What's new
What's new

HAAS Programmable Tailstock Question

jonaddis84

Aluminum
Does the programmable tailstock on say a ST20 act like another axis? More specifically, do you command it to move + or - and with a feedrate, and how accurate is its motion?

Thanks

The M code for the tailstock is M21 advance and M22 retract. Setting 107 is your hold point. You can set this by hand jogging the tailstock until it touches the part. Add around .25 to the machine position and put it as your 107 setting. settings 93 and 94 set your restriction zone so that no programmed moves come through the tailstock and 106 and 105 I believe are usually preset but you can change them if you like . They are the retract point and what I call the part change point and are incremental from setting 107. Pressure must be above 125 PSI for the tailstock to seat correctly also. I found that out the hard way. Hope it helps out . Good luck and I will try and find my manual I know it has more in it.

The M code for the tailstock is M21 advance and M22 retract. Setting 107 is your hold point. You can set this by hand jogging the tailstock until it touches the part. Add around .25 to the machine position and put it as your 107 setting. settings 93 and 94 set your restriction zone so that no programmed moves come through the tailstock and 106 and 105 I believe are usually preset but you can change them if you like . They are the retract point and what I call the part change point and are incremental from setting 107. Pressure must be above 125 PSI for the tailstock to seat correctly also. I found that out the hard way. Hope it helps out . Good luck and I will try and find my manual I know it has more in it.

So its still a "dumb" tailstock in the ST20 line? I dont own one, just trying to do some research to see if something would work for my needs. From what I was able to find via google, the ST10 models are what people were calling "dumb", where they just move until they run into something and go off pressure to stop. The ST20, however, sounded like a totally different animal. Sounded like you may be able to actually command it to move to say an absolute position with a feed rate?

Thanks

My ST-20 tailstock rapids and feeds just like any other axis. I have not tried to drill with it though. We just rapid up close then feed the center into the stock and it stops once it reached the set pressure. Then we G28 home to be out of the way. This is a 2011 machine.

Curtis

I am very new to turning and I'm trying to figure out how to program my tailstock. I use Esprit to generate code but also do some hand coding but I'm having trouble with the tailstock code. All I get is a M21 and M22, no feed rates or anything. I just learned out settings 106 and 107 but I don't know where to start to modify this so that I don't slam my live center into a piece of stainless. Also, is there a way to handjog the tailstock using the dial vs just the TS<- and TS-> buttons?

Back