What's new
What's new

Haas spindle rpm

valleyduramax

Plastic
I am looking at buying an 2005 vf3 but only issue is its only 7500rpm 2 speed gearbox. I have been told that they can actually run at 10000rpm but it either a haas unlock or something with wiring. I don't know much about that side of the machine so curious if it's just as simple as calling up haas or not possible?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I know nothing about this modification but be aware that spindle bearings and associated parts wear with the square of the RPM.
At 10K your life is 25% of that at 5000.
It gets worse that when you hot-rod or a run a spindle above it's design numbers.
Sometimes it best not to push these values, You can work efficiently with speeds much lower than on-line calculators blindly spit out.
But some people really do need a 20-40K spindle so you have to judge your own use.
I see people go crazy over rpm, tooling people spec nutso stuff too, and wonder if they have ever ran a B-port.
Let me see.... 1/4 inch PCD endmill in AL,.... yea about 60,000 puts you in using it "correctly".
Before you dismiss this slower machine do you need 10-12K for a large amount of your work?
Bob

There is some truth to the RPM being "limited" by the controller, but it's more in relation to matching the controller's limits with the appropriate hardware installed in there. They had a 10k gearbox back in those days (I have one on a 1997 VF2) but it sounds very different compared to the 7500 RPM versions. Although I don't know about the 2005 mills...

The only reason I ask is because at the shop I work at, they have a few mid 90's models and a 99 vf3. All have the 2 speed gearbox but all are 7500rpm except for the vf3 which is 10000rpm. The comment was made that they are exactly the same components except bearings on the older ones but haas changed at some point and all bearings were for the 10k spindles even if only actual 7500rpm was spec'd.

The reason I am asking is because I am wanting to buy a machine for home shop and there is a 2005 model nearby that only has 7500rpm spec and I want the 10k. Most work would be with aluminum and smaller tools so just seeing if anyone has any knowledge about this topic.

The only reason I ask is because at the shop I work at, they have a few mid 90's models and a 99 vf3. All have the 2 speed gearbox but all are 7500rpm except for the vf3 which is 10000rpm. The comment was made that they are exactly the same components except bearings on the older ones but haas changed at some point and all bearings were for the 10k spindles even if only actual 7500rpm was spec'd.

The reason I am asking is because I am wanting to buy a machine for home shop and there is a 2005 model nearby that only has 7500rpm spec and I want the 10k. Most work would be with aluminum and smaller tools so just seeing if anyone has any knowledge about this topic.

Why would you need the 10k for aluminum? Just asking because I am debating between 7.5k and 10k for processing speeds mainly with titanium and some aluminum/stainless. Does the 10k with aluminum just help the processing speed or does it also help with chip management/cut quality? I'm not that educated on the subject so I am asking out of curiosity, not prying. Cheers!

Why would you need the 10k for aluminum? Just asking because I am debating between 7.5k and 10k for processing speeds mainly with titanium and some aluminum/stainless. Does the 10k with aluminum just help the processing speed or does it also help with chip management/cut quality? I'm not that educated on the subject so I am asking out of curiosity, not prying. Cheers!

Aluminum likes lots of surface footage = high rpm.

I don't think it is a deal breaker between 7500 and 10,000. Depends on how small is 'small' for you. We regularly run 1/32" and under endmills. A 4 flute 1/32" endmill at 9900 rpm can only feed about 10-15 (we run ours at around 12ipm for the 4 flute). I guess what I am saying is we could use 20k or 30k spindles for the tools we use, but we make it work.

Look at this and see -

http://harveytool.com/secure/Content/Documents/SF_73000.pdf

They recommend 750-1000sfm. Ours is at 80 for a 1/32" LoL At 7500 rpm you drop to about 60 so it's not a huge difference.

I run 15K for hours on end in Titanium for finishing small surface details with a 1/32" ball. I'm getting a quote for a Toodle so I can run it faster.

Anyone have any experience with the 15k spindle from early 2000's?? Good bad?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Torque throughtout rpm range is lower in general? Or just even less in upper range?
Would this still be a reasonable spindle to have in a machine if being used for up to 3/4" endmills in aluminum or steel? I know its a broad question but not looking to hog big steel or anything.
It would be more dyamic style or high efficiency toolpaths

low throughout the band.3/4 endmill in aluminum it can do. but in steel id say probably not, 1/2 in steel possible if programming is adjusted for depth and sideload. on your original question about 7500 to 10000 rpm those machines have both different gear boxes and different spindles.

The parts may look the same, but 10k needs better balance than 7.5k. i would want to see a Haas parts manual before increasing speed.

At every point below where you are horsepower limited, spindle speed is money. More is better

The haas tech i talked to couldnt find the torque chart for that spindle so this is a potential purchase but unsure of that side of things

It's a very simple process to change the parameters on Haas to bump up the spindle speed,

There are two parameters that you will need to change to increase your spindle speed:

131-MAX SPINDLE RPM

183-Sp MAX FREQ

(PAR 183= MAX SPINDLE SPEED / 3 * 10)

Now,,,,,you need to keep in mind Haas does not support machines made before 2007. You break it, your stuck with it.

It's a very simple process to change the parameters on Haas to bump up the spindle speed,

There are two parameters that you will need to change to increase your spindle speed:

131-MAX SPINDLE RPM

183-Sp MAX FREQ

(PAR 183= MAX SPINDLE SPEED / 3 * 10)

Now,,,,,you need to keep in mind Haas does not support machines made before 2007. You break it, your stuck with it.

g-coder05, I saw you post this info previously on a lathe spindle question.
The subject of this thread is a 2005 VF3, 7500 RPM and Gearbox.
Does this info still apply?
Was under the impression that the mechanics are quite different for speed differences in the VF machines???

~TH

Lathe and Mill both use the same parameter number for the main spindles. The gearbox shift speed is set by parameters 75, 129, 130, 1304, 1305, 142, 150. Probably should leave those alone, Although I have used 57:02 (Gearbox disable) on a machine once that had a bad shift solenoid. It's handy when the service guys not around and you don't want to keep fighting shift alarms.

Back