What's new
What's new

HAAS ST30 Z Value Changed

DavidSean

Plastic
Good morning. We have a HAAS ST30 lathe where a Z value in the program was changed from +.002" to +26.1265".... The program ran a month ago and was saved back to the hard drive. Only 2 people run this machine, one of which doesn't have the know how to make a change like that. Thankfully this was a positive value and didn't crash the turret into the chuck. Has anyone had a value like this changed due to a power surge or something like that? We can't figure out how in the hell a value was changed so much.

Years back, one of my guys and I were standing at a machine, both looking at the offset page (this was a mill, VF2ss).
One of the Z values changed all by itself. Neither of us were touching the machine. But, we both saw it happen.
It was one of those "whoa! did you see that?!" moments. Where both parties immediately look at each other with a WTF look on their faces.
I wouldn't have believed it, had he not seen the very same thing.

I've heard of the offset changing randomly in the new mills, but not on a lathe. I'm assuming this is an NGC control? Mill has been out a year or so, lathe is catching up.

The absolute best thing you can do when something like this happens: immediately hit shift-F3 and save the error report to a USB stick. Try not to hit reset or E stop, since that changes the IO state.

That way, when you let the HFO know what the problem was, we have a snapshot of the precise state your machine was in when the error occurred. Having the data is much more effective to work with than someone simply saying "the machine is doing something wrong"

Back