Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a vf2SS running off of a phase converter. I'm using a 100 amp breaker for both the converter and machine. also running 2/0 wire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

VF-2
    Odd that it calls for a 60 amp breaker and the SS a 100amp. Pretty sure same spindle motor and drive, anyway my electrician checked the amperage when running a few jobs...not even close to 60.

As to running on single phase...I do not believe there is any VF capable of doing that without a phase converter

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the SS uses a 30 hp motor ( unless you ordered it with a option 40) the standard vf2 is only a 20 hp spindle motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haas rates there spindle motors like a shop vac
    I have been running a VF4SS for years off a RPC that is feed with a 60 amp 240 V single phase breaker .... Had "ZERO' problems and it runs all day at 12k and the load meter is 80% to 120% for hours at a time ...

just run "BIG" wire to keep the voltage as hi as you can ,, I think I have #6

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    20hp PP with 100amp input will run it no problem. Gotta remember the PP are meant to start a 20hp motor, that's a lot more load/peak than a VF-2ss is gonna have.
    50% vs 100% rapid, you'll be lucky to see 1-2 second cycle time different, I run at 50% on my little 2412 all the time, bangs less when peak drilling.
    My understanding is that the phase perfect units can handle a certain overload for a short period of time.

2 additional pieces of additional data:

I put a clamp on meter on my VF4SS input leg, from spindle off to 12,000rpm it pulls 96 amps the whole time it accelerates, that's the only time it needs a 100A breaker.

When I first got it, I had it on a 40a breaker because I wanted to power it up while I waited for the 100a breaker to show up, I did start the spindle and it did work.

6. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss710 View Post
    the SS uses a 30 hp motor ( unless you ordered it with a option 40) the standard vf2 is only a 20 hp spindle motor.
    Bull-crap. I pulled an old Baldor spindle motor out of a 2005 VF2ss. It said 10hp right on the motor-plate.
    The Yaskawa motor that replaced it is a much better unit. But, still not 30hp.

8. Likes Tryhard liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Haas Rep told me the 2017 SS machines were running 15 hp motors. I run a 20hp Perfect phase no problem, but my house lights flicker every time the spindle ramps. Then again my house also flickers when my window AC kicks in...Looking at the ratings of other heavier Japanese or German machines, with lower HP ratings, its hard to believe the Haas has more power.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Bull-crap. I pulled an old Baldor spindle motor out of a 2005 VF2ss. It said 10hp right on the motor-plate.
    The Yaskawa motor that replaced it is a much better unit. But, still not 30hp.
    Haas has a torque chart to prove it. with pulsed DC a 10 hp can produce 2 to 3 times the HP. verses straight AC . it works the same way with the pulse tig welders of today. I have a Miller dynasty 300 DC that can out weld my fixed transformer 400 amp welder. they can run the square wave on the spindle motors more than 400 times a second. verses a 60 cycle sine wave.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss710 View Post
    Haas has a torque chart to prove it. with pulsed DC a 10 hp can produce 2 to 3 times the HP. verses straight AC . it works the same way with the pulse tig welders of today. I have a Miller dynasty 300 DC that can out weld my fixed transformer 400 amp welder. they can run the square wave on the spindle motors more than 400 times a second. verses a 60 cycle sine wave.
    Makes sense. So a Haas 'vector drive' is simply just a VFD? (variable frequency drive)

If that is the case, then are there any off the shelf VFDs that you are aware of that are cost effective and could act as a replacement for the 20/15 in an Haas classic VF series?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes they are not your over the shell vdf. but a custom unit haas developed that they make in house. it's a much higher in both torque and frequency than what is a standard spindle driver. at 1 point haas had used Mitsubishi , and then frenic drives to increase both hp and torque. but even though they were a improvement over the baldor drive. they still weren't happy with the results. so they made their own. the first few year models were a beast. but it seemed that somewhere along the line they started toasting motors ( the early units could run a constant 180% spindle load for over 30 minutes before alarming) so they detuned the driver some . it's by no means a matsuura spindle motor and drive combo. but it was leaps and bounds better than what they had offered in the past. and shops who had both the older machines, and the new 1s could definitely see the difference. as a service tech for haas at the time we saw it as a huge improvement! the only driver fault ms we saw on the early drivers were due to the fans failing and causing the driver to over heat. if you caught the problem early enough than no harm no foul. they were a stout driver!