Haas TM2 X axis chatter - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The play in the Y axis is what I originally assumed was the issue. If you put an indicator on the the table and push on it there is about 4-6 tenths of play in either direction (a little over a 1 thou total). When I say "play" I mean that the indicator will not return to zero after you take the pressure off. Also if you jog in the tenths increments it takes about 5 tenths before the indicator will begin to register the movement.

I showed this to the first tech and he checked the backlash by programming 2" of movement in all three axis then reversing back to the start point. Doing it that way showed about 1 tenth of backlash at the most in the Y with almost none in the X or Z axis. From that he concluded that backlash wasn't the issue.

Good news is the new ballscrew and bearings are getting replaced at the end of the week and a ballbar test will be done.

To be fair to the first tech, he has been the one I prefer. He has been great with troubleshooting and fixing any issues quickly and overall very helpful. Perhaps it was just an off day for him.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    The play in the Y axis is what I originally assumed was the issue. If you put an indicator on the the table and push on it there is about 4-6 tenths of play in either direction (a little over a 1 thou total). When I say "play" I mean that the indicator will not return to zero after you take the pressure off. Also if you jog in the tenths increments it takes about 5 tenths before the indicator will begin to register the movement.

I showed this to the first tech and he checked the backlash by programming 2" of movement in all three axis then reversing back to the start point. Doing it that way showed about 1 tenth of backlash at the most in the Y with almost none in the X or Z axis. From that he concluded that backlash wasn't the issue.

Good news is the new ballscrew and bearings are getting replaced at the end of the week and a ballbar test will be done.

To be fair to the first tech, he has been the one I prefer. He has been great with troubleshooting and fixing any issues quickly and overall very helpful. Perhaps it was just an off day for him.
    Sorry to dig this thread up from the grave. Did this resolve your issue? I just noticed this for the first time on my TM2P last night. Admittedly it may have been a bit aggressive, and I dont notice the issue on Alum at all. 3/4" Destiny Raptor 3/6, 500sfm, 3/4" DOC, 0.125 WOC. Y direction cut like butter all the way up to 70 IPM, X would chatter to no end no matter what I did.

Thanks

3. Likes BMXJeff2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My TM2P is right at 2 years old and I have noticed witness marks on direction changes increasing in size to the point that I can feel them now. The worst is concaved radius when it changes from say X+Y- to X+Y+ it leaves an increasingly unsightly mark that is getting bigger. Been thinking about having HAAS out to look. Curious how this worked out too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Witness marks...have you checked your backlash lately?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everyone with HAAS mill using grease should be aware. Mix your coolant right and check the guide rails.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since theres some other TM guys in here... Do you notice your X axis rapid to be slower than Y axis? HAAS says they should both be 400 on the P, but its very noticeable on mine that the X is slower than Y.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you cant cut steel 3/4 doc .125 with woc...it WILL CHATTER...i have a TM1p these are not vf2's

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Witness marks...have you checked your backlash lately?
    Checked today. It shows up to a half thou depending on where and what speed I move away and back. Pushing on the table anywhere doesn't show more than .0005 and springs back to zero in x and y.

Just went and grabbed a part then looked at the code and realized that the mark is in the middle of a single line of code not a transition so it isn't the control stopping though I can HEAR a pause. Looking at the mark closer I think it might be tool deflection transitioning from one direction to the next. I am going to run the same part, same code but repeat the finish pass and see if it decreases.

I have noticed exactly what the OP posted though. I was finishing some 2.5" tall AL parts the other day with a 3/4" 3FLT Carbide finisher and the X would vibrate and Y was perfect. Change speed and the chatter would reverse to the other axis. Took 10 minutes of test cuts on a sample part to get both to not vibrate at all. 1000 RPM @ 25 IPM solved it, but MAN that is slow on Carbide.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been having this trouble. Just got a New Y axis Ball screw and Nut. Same Backlash as before and Chatter. You ever figure this out? My Tech sucks : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BMXJeff2 View Post
    I have been having this trouble. Just got a New Y axis Ball screw and Nut. Same Backlash as before and Chatter. You ever figure this out? My Tech sucks : )
    Sort of... I bought a Speedio. Then 2 more. Now the Haas only does diamond drag engraving so it doesn't effect my parts