What's new
What's new

G112 and radial live tools

FrankieB

Aluminum
Machine sl30 lathe

I have to mill a j slot. Using a g112 and g19 plane, the way i understand it, you program with the z and y axis. Z is z and the y axis is converted to c rotation and you use the x axis for depth of cut. I have to mill two j slots, one starting at 0 degree and the second one at 180 degrees. Is this correct?

Thank you

G112 is specifically XY to XC conversion. specifying which plane is mostly for doing arc moves. G112 should theoretically work on G19 plane. G112 also does not allow C moves while it's active.

I do not think G112 will get you the "j slot" shape you're looking for.

iXmzkFZ.jpg

OZJvsZK.jpg

CaqCcPL.jpg

Here is the print. My plan is to use a 1/4 inch endmill to run the inside of the geometry, to maintain tolerance. i am having trouble coming up with the start and end points for the radii (the two at the start and end of the tool path).

Last edited:
are you trying to program this by hand? I think some of these radii have to be programmed in terms of Z and C, or some funky plane substitution like how G107 works on a mill (which i think is an undocumented feature on the lathe)

if you pm me a link to the solid model (STEP, plz) of this drawing i'll put some sample toolpath on it for you.

Back