What's new
What's new

Tool capacity.... and Minimill vs OM

pbreed

Plastic
I'm looking at upgrading from my Tormach to a haas.
This is for small prototype parts, very rarely do I make more than one of anything.

If I list the tools I find myself using I rapidly go past 10 tools.
I can probably restrict single runs/operations to 10 tools, but I'd like to have at least 20 available.

I'm really limited in space and door height. I believe I can get a Mini-Mill in the garage, but I believe the mini-mill-2 is too high.

The minimill is limited to 10 tools.

How quickly can on change the tools.... IE are tools always numbered 1 to 10, or can I say have a library of 30 tools and tell the machine that tool 26 is loaded in slot 7?

Every thing I machine is aluminum and small, I'm really tempted by a used OM-2A on Ebay right now The 30K rpm spindle and 20 tools is really attractive.... I almost never use a cutter bigger than 3/8 would I regret the ISO-20 30K spindle?

Lastly looking at other machines most are three phase, whatt can I run on a a phase converter and 50A 220V breaker? Could I run a VF-1 with that?

VF-1?

Thoughts...

....Lastly looking at other machines most are three phase, whatt can I run on a a phase converter and 50A 220V breaker? Could I run a VF-1 with that?

VF-1?

Thoughts...

Subject to a lot of controversy, but I believe you could run even a VF4 on that with a rotary phase converter. Also guessing your 50a is an open/available breaker size and not necessarily your amp limit.

Actually it is close to my Amp limit. We are in an older subdivision with 50 yr old buried power lines.
The transformer that feeds 4 houses on our corner is 50 KVA.

I have run Officemills for 10 years. For the right things they are good, but you have to undrestand the spindles limitations. If you want to remove alot of material it is not the right machine. 3/8" cutter is absolute maximum, watch gauge line and take light cuts at 30K rpm in alu. Tool changes are also quite slow.
If you make small parts in alu or plastic it is a good machine.

/Staffan

That's a reasonbly clean machine, price would get you a full VF-4 or so of a similar year with much more utility for most work. But if you have to fit it in a garage with limited power, the office mill might not be a bad choice.

BTW, these are some "funky" looking holders - I've never seen this style before!*

*I've lead a sheltered life...

s-l1600.jpg

you can run a vf4 off the 50 amp 220 breaker ,, I run one hard on a 60 amp breaker and have for years ,, its a SS model and I have had the spindle in the red most days ..

I would say look at a 2008 or newer mini mill or even a TM mill .. the OM mill is super small and the holders are not vary standard being a ISO 20 ...

Machines are just like cars and you want something standard,,, there is a TON of mini mills out there and I have only ever seen one OM. TM seen to be about the same price used as a mini but there not half the machine a mini is ...

I have phase converter with 20hp 98 VF-OE on a 45a breaker. Other members running more on less.
VF-0 thru VF-2 will fit in a garage with only minor mods (2'x4' ceiling vault between rafters)

Below is a link to a YouTuber with an OM-2. Reading between the lines the video is more or less about realizing machine limitations. Note the size of the part in his hand as you see it in the machine.
YouTube

I have run Officemills for 10 years. For the right things they are good, but you have to undrestand the spindles limitations. If you want to remove alot of material it is not the right machine. 3/8" cutter is absolute maximum, watch gauge line and take light cuts at 30K rpm in alu. Tool changes are also quite slow.
If you make small parts in alu or plastic it is a good machine.
I better look that one up. We've had a few people who wanted one. They are supposedly super for tiny parts, but as you point out, not that great for anything bigger. But for tiny, they are like $100,000 cheaper than the next better machine.

kpotter oughta look this one up ...

To answer the other part of your question

Yes you can use more than 10 tools but you have to manually change them after T10.
You would not call a toolchange, just prog. stop, hand change, cycle start. Use H11, H12, etc.
You would also have to turn off H&T Code Agreement in the Settings.

Back