What's new
What's new

Haas VF Toolchanger noise help

Wondering if anyone has any insight on what this might be. Every 4-6 toolchanges, it makes this weird grinding noise. It's very strange that it does it intermittently like that. Here is the video. The first couple tool-changes are normal, then the 3rd tool change you'll hear the noise. I was told it might possibly be a bad pneumatic check valve. Any help is greatly appreciated.

That doesn't sound like a vibrating check valve to me, but I dunno. Could it be the motor that drives the indexing cam for the carousel going into resonance for some reason? If you can safely put a stethoscope or similar on the carousel in the area of the cam and then generate that noise it should be clear (or not).

can't tell for sure, but here's something to check. The tool pocket has a groove in it that rides down a bearing as it goes from horizontal to vertical. The bearing is held in place with a shoulder bolt and a nut. I had the nut vibrate loose and jam up the pocket. Sounded like a big impact wrench.

Behind the panel with the pocket numbers on it, there is a sight glass. Is there enough oil in there?
Mine does some weird stuff when it gets low. It never made a noise like that though.

We have a Haas tech here now to work on our Haas VF3 to fix tool changer noise. He took tool changer apart and couldn't find problem. His last thought was to do a software update seeing it was a 2018 model. That was it fixed the noise we were having. Hope this can fix your problem

Back