What's new
What's new

Haas st lathe issues

Allin

Plastic
Is anyone having issues with their Haas ST model lathes Specifically chatter while boring issues.. I have had problems with mine for almost two years. I have been around and around with Haas. Wait until you hear their " answers to my issues" It will make you think twice before you even consider purchasing a Haas lathe. I wanna see if anyone else is having the same issues before i give you guys the whole story. I am running out of options, and am going to be taking legal action against Haas.

Operator-issue hahaha. Think not pal. I have been machining for over 30 years 20 + years of which have been CNC machining.... I wanted non bias honest feedback of specific issues before i tread all my haas dirt... So please feel free to share specific issues and experiences related to chatter while boring with Haas st models not just chime in cause you have nothing better to do. Thanks.

Operator-issue hahaha. Think not pal. I have been machining for over 30 years 20 + years of which have been CNC machining.... I wanted non bias honest feedback of specific issues before i tread all my haas dirt... So please feel free to share specific issues and experiences related to chatter while boring with Haas st models not just chime in cause you have nothing better to do. Thanks.

What' specific issue? You say chatter while boring. Okay.....???????? So, care to actually post any details? Feed, speed, insert type, coating, tool holder, material, chuck/collet/whatever? etc etc.

You posted nothing, so you will just get stupid replies like mine that ain't worth 2 shits.

You posted nothing, so you will just get stupid replies like mine that ain't worth 2 shits.

Actually, your post will have value regardless.
a: it may convince the OP to post some details.
b: he doesn't post the details but gets pissy instead.

Win-win the way I see it...

I have 2 ST lathes neither have notable surface finish issues while boring. That is assuming the cutting conditions are reasonable, tool on center, speeds and feeds are correct, etc. What is you floor like, slab thickness?

My floor is a six inches thick. I'm not looking for advice on how to fix chatter while boring. I know how to turn parts on a cnc Lathe. I'm just trying to get feed back on anyone else having issues with there st lathes. Thanks for the reply loner industries what size are your lathes? mines a 25

My floor is a six inches thick. I'm not looking for advice on how to fix chatter while boring. I know how to turn parts on a cnc Lathe. I'm just trying to get feed back on anyone else having issues with there st lathes. Thanks for the reply loner industries what size are your lathes? mines a 25

You don't say??

Have a Haas ST20, not one problem with it... but of course I am not sharing details if you aren't! :stirthepot:

This should be good! :D

Ahhh yes. Just because you've been doing it for blah blah blah years, doesn't mean you've been doing it right. Post more info.

Our ST10 bores just fine.

This is pretty simple.
HAAS == 10.000 machines per year.
== 3000 lathes.

It is obvious 3000 lathes don´t get shipped/sold if they are all crap.
Something is wrong, somewhere.

Could, maybe, be the machine.
This is unlikely.
Add details.

You guys are great.... So here is some info on my issues. I have high frequency chatter when boring most materials 4140 300 stainless titanium ect. normal speeds and feeds and D.O.C Ref. on stainless s700 f .012 d.o.c. .03 3/4 trigon bi-metal bar sticking out 2.5 i have also tried carbide bars with even worse results. I can get an okay finish if you baby it and by baby i mean slow and light.... So I have been working with Haas application at my local HFO and even California. We have ruled out tooling or programming error several times ( I think its so funny that you guys automatically assume that the person is machining wrong i guess that says a lot about whats out there... and how smart we are as "machinist")So after lots of replacement parts like a new spindle and new spindle drive and about 50-60 hrs of service yes 50+ hours of service!!! Haas has come back with this They said that they where able to duplicate the chatter on a brand new machine in California and the answer is... defective tool holder blocks for id tooling they said that by using both set screws to tighten bars it creates uneven tension o bar which causes the chatter. Which is why i cant figure out how more people are not having the same issues as me. They are working on replacement design for new blocks. I actually like the haas Brand!I have several Haas mills and started my shop with a "very first one machine" plastic machine serial # 1336 that is why its so disheartening to me to have to bash haas and go thru this. But i am trying to run a business i cannot afford to have a brand new machine on my floor that cannot produce parts efficiently. I ask Haas to take back the machine and at first they said they would if they couldn't fix the problem but now they are silent... Bottom line if you sold someone a product that couldn't preform you should take it back no bones about it. I am aware that Haas sells lots of machine tools and tons of Lathes and that sometimes their are duds among production... but am i the "customer" or not. I will prob. never buy another New Haas machine this has been a very exhausting experience that has cost me lots of time and $$. I was just trying to reach out and see if anyone else has had similar issues. Thanks!

You guys are great.... So here is some info on my issues. I have high frequency chatter when boring most materials 4140 300 stainless titanium ect. normal speeds and feeds and D.O.C Ref. on stainless s700 f .012 d.o.c. .03 3/4 trigon bi-metal bar sticking out 2.5 i have also tried carbide bars with even worse results. I can get an okay finish if you baby it and by baby i mean slow and light.... So I have been working with Haas application at my local HFO and even California. We have ruled out tooling or programming error several times ( I think its so funny that you guys automatically assume that the person is machining wrong i guess that says a lot about whats out there... and how smart we are as "machinist")So after lots of replacement parts like a new spindle and new spindle drive and about 50-60 hrs of service yes 50+ hours of service!!! Haas has come back with this They said that they where able to duplicate the chatter on a brand new machine in California and the answer is... defective tool holder blocks for id tooling they said that by using both set screws to tighten bars it creates uneven tension o bar which causes the chatter. Which is why i cant figure out how more people are not having the same issues as me. They are working on replacement design for new blocks. I actually like the haas Brand!I have several Haas mills and started my shop with a "very first one machine" plastic machine serial # 1336 that is why its so disheartening to me to have to bash haas and go thru this. But i am trying to run a business i cannot afford to have a brand new machine on my floor that cannot produce parts efficiently. I ask Haas to take back the machine and at first they said they would if they couldn't fix the problem but now they are silent... Bottom line if you sold someone a product that couldn't preform you should take it back no bones about it. I am aware that Haas sells lots of machine tools and tons of Lathes and that sometimes their are duds among production... but am i the "customer" or not. I will prob. never buy another New Haas machine this has been a very exhausting experience that has cost me lots of time and $$. I was just trying to reach out and see if anyone else has had similar issues. Thanks!

Since you are new to the forum, you have to also understand that many of us that frequent this and other sites have seen a wide range of topics and complaints. (All manufactures included) Many times, when someone posts a vague complaint looking for feedback, the majority of the time, IMO, they are just looking for attention and for someone to take their side while conveniently leaving out many of the details that do not support their side of the story. Your initial post fit that scenario to a tee; vague complaint - Check!, Haas won't help me (close to what you said) - check!, threaten legal action - bonus check!, and basically new to the forum as noted by your low post count.

That said, given the details of your last post, you clearly have done and put up with quite a lot to resolve your issue. It is very unfortunate that you even have to go through this hassle. I would also agree that their solutions is a bit weak and it probably would not satisfy myself either.

There are many people here (myself included) who like to help others wherever they can, so hopefully you will visit again when needed or to offer solutions yourself sometime. We also won't hesitate to have a little fun and/or poke the bear, so to speak from time to time.

Good luck with your issue and please do report back with any updates.

Last edited:
Thank you. I totally understand where you are coming from. Although i have not posted on practical machinist i have learned a lot from other people on the site. Its one of my first resources when i cannot figure out something.. someone has always been there done that so to speak and there are some extremely talented guys on here!! I was trying not to air out "Haas dirt" so to speak and i was hoping for just some non bias feedback. Most the guys i talk to that a running there st machines like them.. That is why i am baffled.. Thanks

have you tried different holder/bushing configurations to determine if that's where the issue came from? one of the most important things about setting up a bar is the holder/bushing config... making sure it's on center, stays on center, does not move or vibrate anywhere it shouldn't...

Thanks for the update.
And all points you noted re: exp., re: toolholders, re: work done are 100% positive.

50+ work hours free from HAAS, plus parts !
That IS excellent customer service.

Sometimes, problems are hard. Rare, but it does happen.
The best anyone can hope for is a manufacturer who responds, pays attention, pays for service, is willing to change parts.
It seems, to me, HAAS did all that.

It also seems to me, that You were very justified in asking for all above, and received it.
You are of course right that the manufacturer of a major capital goods product like a CNC lathe must respond -
and from all You said they have done so.

From my POV HAAS did great - with a difficult, unusual, non-recurring problem.
I am sorry You were the one to face this.
Your latest post(s) were also much more detailed, factual, and useful than the first ones.
No offense meant, none.

If You really think HAAS did no do well ...
My personal opinion, based on lots of experience, is that 90%+ of other manufacturers would do much worse.

About 90-95-98% of all new modern machine tools work well.
From all brands. Within their limits/range of course.

Sometimes stuff happens.
Don´t blame HAAS.
Be really happy they were willing to support the product through seemingly intractable problems, with expensive stuff, at their expense.
Imo.

Back