What's new
What's new

Haas tm1, going from single phase to three phase - query

Dangle_kt

Aluminum
Hi guys, I have had my Haas tm1 in the garage for a year, and just moved to a small unit with a 3 phase power supply.
I have gone to wire in the Haas according to the manual and noticed some queries id rather check before putting power to the machine and letting the smoke out.

Previously on single phase live went to L1, neutral to L2. This isn't in the manual, but it had been done by the previous owner and it worked fine.

The Haas tm1 manual suggests on three phase live goes to L1, L2 and L3...and no neutral is wired in.

That would seem ok for aIMG_0783.jpg Wye setup (think that is what it is called), except in the old setup L2 was neutral, and now it's live....that seems like I'm about to have a very expensive bill.

The electrician I had is not used to 3 phase not running a neutral and suggested I ask around before causing expensive damage.

A complicating factor is that in the UK our three phase is 400v, not 200v, so the manual reads wrong already.. so that undermines my confidence.

Any advice please? Thank you

Hi guys, I have had my Haas tm1 in the garage for a year, and just moved to a small unit with a 3 phase power supply.
I have gone to wire in the Haas according to the manual and noticed some queries id rather check before putting power to the machine and letting the smoke out.

Previously on single phase live went to L1, neutral to L2. This isn't in the manual, but it had been done by the previous owner and it worked fine.

The Haas tm1 manual suggests on three phase live goes to L1, L2 and L3...and no neutral is wired in.

That would seem ok for aView attachment 219937 Wye setup (think that is what it is called), except in the old setup L2 was neutral, and now it's live....that seems like I'm about to have a very expensive bill.

The electrician I had is not used to 3 phase not running a neutral and suggested I ask around before causing expensive damage.

A complicating factor is that in the UK our three phase is 400v, not 200v, so the manual reads wrong already.. so that undermines my confidence.

Any advice please? Thank you

I don't have my TM1 yet but am familiar with the function of VFD's in my job. Check the nameplate on the unit to make sure your 400vac input fits within the range of the drive. L1, L2 and L3 is all that's needed for a VFD. The AC input gets rectified to DC and charges up a DC bus, the output is pulse width modulation to make the DC look like AC. Several advantages to this design including changing the motor frequency to adjust spindle RPM.

Just an update on this in case anyone else ever finds this useful.

My mill is set up for SINGLE phase only - this is despite the rear plate saying 3 phase.... the tech thinks at some point in its life it's had some replacement parts fitted and in doing so they removed the 3 phase stuff and replaced with single phase only.

The give away is that a three phase unit has 3 large round transformer coils at the bottom of the unit, and the single phase has a single 4 inch square next tot he 320v transformer.

The lesson is - don;t plug stuff in without checking, as if I had it would have gone POP in a big way!

Hi,

...the tech thinks at some point in its life it's had some replacement parts fitted and in doing so they removed the 3 phase stuff and replaced with single phase only...

Do you know what were the modifications? I think I have a very similar setup on my MM2 (400V, big transformer at the bottom) and want to hook it ip to Single Phase 240V.

My post HAAS Mini Mill 2 Single Phase high voltage (MM2)

Cheers,
Dimos

Back