What's new
What's new

Haas spindle taper heating up

PizzaTwins

Plastic
My 1995 haas vf2 has a spindle heating up with anything 3k or faster. Heating to well past 150F.

We tried to run the run in program with 30psi. We cleaned the radiator and fan. Nothing has worked. The spindle does not sound bad.

Any tips would be helpful.

Confirm that the air line that carries drops of oil to the spindle bearings is still functional (no cracks, on its fittings), and that the oil is metering correctly.

If you've not seen drips of oil from the spindle at the snout to housing area this may be the problem.

Or, just old age and wear. Is this the original spindle?

It is the original spindle. The machine used to be in a production line so it has lots of wear to it.

Well, start saving up for either a replacement spindle, or do some digging into whether the oil/air is working.

Maybe some searching this site for other Haas spindle issues will help give you insight.

i've got an old VF2 in the same boat. gets real warm over like 3500 RPM. i run it at 3k all day and it's fine, and higher than that for short bursts. bearings are on their way out, run them til they seize.

i've got an old VF2 in the same boat. gets real warm over like 3500 RPM. i run it at 3k all day and it's fine, and higher than that for short bursts. bearings are on their way out, run them til they seize.

I'm not sure I'd advocate running to seizure. These old machines have old circuit boards and controls, putting a current spike through the spindle control when it tries to drive the motor harder might not be good for it.

The Z axis drive on my 1997 VF-2 recently died, so I'm feeling extra fussy about board/control stress...

I could be wrong, but wear would seem to make a spindle run cool, at least mine did. Make sure you aren't feeding too much oil as that will make them run hot.

If there's debris that's blown up into the spindle that could cause hot running. Also, if there's a lot of extra oil it would be bubbling past the spindle and housing, that should be noticeable.

Please confirm that you are running a spindle warm-up program in the morning and that you are running coolant thru the spindle housing or at all.

There is no extra oil coming out of the spindle. And i do run a spindle warm up every day i use the machine. Coolant all the time.

I have had grease pack spindles get hot running 10k for extended periods. I found pointing a coolant hose at the spindle housing helps this substantially. I know this is not the proper fix to your problem but it would nurse you along until you find a solution.

There is no extra oil coming out of the spindle. And i do run a spindle warm up every day i use the machine. Coolant all the time.
I have a '93. The spindle air pressure regulator should be at 15-17 psi. Verify what Milland said earlier- you should be able to see oil moving in that line.

Some oil dripping from the spindle nose is normal. If the machine sits for a long time, the oil can pool up and make it run hot. I start off at 500 rpm for a few minutes, to let the oil get forced out before kicking up the rpm. If you're not seeing any oil at the spindle nose, that's not normal.

Summing up suggestions and summation of my own lengthy battle to fix the problem, '93 vintage.
If your measuring the inside of the taper using an IR tool that's really not bad. I have been up to 180F. 130F seems to be my normal.
If from the machines diagnostic page, that is cooking. The sensing point is against the upper end of the spindle case surrounded by the Z axis casting with no thermal coupling grease [mine has it now]. At this measurement I have seen up to 115F. 105F in a 80F room temp @ 6500rpm for hours is my 'normal'.
As I understand and practice, building up to that temperature is ok, the mass of the unit expands accordingly. Sudden rise by going high speeds cold is bad. This is why race cars have block heater systems.

Summation:

- Always, always run warm up routine from power up or if you need to run over 5k after no spindle use for hour or more

- Check air pressure and oil drop rate [How to in operators manual and Haas website under service]

- Replace air exhaust 'stone' at backside of spindle [this gets clogged, replacing is cheaper than cleaning]

- Change from way oil to Haas recommended 20/30 Mobile 1 waylube [I measured a 15F reduction and no wax buildup]

- Point one or more coolant nozzles at side of spindle [I do this for extended runs 5k and above]

Back