What's new
What's new

Haas umbrella toolchanger

tundra

Plastic
I want to pull the motor for the shuttle in/out on the umbrella. How do I get that rascal out of there? Vfe 1997

If I remember you need to grind off some allen wenchs. Turn the machine off, I beleive you need to move the carrosol near the spindle, losten the set screw on the arm/ motor shaft, slip the arm off and remove the cover where the motor cable goes and disconect it then remove motor. reverse process to re-assemble. Make sure you do not damage the sensors on both sides.
The moter is just forward and reverse so no big deal there.
You will need a tool for leverage to move the carosel It shuold take 1.5 hours.

Good luck!

I've had more problems with the relays that drive it than the motor itself.
I've also pulled the brushes blown out the motor and put in new brushes with the motor in place.
What is the root problem?

- Remove tool from spindle
- Run Z axis to upper limit
- E stop, Power off,switch off main
- Remove cover from carousel drive housing
- Look inside toward back for a vertical slot
Remove the bolt in the slot.

***Caution***
Shuttle will likely move to the right as you break the bolt loose.
Remove the bolt paying attention to the parts - bolt, lock washer, roller and spacer

- Once out if not already in position to the far right you can easily push it there
- You will have access to the arm, there is a set screw on the edge in line with the key
- Be sure the setscrew hex is clean, penetrating lube is a good idea, use a good condition
key [for gods sake NOT a ball driver]
- Once loose the arm should slide off. Two arm gear puller if not. A bit of heat from a heat gun
is not a bad thing if it has and evidence of loctite.
- Once off you can remove the cable and four bolts holding the motor

good luck

What issue are you having?

The motor seems kinda weak. I was hoping I could take it apart and clean it up a bit and put in new brushes. Does it come apart? Thanks for input

If it seems slow and weak, a good cleaning and new brushes will make a big improvement. They tend to get coolant mist in them and that prevents good contact on the commutator. If possible, I would turn the commutator on a lathe and refresh the surface, that will make it even better. If you don't, it takes a while for the new brushes to seat themselves on the commutator. Very light cut only. "Give Me a Ping, Vasily. One Ping Only.."

If it seems slow and weak, a good cleaning and new brushes will make a big improvement. They tend to get coolant mist in them and that prevents good contact on the commutator. If possible, I would turn the commutator on a lathe and refresh the surface, that will make it even better. If you don't, it takes a while for the new brushes to seat themselves on the commutator. Very light cut only. "Give Me a Ping, Vasily. One Ping Only.."

Ryan, some things in here don't react well to bullets...yeah like me!

I take it the motor comes apart easily then?

Once you disconnet the roller you may find the actual shuttle is the issue, it should move smooth and easy with one hand.

Sort of. Mind you this is all from memory a long while ago and many machines...

On a bench
- Mark the body to the gearcase so you reassemble correctly
- Remove brushes, caps on either side, careful of the wire
- Loosen two bolts on end of case
- Motor pulls right out of case
- remove the brush endcap
- Pulling the rotor out of the body is a bit of a trick
Very strong magnet, have someone hold it down to the bench and pull from the commutator end in one committed stroke
Be mindful of the wire and connections to the commutator

Clean everything with a strong water base detergent, rinse well. Place in warm 120F oven for an hour or more to dry thoroughly.

If you are not familiar with turning down a commutator I highly recommend you take it to someone who is or find a local motor repair shop.

Reassembling the motor is fun too, have help to control the housing as you install the rotor, it will want to pull right in with force as you enter.
I used a sheet of gasket paper wrapped around mine.

Good Luck

plastikdreams,
The reference was not to bullets...

"One Ping Only" - YouTube

Back