What's new
What's new

Haas VF-0E warm up procedures

Tryhard

Aluminum
Hello,

Recently got my old 98 Haas VF-0E up and going. It is a delta-wye, non-gearbox, 7500 RPM spindle.

Found a spindle warm up program somewhere within this forum that is to be run before machining anything on a classic Haas VF that has been sitting for 4 or more days. Used it a few times already. That program seems to run for a couple of hours. Even longer than my machine work in some cases.

Is there a shorter run in that I need to be doing every day? Different on cold days?

What do you guys recommend or do on your own VF machines? Any tips or tricks?
Post some code!

Hello,

Recently got my old 98 Haas VF-0E up and going. It is a delta-wye, non-gearbox, 7500 RPM spindle.

Found a spindle warm up program somewhere within this forum that is to be run before machining anything on a classic Haas VF that has been sitting for 4 or more days. Used it a few times already. That program seems to run for a couple of hours. Even longer than my machine work in some cases.

Is there a shorter run in that I need to be doing every day? Different on cold days?

What do you guys recommend or do on your own VF machines? Any tips or tricks?
Post some code!

Yes, you are using the spindle run-in program. That only needs to be ran when machine is first used (new / used purchase) and if it sits for say a week or more without being on. You should run something like a 10 minute program everyday that moves the axis a little and ramps the spindle up from say 1000rpm all the way to max rpm. Sorry no code to offer. You could copy the spindle run-in and alter that part to get your spindle running, but for shorter duration, then add in some G91 XYZ moves altering the feedrate or something between passes...

The regular spindle warm up is a 20 minute program. Looks something like this for a 10k machine:
M3 S500
G04 P200.
M3 S1000
G04 P200.
M3 S2500
G04 P200.
M3 S5000
G04 P200.
M3 S7500
G04 P200.
M3 S10000
G04 P200.
M30

For a 7500rpm machine, you may want to change the P value to 240, and stop at 7500. It should be run anytime the spindle is off for more than a day.
We run an abbreviated version with P set to 120 daily. It isn't only to warm everything, it is to purge excess oil that has settled in the bearings prior to commanding high speed.
If you run a probe or Haimer, you may want to add M3 S200 prior to the M30. All it takes is someone hitting the CW button, and your probe or Haimer will go to pieces.

As far as warming the axes up, we run a program that moves all axes at a feedrate of 150 while the spindle is ramping up. It is about the same length of time (20 minutes)as the spindle warm up, but puts the whole machine in motion over approximately 60 percent of the travel

Back