What's new
What's new

HAAS price gouging

metal-ica

Cast Iron
I bought a video card in 2014 for $595.

Same board today costs $4,500

What's up with that?

I'm in the same boat. Needed a Z servo (brushed). Servo for a brand new machine $600, servo for my old machine $3500 w/ core return. For that I could just about buy another old HAAS and strip the parts. I would if I had the space for it. Just ridiculous. Ended up sending mine for a rebuild somewhere in CA for $950, hoping that goes well.

I'm in the same boat. Needed a Z servo (brushed). Servo for a brand new machine $600, servo for my old machine $3500 w/ core return. For that I could just about buy another old HAAS and strip the parts. I would if I had the space for it. Just ridiculous. Ended up sending mine for a rebuild somewhere in CA for $950, hoping that goes well.

I've always had good luck with a local electric motor shop for that, it's just another DC motor to them, they know what to do.

One thing I've learned is to take the encoder off before I give it to them. They don't seem to appreciate how sensitive the encoders Haas used are to shock etc.

Ended up sending mine for a rebuild somewhere in CA for $950, hoping that goes well.

Before sending a brushed motor for repair you could save money and time by doing some servicing yourself.
My brushed motor was making noise and showing an over current fault. The noise was a bad bearing (cheap). The over current was from a couple of problems, a cracked brush holder (~$45 BH187-58 from carbonbrush.com) and carbon in the windings. The windings had to be flushed out by holding the armature on end in a vice and spraying cleaner through the windings. Do not use a cleaner that dissolves shellac.
Brushes are 0.19" x 0.62" x 0.75"
I think the motors fault more from carbon build-up than actually burning out.

I get that Haas has raised there prices on parts ,, But have you checked Fanuc or other controller prices ? The only cheap controller to work on is Fadal,

reality and moral of the story is start building up your places to get parts repaired instead of new replacements. some good guys out there to help you out when the unexpected breakdowns happen.

I used an outfit called Zaritron in Illinois. Gentleman named Stoyan helped me out greatly. $500+ shipping and we traded boards. Now I'm up and running again. Highly recommend them.

I've always had good luck with a local electric motor shop for that, it's just another DC motor to them, they know what to do.

One thing I've learned is to take the encoder off before I give it to them. They don't seem to appreciate how sensitive the encoders Haas used are to shock etc.

I called 3 in the area, none would touch servos. There's one 100ft down the road from me but the guy was never in the shop for me to talk to. Needed my machine running, shop in CA was responsive and confident, soooooooooo off to california it went.

Before sending a brushed motor for repair you could save money and time by doing some servicing yourself.

I'm more than willing and capable to change bearings, brushes, etc...but mine was 100% roasted rotor/armature windings and I know my time is better spent making parts than rewinding motors. I've done it before for my RC planes and silly electric race cars, but it's not something I currently have time to do or want to do on my tools. Plus, if it doesn't work I have someone else to hold accountable for it.

I had a unique situation leading to my motor failure, I am sure under normal use you're right.

It’s a plain vanilla Electrocraft brush servo motor.

I bet their is a modern equivalent at an economic price point ElectroCraft : DPP720 DirectPower™ Plus Brush Motor

It might take a little sleuthing to ensure you have the correct winding voltage and means to add an encoder, but this is well within the capabilities of anyone willing to learn a little about their machine.

We often retrofit high cost obsolete motors with cost effective modern day equivalents, you might need an adapter plate and a new coupling (or bore out / sleeve) the old coupling as required.

I'll do some research and place some RFQs, it probably is. I didn't have time to play the guessing game though when we had orders to get out the door. If they're not too expensive I'll definitely get another to keep on hand, and when I have my new machine here it won't be as critical.

A Tech told me lately that Haas jacked up the prices on older parts due to availability of components to build boards and such for older machines. Also looks to me like a push to drive people to buy new machines. If that is the case, there are plenty of good machine builders out there that will look me in the face when they give me a giant bill. Id rather deal with them under that assumption.

A Tech told me lately that Haas jacked up the prices on older parts due to availability of components to build boards and such for older machines.
I rather doubt that. I have bought parts for the brush servo drive boards, even older output IGBTs that are not stocked by the usual outlets for not much above prices for the later parts. I added a row of memory for about $35.
I built a new servo board with modern components that replaced many of the parts on the original board and eliminated about 34 parts for less than what people charge for used boards. The board would have been one third the size of the original if it were not for the mounting L bracket and the location of the connectors.
Haas wants to reduce their stock lists. That is money on the shelf that may never be sold.

Fwiw..
I used to know and have met all the top people there at HAAS.
Nice guys.

Haas does not price-gouge. Ever.
But they are conservative, and try to avoid major liability risks.

So Haas the business *must* buy certified components from reliable suppliers.
As these old components have become eol, and restricted supply, and high-cost **from major suppliers**, haas passes on the costs.

Any hobby guy or 2-guy repair place can get the ic´s etc. in onesy-twosy quantities, from multiple suppliers with no guarantees.

The repair-garage fixes an electronic board with no overall guarantee, or liability, for a machine tool that can potentially waste a 30.000$ piece of stock, or hurt an operator, or damage the machine, in about 50 ms, 0.05 secs.
The electrics-repair place never "knew" in theory what they repaired and overall is not in the machine tool business.
And has no deep pockets.

But Haas-the-business must have written traceability to avoid major lawsuits, in case of potential failures.
If the US law system was more like in europe, the repair parts would cost much less.
It is NOT the fault of haas - they must live within the US legal environment.

Haas would probably prefer to have secondary shops do the repairs on old stuff, but the US liability/tort/nuisance suit laws mostly keep them from doing that.

In the EU anyone/haas could theoretically sell parts/schematics to repair shops and not be liable overall.
This would allow endless small shops to repair bits for small money.
In the EU lawsuits mostly cannot get big awards/damages, thus limiting gold-digging.

Back