Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would definitely recommend a Set Tru 3 jaw chuck, a plain 3 jaw is so much less useful. We have a combination 4 jaw for ours as well, used it once in two years. Changing chucks can be aggravating. We do not have a collet chuck but I wish we did for some small jobs. Much more rigid that way.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Big thanks to everyone who have responded and shared their experience, and help us steer in the right direction. Signed for the HAAS machine today! Excited! Expecting delivery in a few weeks. HFO said to look for a 5000 lb USPS First Class envelope in my mailbox.

3. Likes countryguy, kineticmx liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

congratulations!!👍😉

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a much better plan than the grizzly. We bought a tl2 this year. I hope you got he tailstock. It's actually pretty nice on the new one. My only real complaint with ours is they quit making the arm for the pendant swing so its absolutely in the way at times. We got the qctp with ours. The variety we turn requires way more than the 4 tool turret would allow. Its not unusual for us to use 5 or 6 tools on a job. The 8 position turret can't use the tailstock. I was making some parts that are 23 inches long on it yesterday out of 4140ht. No way I would want to make that without the tailstock.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Howdy Griffin! Thanks for the post. We did get the new tailstock. I am glad we did that. I recommend getting it. Very well made, it is a tank, and arrived from the factory right on the spot. We put an MT4 chuck (South Bend) and live center (GGTech) in it. Very happy with those. We have the Samchully chuck and the Dorian Quadra QCTP for workholding and tooling, with inserts courtesy of ISCAR and Kennametal. Performance is excellent, keeps tenths all day long. Ever since we got the machine we have received and delivered several jobs, machine is paying for itself and I am very happy with/about it. From my dayjob I have experience with Mazak Quickturn lathes, a very well preserved Monarch EE, Hardinge, and a few Clausing-Colchesters. HAAS had to work hard to impress me, and I can say they deliver with the new TL.

My only complaint is ... with doors closed and tailstock close to workpiece, you cannot reach the tailstock. You would have to walk around it, bend over the coolant tank, and half climb inside the machine. Even if you were brave (!) enough to do that with an armed CNC machine there are no graduations on the handwheel so you do not know depths. Quill has graduations but they are going to be behind the left door. Here is HAAS' homework assignment:

1) Add a setup routine where we can run the lathe with left door closed and right door open, so we can drill with tailstock.
    2) Add graduations to tailstock handwheel so we know how deep we drilled.

7. Likes Griffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I basically don't drill with the tailstock. I have done as you describe at times. I really try to avoid it. I have a couple of drill chucks that go on the qctp. One of them is just on a straight shank into a boring bar holder. It works great but takes a bit to get it all setup. If you haven't, take the time to sweep in the qctp. It will make being able to drill with it go much better. My tooling block was very square. I used the dowel pins and put some shim stock between it and the qctp to take up any possible slack. It's very tight but it stays true to the machine even with heavy roughing (for a toolroom lathe). I was taking a .125 doc (.250 diameter reduction), 550 sfm, and 0.018 ipr in 1018 the other day.

Another thing they really should do is offer a material depth stop. The back of the spindle is already drilled and tapped. We made our own in the shop. It's worked out really nice for doing multiples. We made 15 shafts on it the other day that this really helped.

Something else that wasn't super obvious is what to buy for soft jaws. In our case, 10" american standard tongue and groove jaws fit perfect. We asked around some including to our haas rep before figuring this out.

Did you get the a2-5 spindle or the a2-6?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could you list all the options you got with the machine? I'm going to be in the market for one in <1 year.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As with most machine tools, cost of decent tooling can easily match the machine cost.
    Don't have an opinion on the TL, but in my experience in order to use the speed and power of your CNC lathe you really need better chuck gripping power than a standard scroll chuck.

The "A" spindle makes rapid chuck changes more of a task....so having a work holding setup that has better flexibility without changing becomes a factor....
    My personal choice would be to invest in a quick change jaw style of manual chuck such as a Schunk or SMW, or Rohm. The second advantage is in gripping power. Quick

change chucks due to the wedge closing setup offer much higher part gripping. This will become apparent with a common scroll chuck when the work slips down the chuck when running a program....
    Further because of the wedge setup closing is constant with uniform engagement (unlike a scroll that changes contact geometry as the jaws move in or out) The overall
    accuracy and repeatability are just better....

Clamping Technology
    Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A little late to the show, but I believe you made the right decision.

You can grow with the Haas, not be held back like you would have been with the Other choice. When you outgrow the TL, you can sell quickly at a good price and put money towards an SL or...

The other best thing is when you have a question or problem, call your HFO for help...if anything like mine they will have the answers quickly OR will get them. Need a part, next day is not a problem most times and at reasonable prices...( for CNC stuff anyway)

Try that with a Grizzly...