Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like Milland said, 2" max unless you're finishing.

To be honest, I use Iscar and Ingersoll for 90% of my indexable stuff.
    Sandvik is good buuuut $$$$$$.
    An ex-Sandvik rep told me that he could never beat Iscar at drilling.
    With Iscar's IC808 grade I can get about 2 hours of hogging in scaly A-36 at 1000 SFM.
    Also their website is much easier to use than Sandvik's.
    Just my $0.02

PS, for indexables, I like several bigger inserts rather than more small ones for roughing.
    You can push them harder and go longer without risking an explosion.

2. Likes Xander309 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find heat shrinks work great for 1/4" and up, ok of 3/16", and kinda sorta for 1/8". That tiny 1/8" bore has to heat up a lot to expand enough to get the tool in and out. So I have two long skinny 1/8" shrinks for where I need them, and use a lot of ER-16 and ER-11 for my smaller tools. 3/8" and up for heavy dynamic milling are where shrink fit really shines, at least for what I'm doing.

When I was first trying it out I used a MAPP gas torch and would rotate the holder in my hand while counting to 30 or so. Once I'd proven to myself that they cut better I went for the induction machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    I tried the 1/2" but the MMR was the same and so was the tool life ,,, I just buy a lot of 3/8 double ended stubs AiTin , I like the YG1 endmills best but there kinda hard to get so I have been getting 20 at a time from Maritool and there holding up good. I get about a hour in the cut time with a ER32 holder and about 30% longer life if I grind a flat and run a short side lock holder...

I found if I keep the air about 20 PSI and watch how I program the inside corners so I don`t recut chips I can get a LOT better life out of the cutters ... stock Cam program out of onecnc was only getting me like 15 min tool life ,, 4140 and 4340 seem to be mill killers if you get ANY recutting. I watch it kill a couple end mills then hand code that part of the program ,,, but I am old school and hand code all of my production programs ,, I cant stand seeing a machine cut air ,,,

If its making chips its making money , If its cutting air its costing me money

Simply because I don't know, going to as a dump question. Why are you getting better tool life out of set screw holder vs ER32 collet?

I'm possibly running my first SS 316 SS job. Never cut SS, have 200 pieces to do putting a 3" hole in 1" thick material.

Part of me wants to drill a hole, sink the endmill in to the hole and start going around and around.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Endmills deflect more in collet holders...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Simply because I don't know, going to as a dump question. Why are you getting better tool life out of set screw holder vs ER32 collet?

I'm possibly running my first SS 316 SS job. Never cut SS, have 200 pieces to do putting a 3" hole in 1" thick material.

Part of me wants to drill a hole, sink the endmill in to the hole and start going around and around.
    In an end mill holder you are mating two surfaces, in a collet system you are mating three surfaces, one of which cam be moved.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Makes sense.

Would you guys interpolate the hole or drill a hole first and sink the endmill in to the hole

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Makes sense.

Would you guys interpolate the hole or drill a hole first and sink the endmill in to the hole
    Depends on a ton of factors. Material and heat treat, diameter, depth, lot size, am I out of tool slots, is cycle time or process reliability more important?

Edit: went back and read your description. In that case I think drill and mill is a good choice.

9. Likes Djstorm100 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Depends on a ton of factors. Material and heat treat, diameter, depth, lot size, am I out of tool slots, is cycle time or process reliability more important?

Edit: went back and read your description. In that case I think drill and mill is a good choice.
    I mention that about 3 post up

"I'm possibly running my first SS 316 SS job. Never cut SS, have 200 pieces to do putting a 3" hole in 1" thick material.

Part of me wants to drill a hole, sink the endmill in to the hole and start going around and around."

Reliability is important followed by time cycle since I have 200 to do.