What's new
What's new

Haas TL-1 conversational crash course

rbmgf7

Aluminum
Anyone have any documents or videos on how to operate the conversational programming on these lathes?

We have one in our shop that was used back in the day when we had tool room guys but they're all gone and so this machine sits.

So far if I have to make a widget, I just use the manual lathe but I think it would help speed things up if I can get this machine running again.

Thanks.

It is pretty self explanatory. Do you know how to power it up and maneuver around thru the different screens?

Never ask for a "crash course" when it comes to machine tools.

Unless you want an expert at it. My fees are reasonable, and the burning rubble I leave behind is thoroughly mangled.

There is a video or two on Haas's site. A TL-1 was our first endeavor into CNC. I just sat there at the control in IPS and figured it out. I should not be difficult. If you get stuck you can ask here and we will try and help.

Good luck it's not very hard.

I flipped some levers, pushed some buttons, and turned some handles.

I'm getting the hang of it. Figured out the facing, turning, and threading which is the bulk of what I'll need. Dry cycled it then loaded a part and ran super slow. I machined a part to a rough OD, measured it, then adjusted to a finish OD but it undersized it anyways. I found the manual but it's vague like all CNC machine manuals. I'll just have to poke at it some more. Good thing it has a deadman's switch so as I crash, the element of surprise should trigger me to cuss, crap, and release the button.

Depending on the software you can dissable that deadman switch. I never liked it and it was in my way. Also in the future you may need to let us know what software version or at least what year your machine is as the software changes depending on the machine. But you are taking the right course, just keep poking and learning.

Charles

I'm getting the hang of it. Figured out the facing, turning, and threading which is the bulk of what I'll need. Dry cycled it then loaded a part and ran super slow. I machined a part to a rough OD, measured it, then adjusted to a finish OD but it undersized it anyways. I found the manual but it's vague like all CNC machine manuals. I'll just have to poke at it some more. Good thing it has a deadman's switch so as I crash, the element of surprise should trigger me to cuss, crap, and release the button.

The most useful feature is profile in the turn section. You can learn to turn all sorts of shapes.

Keep it up and soon you'll be a pro.

Run it at 5% rapids while proving out your program so it won't go slamming into something before you can react if you turn off the deadman's switch. There's a decent youtube video on programming IPS that's about 30 minutes long. We have a TL2 but it has VPS which I like better. It's kinda one of those things you just have to spend time with it. I always double check my code for the most negative Z move and verify I have more stock sticking out of the chuck than the Z move length. Make sure to take into account the Z length used up by facing the stock as well. I do them in different steps a lot of the time. Ie I'll face the material then measure the Z length for OD turning.

Why not set Z0 at chuck front so your WCS never has to move, all moves are positive, and if you see a negative Z value you know you need to check on things? On my lathe the G54 is hard jaw front, G55 is soft jaw front, and G56 is collet chuck front. It really simplifies things IMO.

The only programming or operator's manuals that are really well written, and clearly laid out, are the ones being read by a person that has already mastered the system before they decided to take the plastic wrapper off the books.
Turn the feeds and rapids to 10%, and try single block after you go tinkle. Lathe programming uses lots of canned cycles that can really help.

Why not set Z0 at chuck front so your WCS never has to move, all moves are positive, and if you see a negative Z value you know you need to check on things? On my lathe the G54 is hard jaw front, G55 is soft jaw front, and G56 is collet chuck front. It really simplifies things IMO.
How is this method easier than the traditional method of Z zero being the face of the part?
Lets say face of your part is Z 2.0 and then the other features of the part go like 1.8, 1.25, and so on. This is completely backwards.
I can't think of any reason why anyone would prefer this method.

Back