What's new
What's new

Haas vf-2

kushcausedcoma

Plastic
Hello, I Was handed a HAAS VF-2 NGC which Iv'e basically had to get from ground zero to making the shop money. I program purchase tools and so on. AS being the only Machinist and also a rookie. I have a cooling question for the more experienced guys.

Since we primarily do aluminum i don't want the to deal with the hassle of using the p cool feature it would not be taken care of by my operator and only damage the machine. I contacted the HFO and they said they have seen customers run air through those lines into the machine for chip clearing. But i'm leary of that in general.

I do like the MQL approach possibly with a fog buster or a koolmist system or something like that. But i cant seem to find a video on how to rig it into the machine. HAAS offers a 3k option that attaches to the cabinet which i'm trying to avoid. I also cant track down a good video on how to rig it myself i've looked for hours.

So if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to run it into the machine with the PLC or what ever that switch in the cabinet is, also where to hang the tank on the machine would be fantastic. I have shop air ran to it now so if it easiest to run it with external air im fine with that. I also have no idea how to harness the hoses so that they don't interfere with the spindle or get tangled.

Basically the easiest fastest and cheapest way is what i'm looking for. Anything will beat hosing pieces down with WD-40 Like we have been doing for a while now. The machine is not used all the time so keeping coolant in it is an absolute last option. The Owner loves cheap that's how i get my bonuses.

Cheap owner screams the song of a shitty shop to work for.

Haas is already cheap, might as well have the hfo tell you what options are available or just work with what you have.

Btw how on Earth can you not take care of pcool? It sits there and does what it does.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The coolant levels would never get checked to be honest by the operator so it would just get moldy. Or better yet just be straight water rusting the machine out Its also un-climate controlled shop so ide be worried about lines busting when it freezes over night. mainly freezing evaporation and bad operators. less room to destroy the machine.

If you're cutting aluminum you need to be running coolant. MQL works for hobby stuff, but it's going to severely limit your feeds and speeds. If your operator can't maintain coolant he needs to find another line of work. These machines require regular maintenance, and he's going to trash it.

I agree there is no real HSM that can be done at this point because its limited by gumming. I just dont want to regret putting coolant in the machine. and having to undo all the damage. I think ill just have to force the coolant idea.

You don't want to mess with coolant but you want to mess with some jerry-rigged mql + mist collector setup?

My strong recommendation is put coolant in the machine and start making parts before you get fired.

id much rather put coolant in the machine i have the bucket of lube right next to me. the owner saw some other company using MQL at another shop in Ohio. This idea was handed to me.

Can your operators drive a car without running out of gas? If not, then fire them. If they can't keep coolant in the machine and keep the concentration correct, you don't want them loading parts for you. Plain and simple. Put a check sheet on the machine at the start of every month and make it mandatory to initial it and write the concentration down every day/shift. If little Billy can't do it, write him up. The third time, toss him.

Once we had an open house here and I set up one of the Haas Vmc's to draw pictures of western art ( plasma cutter art ) with a spring loaded sharpie on butcher paper, we had about 20 selections they could draw and I taught a 12 yr old girl to change programs so she could help kids and adults alike switch and draw a picture. Everyone had a lot of fun, we didn't make any coolant mess, the chips didn't damage the paint on the inside of the machine and we saved a lot of money on aluminum and cutters. I am thinking this may be the best use for your machine so it will be in pristeen condition when you sell it.

I will tell you how to connect and control air thru the the coolant line simply and for about $75 in parts. I will also try to convince you why you should not because
you already have the best system, you just don't have people trained in good housekeeping.

I beg you to print this out and show your boss. I am morbidly curious of his response.

I fitted a Haas 510 gantry mill with a Unist system. Done only because it is an open frame machine for less mess. We had to make large complex parts, time was secondary. It was used by attentive and competent operators. I simply put a solenoid in place of the coolant pump and air supply regulated to 70 psi. The standard reinforced pvc coolant hoses are rated for 150 psi @ 72F. I attached the Unist on top near the spindle and routed the nozzle to near the spindle - done.

If you absolutely need to waste time and money that is the simplest excellent execution of [for you] a bad idea. Bear in mind there is additional cost for the MOL or god forbid, mist coolant.

Here is why for you its a bad idea;

Your operator will have to ALWAYS pay close attention to the nozzle position and it WILL get damaged so you will need spares. It will be knocked away by long chips when drilling and is less than ideal for many operations if not paid close attention to its position. You will damage tools and work until the operator gets the idea, some never do.

We edited the post for this machine because of these issues. The sequence; Tool change; M01 (CHECK NOZZLE) Cycle start, operation commences. Tool change; M01 (Check Nozzle) because it can get hung up and smashed in the umbrella or fork - Repeat for each tool change and stand watch for any issues because there WILL be issues.

To even the best operators this is tedium, cycle start, adjust, cycle start, adjust... add for you opening and closing the doors.

Remember this algebraic expression: TIME = MONEY

..open door, adjust, close door, cycle start, open door adjust... tick tock tick tock goes the clock and out the window goes money because your operator is not doing secondary operations or running a second machine while the part is running unattended in a flood coolant system!

An MOL unit is not cheap, the water based mist units are more maintenance than flood coolant and do not do the job as well as flood and need the same attention to nozzle position as MOL. The fog is nasty to breath and residue hard to clean. The Unist system is a small nuisance when adjusted correctly and the residue cleans up easily with mild cleanser. BUT THE NOZZLE POSITION IS CRITICAL. Tool demo guys love it because it allows full view of the tool in operation but for production it is not pratical.

So no, if you have incompetent operators and want to make money it's no better an idea, if fact it will be much worse economically.

You have an enclosure, coolant tank and P Cool nozzle. You have the capacity for more nozzles. If you don't already have additional nozzles adding more is cheap and easy.

Setting the P Cool position is done when setting the tool offset - this is elemently machine operation.

Set up with multiple nozzles that simply fire hose the part and tool and train your operators in coolant maintenance, provide them with the tools and quality coolant and you will be ahead in the game.

Coolant freezing... well you could add an outlet just after the check valve that would allow the coolant to be drained from the line.The pump is of a design that freezing should not affect it, valves and rigid lines are an issue. Steel tank should be able to handle it.

The idea that a shop so poorly climate controlled you have to plan for frozen coolant.. inconceivable but that is another dissertation.

EDIT: My personal VF 0 often sits for weeks. I drain the coolant into a closed plastic drum using a small submersible pump. I also use synthetic coolant and it has never gone rancid in over two years of only adding makeup solution and skimming oil off.

I have a machine in northern Idaho, I call it a Haas In a box @ -10 degrees outside the coolant is liquid, I have not seen it under 50 degrees in the box even though I am only there a week a month at this point. How cold is it in Texas?
IMG_5518.jpg
IMG_5519.jpg

Hello, I Was handed a HAAS VF-2 NGC which Iv'e basically had to get from ground zero to making the shop money. I program purchase tools and so on. AS being the only Machinist and also a rookie. I have a cooling question for the more experienced guys.

Since we primarily do aluminum i don't want the to deal with the hassle of using the p cool feature it would not be taken care of by my operator and only damage the machine. I contacted the HFO and they said they have seen customers run air through those lines into the machine for chip clearing. But i'm leary of that in general.

I do like the MQL approach possibly with a fog buster or a koolmist system or something like that. But i cant seem to find a video on how to rig it into the machine. HAAS offers a 3k option that attaches to the cabinet which i'm trying to avoid. I also cant track down a good video on how to rig it myself i've looked for hours.

So if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to run it into the machine with the PLC or what ever that switch in the cabinet is, also where to hang the tank on the machine would be fantastic. I have shop air ran to it now so if it easiest to run it with external air im fine with that. I also have no idea how to harness the hoses so that they don't interfere with the spindle or get tangled.

Basically the easiest fastest and cheapest way is what i'm looking for. Anything will beat hosing pieces down with WD-40 Like we have been doing for a while now. The machine is not used all the time so keeping coolant in it is an absolute last option. The Owner loves cheap that's how i get my bonuses.

so they hand this to you , who just 1.5 years ago couldnt read a blueprint? Your kidding right?

Now this is exactly what I needed to hear. The idea of having a coolant system ran and not being able to use it sounded nuts to me to.

I was just in search of options that others have used with success. I also agree that are operator needs to be more competent and do his job right.

I do appreciate the knowledge man.

Anyone who would have to do this themselves I found this preety comprehensive manual.

Minimum-Quantity Lubrication - Installation | Customer Resource Center

For everyone else what am I supposed to do tell the owner that were not doing what he wants with the machine he bought?

Haha thanks for the good trolling fellas. I get it no one likes the new guy. really motivated me But im clearly not stupid and just as driven as you older machinist to do the best possible job given the circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back