What's new
What's new

Haas TM-1 MOCON Error, very random, how do I figure this one out?

laminar-flow

Stainless
This MOCON #1 error, which shows as an error 0071 which Haas says is the X axis, has recently repeated more than a few times. It did it during a cycle, then once with nothing moving and just the coolant pump on, then I cleared it and it did it two seconds after clearing the MOCON error. I reseated the X axis plug, wiggled cables, etc and so far so good.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

another thing to do is the 2 ribbon cables on the bottom of the boards reseat them. if it still does it, then check you cable connections at the motor end.

Had similar on a spanking new VF-2.

Put a call into Haas and they asked if I'd mind pulling and reseatng the cable or should they send someone. I needed machine and didn't have time to wait for someone...so they walked me through a pretty simple unplug and replug thinking I go me a Lemon and Not enough Lemonade could I ever make to make this right...but that was 7 years ago and aside from a chip on a proximity switch its been running aces.

Hope the same results for you.

After reseating the plugs on the motors, it seemed to reduced the frequency of the Mocon Error a bit. We then made a plastic air flow guide to blow more air on the Mocon circuit board. It was running max about 100F and the modified duct reduced it to 80F. This did seem to make it less frequent. I removed the Mocon Board and blew it off with air, inspected for cold solder joints, and made a better duct to direct more air over the Mocon board. This also cycled all the plugs. In two days we had only one Mocon error. Much better. Could it be temperature related? The shop stays around 60 to 70 year round.

We can pay to get the Hass tech out to update the software which should identify the cause of the mocon alarm, but since we are a few hours away, it is expensive. We are still thinking about this.

Another option is to re-install the existing software from the thumb drive that came with the machine.

Is it common for Haas controls to have corrupted code?

it can happen, but it's a rarity. haas trys there best to test software before releasing it. but they cant know every application and variable it will be applied to.

Last week, after removing the Mocon board, checking all the connectors, looking for cold solder joints (only on the big stuff as the surface mount looked fine), blowing it off with clean air, re-installing it, and again cycling all the plugs on the motors and encoders, we had the Mocon error later in the day. Then once the next day. These were with the machine running a part or just sitting there (no e-stop). Then Friday, there were no Mocon errors so I left it on over night (no e-stop) and no error. Same Sat and Sunday. I'm leaving it on and will report. Any ideas?

Had similar on a spanking new VF-2.

Put a call into Haas and they asked if I'd mind pulling and reseatng the cable or should they send someone. I needed machine and didn't have time to wait for someone...so they walked me through a pretty simple unplug and replug thinking I go me a Lemon and Not enough Lemonade could I ever make to make this right...but that was 7 years ago and aside from a chip on a proximity switch its been running aces.

Hope the same results for you.

whoa! memories! Seriously hate that air nozzle cleaning method; blows chips onto the Prox Witches and yields some real interesting symptoms!

Last week, after removing the Mocon board, checking all the connectors, looking for cold solder joints (only on the big stuff as the surface mount looked fine), blowing it off with clean air, re-installing it, and again cycling all the plugs on the motors and encoders, we had the Mocon error later in the day. Then once the next day. These were with the machine running a part or just sitting there (no e-stop). Then Friday, there were no Mocon errors so I left it on over night (no e-stop) and no error. Same Sat and Sunday. I'm leaving it on and will report. Any ideas?

Hoss' is right-on with Voltage verification. Some drift on those low voltage values can cause intermittent problems and usually do react to temperature change. Leaving the machine on / keeps a smaller heat range from the lows to the highs. Another advantage to leaving the machine on is more uniform temperatures throughout the control enclosure. I hear that when a VDC conductor is cold it presents less resistance than when hot. (Ref. super-cooled computing.) That gets back to Hoss' verification idea; voltages set at their specification will handle more temperature change without error. Or, dimensional changes during warm-up may be the culprit. I've sprayed some Cool-in-a-can product on suspect components to get the error to occur while I'm watching. (Good way to get shocked or blow a fuse; don't ask me how I know that.)

The 5 volt power is stable. We checked it with the Fluke on min/max and it didn't move even with the Mocon fault. Roger that, used clean filtered air very carefully just in the already very clean electronics cabinet. Thoughts were a piece of aluminum dust across a connection on the board.

We wait.

The 5 volt power is stable. We checked it with the Fluke on min/max and it didn't move even with the Mocon fault. Roger that, used clean filtered air very carefully just in the already very clean electronics cabinet. Thoughts were a piece of aluminum dust across a connection on the board.

We wait.

So here we are again, Unknown MOCON1 alarm. We have been leaving the TM1 on continuously but recently, because of some work at a customer's lab, we turned the TM1 off for a week. When we returned, we started having the MOCON1 error again. It ran for 4 hours and we had one, then ran a few more hours and had another. Then the next day, we had many in a cluster, sometimes not being able to re-set. See video link.

We are running again and waiting for it to MOCON1 again, hopefully not in a tool change. I contacted the Haas rep and waiting a reply.

Any ideas? The machine is a 2010 TM1

HAAS unknown MOCON1 alarm - YouTube

Well, after leaving it on again for several weeks, we are no longer getting MOCON alarms. Not turning CNC machines off any more. Maybe one day it will just fail completely and I can get it repaired. But to chase an intermittent problem would be costly.

An update... After leaving the Haas on all the time, six weeks later we have not seen another MOCON error. Also, it went off for a few hours because of a power failure but started up and ran again with no MOCON errors.

A week ago we had about 20 unknown MOCON errors all in the space of about a few hours. Some seconds apart. The TM1 had been on continuously. That afternoon the errors stopped, and as of today they have not returned. I wish it would just completely fail so I could call out the Haas tech.

Me too! :cool: Want to know what it has been !

Anything like other equipment in the AC power chain popping on /off ? Maybe pop a meter on the LV power supply with minimum monitoring (which records the last lowest voltage noted) and see what the 5V's is doing? Hey. as a thought, you call the CA factory and ask someone there if they have any thoughts on MOCON stuff... Weird man! Hope ya figure it out. Yaknow, Hoss710 posted something a long time ago about a guy (and he) who got weird intermittent logic errors from time to time. Thy determined the grounding wires on the CPU set when connected seems to perpetuate the occurrence. Theory was grounding loop issue of some type. (something like that anyway) and in the end, leaving the small signal grounding lines off the CPU frame area (or something like that) was his cure and someone elses. Just making noise... try something out da' box
maybe? My older haas had like 4 or 5 grounding lines that come around from the board sets and attache to the logic board set metal covers .
And then, on the LV power supply itself- May older posts on odd logic errors always say.. Replace the LV PS. which is like $45 bucks from Amazon. I did mine in about 1.5 hours.

A week ago we had about 20 unknown MOCON errors all in the space of about a few hours. Some seconds apart. The TM1 had been on continuously. That afternoon the errors stopped, and as of today they have not returned. I wish it would just completely fail so I could call out the Haas tech.

Just an update... Haas TM1 still staying on all the time, still no MOCON error. Whew!!!

If anyone has a clip on amp probe, I'd like to know how much the TM1 draws on E-Stop.

Back