What's new
What's new

Haas TRT160 5axis

mogtract

Plastic
Hi

Some help required please.

I have the opportunity to purchase a TRT160 2-axis Rotary table.

Does anyone have experience of these ? Good ? Bad ?

Is it possible to use it as a 4th axis only as wells as a 5th.

I would like to be able to tilt the trt160 90deg and only use the rotation axis for longer jobs that only require 4th axis but require a tailstock.

Would this be a possibility

Thanks in advance

we have one and use it quite regularly. works really well for positional, simultaneous not so much. if you want to use it as 4th only, you'll need to disassemble it. i wouldnt recommend if you plan on going back and forth.

Thanks empwoer.

What was the problem with the simultaneous ?

I need to be able to blend radius edges from different sides. The parts i have been asked to quote have a high cosmetic finish requirement .

What software are you using ?

Thanks

Is this the previous two sided trunnion one or the new single sided unit? TRT160 | Tilting Rotary | 5-Axis Rotaries | Rotaries and Indexers – Haas CNC Machines
We've only had the new one up and running for a bit but so far it's awesome. The 160 has about a 1.6" bore and we have it set up along the Y-axis on a VM-3 on operator's right, so if we turn the B axis 90 degress we have a 4th axis with a respectable bore and about 36" of table across X where a tail stock could be mounted. And simultaneous 5 axis seems fine though we haven't done more than demo parts that way yet.

The older unit takes up a lot of real estate so unless you have a larger machine than the VF-3 I doubt you could turn it 90 so as to run in 4th axis mode across the table. I think you are right to think about this though as prior to getting this new machine we had a TM-2 with a 4th axis and it got used for many jobs in our R&D shop. We were going to get the TRT-100 but the larger bore on the 160 alone was a great selling points for certain recurring jobs we do making features on the ends of tubes.

You do not have to dissemble it to use it as a fourth. Just lay the tilt over to 90° and use the spin axis, I do this all the time on my TR-160Y. You do need the machine wired for five to get there though, if that's what you're talking about.

I just got the Haas 9" pneumatic tailstock for doing just this with longer parts, haven't set it up yet.

With regard to why they're good indexers but not good for live five, they will stutter and not keep the axes in synch for toleranced full five work.

Thanks for the feedback .

rcoope- yes it is the newer model trt160, it would be going on a vf2ss so not much room.
if i were to do a fixture plate i think it might just fit on the y like you have done.

mhajicek - glad it doesn't need dissembled.

From looking at the models i might get away with just indexing and blending rather than full 5 axis live.

Thanks again not sure what i am for doing yet. More thought required !

As an addendum to this for future general reference, I was watching an NYC CNC video where they have the VM-3 with the older double sided TRT160 (I think it's that size) and indeed they had it turned along the Y axis like we do, so it is possible. The VM-3 has a 26" wide table in the Y.

Curious how you do this since they can move slightly on power down.

You do not have to dissemble it to use it as a fourth. Just lay the tilt over to 90° and use the spin axis, I do this all the time on my TR-160Y. You do need the machine wired for five to get there though, if that's what you're talking about.

I just got the Haas 9" pneumatic tailstock for doing just this with longer parts, haven't set it up yet.

With regard to why they're good indexers but not good for live five, they will stutter and not keep the axes in synch for toleranced full five work.

Curious how you do this since they can move slightly on power down.

I would retract the tailstock for power up and power down. I'm thinking start program, position tilt, M00(ENGAGE TAILSTOCK), cut, M00(RETRACT TAILSTOCK) M30. Wouldn't be leaving a part in while shutting down anyway.

Back