Haas vf2-ss on 60 amp breaker?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL usa
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Haas vf2-ss on 60 amp breaker?

    Is anyone running a haas vf2 ss on a 60 amp breaker? The machine calls for 100amp but I know that's a overkill rating. I want to put one in my garage shop and run it off a phase perfect 355 with 100amp single phase input and run a 60amp 3-phase out to the machine. I believe the phase converter is rated for 64 amp output. Anyone running a similar setup? Or know if I can get away with this? I'm even up for limiting the rapids to 50% and spindle to 8k if it will make it work for a year or 2 till I can get a place with 3-phase.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FL,USA
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentry128 View Post
    Is anyone running a haas vf2 ss on a 60 amp breaker? The machine calls for 100amp but I know that's a overkill rating. I want to put one in my garage shop and run it off a phase perfect 355 with 100amp single phase input and run a 60amp 3-phase out to the machine. I believe the phase converter is rated for 64 amp output. Anyone running a similar setup? Or know if I can get away with this? I'm even up for limiting the rapids to 50% and spindle to 8k if it will make it work for a year or 2 till I can get a place with 3-phase.

    Thanks in advance for any help!
    I don't know about the SS ratings but just a normal vf-2 should be fine on 60 amps single phase. Just watch your load meter. Remember amps is related to torque so the larger the cutter and larger the load the more amps it will draw. Idle it might drive 5-10 amps and go up as you put a load on it.

    By the way where are you located in tampa? I am in tampa also.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL usa
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Yeah I have used a vf2 on the same converter but was interested if anyone is using this setup successfully on a ss.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    11,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    8981

    Default

    If you are willing to run the rapids at 50% and spindle at 8K, why get an SS model

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL usa
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    So when I develop my side business and move to a shop with full 3-phase power I will have a machine that is capable of running faster cycle times. No sense investing in something I will want to upgrade a year from now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    120

    Default

    Remember that the amperage rating is all motors and such maxed out. I ran my VF-2 off of a 20 amp breaker once, as it was at a friend shop and that was all that was available. Ran it for 6 months like that until I moved into my shop.

    Mike

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FL,USA
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by machineit2 View Post
    Remember that the amperage rating is all motors and such maxed out. I ran my VF-2 off of a 20 amp breaker once, as it was at a friend shop and that was all that was available. Ran it for 6 months like that until I moved into my shop.

    Mike
    I agree, I wouldn't worry.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL usa
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Well that gives me some hope. Probably gonna take a chance on it.

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5409
    Likes (Received)
    3405

    Default

    20hp PP with 100amp input will run it no problem. Gotta remember the PP are meant to start a 20hp motor, that's a lot more load/peak than a VF-2ss is gonna have.
    50% vs 100% rapid, you'll be lucky to see 1-2 second cycle time different, I run at 50% on my little 2412 all the time, bangs less when peak drilling.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    I'm running a VM-2 on a 60 amp breaker with no issues. The spindle drive is the main amperage draw on these machines. Slowing the rapids won't make much difference.

  11. Likes bjf5051 liked this post
  12. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Granville,NY,USA
    Posts
    3,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    333
    Likes (Received)
    427

    Default

    You won't have any problems. It will be surprising if you ever pull more than 25 amps in the real world. My VF3 runs on a 30 amp breaker with no issues at all. Been this way for years.

  13. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
  14. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FL,USA
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARB View Post
    You won't have any problems. It will be surprising if you ever pull more than 25 amps in the real world. My VF3 runs on a 30 amp breaker with no issues at all. Been this way for years.
    30 amp single phase?

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Granville,NY,USA
    Posts
    3,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    333
    Likes (Received)
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MBG View Post
    30 amp single phase?
    Three phase.

    I feed the shop with at PP DPC20 distributed through a 3 phase panel. Each machine runs on it's own breaker.

    The PP unit is fed with a 100 amp single phase breaker. It should be a 125 but we have never tripped it.


    Likely the biggest amp draw in a small shop is the air compressor.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default 60amp vs. 100amp

    I bought a ($1000) 100amp breaker when I bought the new Haas VF-2 SS for our school shop. I think we would have been fine with the original 60amp. Not sure if it is required to maintain the warranty, you may want to check if it is under warranty. Just be careful how much load you are drawing if you are on a bus bar with other machines. Good luck!

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARB View Post
    Three phase.

    I feed the shop with at PP DPC20 distributed through a 3 phase panel. Each machine runs on it's own breaker.

    The PP unit is fed with a 100 amp single phase breaker. It should be a 125 but we have never tripped it.


    Likely the biggest amp draw in a small shop is the air compressor.
    This is interesting - your PP unit doesn't have any issues with its output power being switched? My VFD manual forbids that, but I doubt it's as capable as your unit.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,108
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4385
    Likes (Received)
    1852

    Default

    PhasePerfect units are perfectly happy with being switched, running multiple loads with wildly different characteristics, etc. In that regard, they are more like a rotary phase convertor and utterly unlike a VFD.

    Like ARB, I run the output of my (smaller) PP unit into a three-phase breaker panel, and from there branch circuits out to various machines and outlets.

  19. Likes bjf5051 liked this post
  20. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Starting 1-18-12 all full size machines come with a 30 hp spindle.

  21. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5409
    Likes (Received)
    3405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSBob View Post
    Starting 1-18-12 all full size machines come with a 30 hp spindle.
    Which is what, 10hp/cont like just about all the other common size mills have? well except for those with 15hp/cont.

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Does running the VF2 on single-phase power have an effect on a non SS units? I am looking at a 10k VF2 but need to run it off a 100 amp load, struggling to find a phase converter that outputs the 50 Amp needed for the CNC and 6.4 Amp for a future vibratory bowl. I just assumed that the VF2 needed to be run off a phase converter, did not know that running it on single phase was even an option :/

  23. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Are you running this on single-phase 60amp? What is the downside to doing this? Just curious because I always assumed that you needed a phase converter. I am looking to run a VF2 on a 100amp box and am looking at phase converters right now for it. Cheers!


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •