What's new
What's new

Haas Umbrella Tool changer Problem

athack

Stainless
Hello

I have a 2011 Haas TM2P with an umbrella ATC, 20 tools. The tools are getting stuck in the spindle at random changes. Everything is clean and when they are stuck I just do a recovery and then push the manual release button and the tool comes right out like normal. It seems to me that a sensor of something is out of adjustment. Sometimes it appears the rotation of the tool is off.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I have been to DIYHAAS.com put I would like in-put as to what others have experienced so I don't have re-invent every process.

Thanks for the help.

Athack.

Check the spindle orient position first. I can loan you a quick reference tool if needed. Then check the z-axis height by e-stopping the umbrella just before it contacts the tool and visually check the groove location to the tool. You should be able to push the umbrella until it contacts the tool. Also check knockout, should be around .025" to .030". Where are you in Michigan?

Other Brother,

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping for a how to resource but your suggestions are most appreciated. Thank you for the offer to loan out your tool but I'll pass. I am in Northern Michigan.

Athack

Here is a "how to" to set the spindle orient position. I would think this is the problem or else it could be the z-axis position isn't right. T-1635 is the tool I was offering for your use and I have no problem sending it to you but I would like it back. Otherwise, you could probably orient the spindle and indicate the keys to x-axis travel.

Regards,

Daryl

Umbrella Tool Changer - Set Parameter 257

Daryl,

Thank you! I really appreciate your help. We are working Saturday so maybe Sunday when no one is here I may be able to give these a try. I am sending you a PM and hopefully I can attache a print and if it's not to much trouble could you please fill in the necessary dimensions so I can make my own T1635 Block.

Thank You Alan.

Hi Alan,

I sent the drawing back but I don't have auto cad or any other drawing programs, just a low-tech repair guy. Feel free to post the drawing here for others to reference.

Glad I could help, Daryl

Hello

I have a 2011 Haas TM2P with an umbrella ATC, 20 tools. The tools are getting stuck in the spindle at random changes. Everything is clean and when they are stuck I just do a recovery and then push the manual release button and the tool comes right out like normal. It seems to me that a sensor of something is out of adjustment. Sometimes it appears the rotation of the tool is off.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I have been to DIYHAAS.com put I would like in-put as to what others have experienced so I don't have re-invent every process.

Thanks for the help.

Athack.

Are you getting any alarms when this happens? If yes, what alarm(s)?
Where exactly in the t/c process does everything stop and what exactly is happening at that time?

Are you getting any alarms when this happens? If yes, what alarm(s)?
Where exactly in the t/c process does everything stop and what exactly is happening at that time?

Hello and thank you for replying.

Yes alarm 134. The tool is stuck in the spindle and everything stops. This has happened in the past after some very heavy cuts. I would have to do a recovery and then tap on the tool holder with a piece of brass, sometimes quit aggressively, then it would release the tool. Now when it happens I can remove to tools very easily from the spindle. Just push tool release and the tool comes out just like normal. It appears to me that the spindle is moving up before the draw bar lets go of the tool therefore jamming the tool in the spindle.

Thanks for any help or procedure documents.

Your Haas manual has what you need.

Seriously, not just busting your balls. Walk thru[figuratively]the tool release adjustment procedure and you will either identify the problem or mysteriously fix it when your done.

I was very much against cleaning the taper on tools and spindle with fine scotch-brite but it has proven to be effective. Clean well and believe it or not, rubbing on dab of vaseline and wiping off has eliminated this for me, I am in the habit of cleaning with WD-40 then wipe on/off vaseline.. cheap and effective.

Back