What's new
What's new

Haas - Tool offsetter issue (WIPS) - Tools are off

Prototypical

Aluminum
Let me see if I can explain this.

I have calibrated the tool offsetter using a "master" with a .2552 gauge pin according to the instructions.

I have used the tool offsetter to get the offset for the Probe itself.

Probe has been calibrated per the instructions as well.

I have used the Probe to find the Z offset to the table itself (G55)

Now....

I have set a tool using the offsetter. Tool 3 is 1/2" endmill.

I go to MDI - input G90 G55 - G43 H3 - G0 Z2. (This sends tool 3 to 2" above the table)

When I go to check it and I put a 123 Block under the tool I have to lower the tool .006 to get it to touch the top of the block.

Where could this .006" error be coming from? Is is the Probe or the tool offsetter?

Sounds like you need to shim the table up .006"

Or maybe, what tool setting routine are you using, the straight down one or the one where it rotates ccw? With a 1/2" cutter, you're right on the edge of the tool setter stylus. Try the rotating one and see if that helps.

Ok. Now what's weird is that I leveled that out. And now when I do my offsets I'm getting very large numbers. Before I was getting offsets of say 7.34 for a tool, now that tool is coming in with an offset of 13.7" (?)

you calibrated the master for a diameter with a pin, but you didn't appear to calibrate the length. There's a complete probe calibration option in VPS that needs a calibrated tool with known gage length and diameter.

you calibrated the master for a diameter with a pin, but you didn't appear to calibrate the length. There's a complete probe calibration option in VPS that needs a calibrated tool with known gage length and diameter.

This was the problem. I got it within .0005 or better now. I had to play around with the gauge length numbers to get it.

Need to use a dial test indicator to measure the gage length. Zero on the face of the spindle then zero in the control under position. Wheel the Axis up and zero the dti on the bottom face of the calibrated tool

That number on the position page is your gage length you will use for probe calibration

Need to use a dial test indicator to measure the gage length. Zero on the face of the spindle then zero in the control under position. Wheel the Axis up and zero the dti on the bottom face of the calibrated tool

That number on the position page is your gage length you will use for probe calibration

aahhh...ok. I will do this. I remember being told a long time ago that the gauge length started at some imaginary plane close to the face of the spindle. I will do this tomorrow and see what I get. thanks!!

This actually didn't get me a correct number. It gave me a larger number than what I was previously using. But perhaps if I started with that number it might have been a different story.

So what I did was started off with 4.9" (scale measure) gauge length. Went through the entire process. Set a tool using the new parameters (1/4" endmill). Used the probe to touch off the table for a Z=zero (G59) Sent the 1/4" tool to 2" above the table using G59. Checked it with my 123 block. The tool was .0052" above the 123 block. So I subtracted .0052 from my 4.9" gauge length - 4.8948" now. Went back to calibration page and used 4.8948 as the new number, went through entire process again. Now tools are coming out within .0002 when I check with a 123 block.

If you are not shifting the tool over half the diameter you will get about that much error. The tool setter is 10MM and since endmill bottoms taper inwards towards the center its actually straddling the probe with the recess of the taper.

If you are not shifting the tool over half the diameter you will get about that much error. The tool setter is 10MM and since endmill bottoms taper inwards towards the center its actually straddling the probe with the recess of the taper.

I would do it while rotating. The tool was moving half the diameter over, spinning then touching off. The issue I found was that my master gauge length was not correct. Now my tools are coming in within .0002.

I know there are work arounds, but save yourself the headaches and get one of these -

CAT40 Tool Probe Calibrator - Made in USA MariTool

It's soooo nice to have an actual tool to use in each machine. I noticed when I started at this job that on each machine the work probe had differing H values, by as much as .25", even though using a scale they checked the same. When our tool probe went down I "made" them (asked nicely I mean LoL) buy a master calibration tool like this ^ one (we have a little different one than the Maritool). After setting up the tool probe in the machine that needed a replacement, I re-did the calibration in the next machine and lo and behold now the work probes are within .001" of each other. :)

I know there are work arounds, but save yourself the headaches and get one of these -

CAT40 Tool Probe Calibrator - Made in USA MariTool

It's soooo nice to have an actual tool to use in each machine. I noticed when I started at this job that on each machine the work probe had differing H values, by as much as .25", even though using a scale they checked the same. When our tool probe went down I "made" them (asked nicely I mean LoL) buy a master calibration tool like this ^ one (we have a little different one than the Maritool). After setting up the tool probe in the machine that needed a replacement, I re-did the calibration in the next machine and lo and behold now the work probes are within .001" of each other. :)

The MariTool master makes life easy and quick. No worries

Back