd. Even if u just hang it in there. Grab a floppy power cable and any 5v source to the red wire. It should work if 209 is on. I just did this over the weekend for someone. Stole a 5v jumper for 3 mins to nab the parms/settings. just used a 2ft floppy cable into the plug on the stack. Hung it there.

Here is the haas proc doc.
Floppy Drive - Installation - AD0033

I'd take the RS232 over a floppy anyday, specially if that is how they transfer programs anyway.
The above procedure works on any machine with the RS232 button.

Back