What's new
What's new

Haas VF-6 CT40 15hp and 5 axis Trunnion

Joemomymom

Plastic
Ladies,
Change my mind.. Buying a 1996 VF-6 with a 5 axis trunnion not sure what model the 5th is but it takes up at least a 3/4 of the table so its a decent size. I've heard a lot of people say stay away from anything past 98 because of the vector drive upgrade that came in 98. But I've also heard people saying don't buy past an 08 so you know.

I originally set out to buy same size machine with a Cat50 taper but after seeing this, I can't unsee it. Which would you choose?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Not enough information to know if that's a good choice for you or not. "People" are right, any Haas before '08 and the control is no longer supported. If a board goes out you pay $12k to $15k for an upgrade replacement, or find a third party to try to fix it. A machine that old may have trouble holding tolerances; it may have excessive backlash and slop. You can probably fix that if you're willing to replace the thrust bearings and maybe the lead screws. Hope the rails are still in good shape, those might need replacing too. Best to budget a full rebuild if your parts are tight. If they're not, meh.

I should add that Haas build quality has improved dramatically over the last decade or so. 90's era machines were pretty much garage shop quality. The 2015 I have here reliably makes titanium bone plates and other surgical devices.

Good points, thanks.

Obviously these old haas mills are still around, there is something to be said about that. But will they be around in another 10 or 20 years? Maybe not.

Back