What's new
What's new

Haas VF-2 Shuttle Problems

DarkEdge

Plastic
I've seen a few issues on here already, but I can't seem to find a solution to the exact issue I'm having.

The machine is a 2000 Haas VF-2 with an umbrella tool changer. It moved to the "in" position, bu faulted. We've switched the relays, and the alarm remains a "Shuttle Out Fault". Ideas guys?

That problem is usually the switches that detect the arm that moves the shuttle back and forth. I have that problem now with my '91 VF-1. The fault is not the switches but the arm on the motor is slightly loose so it does not move all the way. You can see the problem is the switch or arm by looking at the diagnostics output and commanding a tool change. If the switches do not respond, push the umbrella by hand to the final position. You should see the switch output change. That means the arm is loose. If not, then the switch is bad or not positioned correctly.

Is there a way to move the shuttle by hand? I've tried pushing it fully in, and back out, but it won't budge. And with it stuck where it is, I can't zero anything or do a tool changer recovery. Recovery either gives me the fault again, or says it's complete without doing anything.

If you are at the end of each way of travel, you generally will not be able to move it by hand as it will be locked in that position. Also you need to have it powered down and no servos on. Otherwise you can get seriously hurt.

This alarm is generally caused by one of the switches sticking. Sounds like your out switch is stuck and then when the shuttle goes in it will not recognize the the shuttle is in because it still shows out.

Power off and spray WD-40 of something on each switch and work them by hand until they unfreeze. Worst case, you will have to buy a new out side switch. If you get it working, clean off the WD-40 and put a good light oil on it. WD-40 is sticky when dry.

Mike

I appreciate the help. I didn't catch it being stuck, but I think the out switch hung up just long enough to confuse the daylights out of the control. I ended up manually pushing the shuttle back home, making sure both switches were good and clean (thankfully, we keep electronics cleaner on hand), and everything seems to be working as well as I can hope for. Thanks for the advice.

Its happened enough to me I contemplated modifying the outboard end of the motor so I can drive it by hand.. fortunately a new switch seems to have "permanently" fixed the problem.

I had similar issues with my '93 VF2. The problem was the rollers were loose, which allowed the shuttle to rock and bind.

You should not have any wiggle on the carousel when you push on it. If it's loose, tighten up the rollers. They are on cams.

You can remove the arm and push the carousel in and out by hand, it should move freely both directions.

The arm has a slip bushing, the motor will turn until the limit switch is activated. If the shuttle doesn't make it to the switch, the motor will run until it times out. Doesn't hurt anything, it's designed to slip.

Not necessary to disconnect the arm to push the shuttle back- in zero return mode, ZZ "zero single axis" will home the shuttle.

Back