What's new
What's new

Haas VF1 20 tool changer problem

APMJames

Plastic
As I seen in the forum this might be an easy fix somewhere but this is frustrating.

This is a 2014 Vf1 8100 rpm 20 umbrella tool changer. Until recently changes tools fine. History of the machine is new spindle due to rapid into a vise over a year ago. Otherwise new z axis cover last week due to parts wore out in cover. which no reason tool change issues.

about 2 weeks ago on startup tool changer would not home out due to it would go into tool change pos and alarm 134. It would pause then the std recovery would work. once recovered would work fine rest of the day. Last week due to holidays as well. finding recovery would not work out the problem. Only a spindle warm up and after trying the recovery about 4 to 5 times.

Recover, press F1
Reset press "y" attempts to bring up spindle fail.
Have to press cycle start to bring up spindle, no tools in locations or in spindle
then press "n" no tool in line with spindle or in spindle
Press "y" then recovery is done.

Today went and did this 19 times. Yes 19. After a spindle warm up had to walk away from it. Seems to change tools now just fine, there is a hint of a pause with tool release when Z comes up. I turn it off in an empty location but kind of running out of ideas as to why this occurs.

Low air pressure? Bad limit switch? I'm not sure I fully understand the issue, but there's not a whole lot that can go wrong so I bet we can figure it out. Can you post a video of the problem?

Tool changer hangs up on startup is the error. I've looked at the limit switches on the tool changer. They are clear, seems to be stuck on tool release once it slides into place.

http://www.archetypeparagon.com/Vf1/toolchange.mp4

Keep in mind this has started about Dec 20th. Now it seems to happen everyday on startup. After the warm up cycle in the spindle seems to correct the issue. Like you mentioned there is not a lot of things there to look at for problem. Once it gets working this morning I'll post a tool change video so that the delay can be noticed.

Looks like an issue with tool unclamp. Either mechanically it is not unclamping fully, or electrically the limit switch is not being made correctly.

Could be a lot of causes. Sticky knockout cylinder, broken springs in the drawbar, worn switch ramp or roller, stick switch, poor connection in the switch, low air pressure, etc.

Valve on the side is working fine, no vaper lock,visual tool changer switches are clear (in/out), air pressure is ok too as well.

Cover will come off in the next few days when it irritates me enough to look as the draw bar, maybe later today. Suspect dirty, these machines are clean but do get sticky in the wrong places. Oddly when warmed up works fine.

Other then general google searches anyone have 2015 VF1 schematics of the spindle components? I know Haas changes things a lot even during the year.

With a little more reading on the diy haas site seems a call from the local productivity will have to do.

Yes been using air dyer and climate controlled shop. Air lines are checked weekly. Suspect little grim on the sensor on the drawbar but not able to get into it yet. Hope that it does not need adjusting. That might need a professional.

Update, sorry for the delay. In mid March service called.

After about 3 hours of service. The tech went and combed the tool changer. Went into the settings, spindle and valves. With that being said.

There is a sensor on the side of the spindle drawbar spring that tells the machine the clamp is un clamped. Looks like about a 3/8 cylinder reads the lip of the drawbar system when it releases. This was out of alignment. Only slightly however. That and a combo of timing was set to low, this part was in the control settings. Once the alignment was set and timing was changed ever so slightly everything works fine now.

The tech was kind of amazed that timing was off and the sensor was not lined up that well. Unknown how this happened but either way all fixed.

Back