What's new
What's new

Haas VF2 tool release piston noise?

AUMachinist

Plastic
Recently I noticed the VF2 at our shop was making a weird noise while changing tools. It almost sounds like there is water in the tool release solenoid or perhaps the air muffler is submerged in water. Spindle is clamping tools fine. The mill is a 2018 8.1k rpm 30hp inline spindle VF2.
Can’t quite trace down the noise yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

You haven't replaced your Sheep Valve in a while, have you? That sounds is a tell-tail [sic] that it's grown too big...

Sounds like a failed seal that's allowing a fluttering air bleed. But if the system is still working correctly you might just live with it for the time being.

You haven't replaced your Sheep Valve in a while, have you? That sounds is a tell-tail [sic] that it's grown too big...

Sounds like a failed seal that's allowing a fluttering air bleed. But if the system is still working correctly you might just live with it for the time being.

Never heard of a sheep valve I guess. No major maintenance has been done to the spindle that I’m aware of since purchased. Seems to be working correctly however the noise is very annoying and makes me worry that something else will fail because of this.
What exactly would need to be replaced to fix this? Can the seals be replaced or will it require an entire assembly replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, "Sheep valve" was a poor attempt at a joke, based on the sound it was making (baahhh).

You should send a link for that video to your HFO, their techs should be able to give you better feedback over the phone at no charge.

FWIW, it didn't really sounds like a "water immersion" issue, more like a thin gasket or hose "fluttering" when air leaks past it. But certainly it shouldn't be making the sound, even if it works acceptably.

Haha figured that was sarcasm. I’ll contact our hfo and see what they think.
Thanks for the input!

Sorry, "Sheep valve" was a poor attempt at a joke, based on the sound it was making (baahhh).

You should send a link for that video to your HFO, their techs should be able to give you better feedback over the phone at no charge.

FWIW, it didn't really sounds like a "water immersion" issue, more like a thin gasket or hose "fluttering" when air leaks past it. But certainly it shouldn't be making the sound, even if it works acceptably.

LMAO it does sound like a sick sheep!

My 2018 VF4SS sounds like a sheep also, exact sound as this one in video above since instalation in May 2018, couple of months later I reported it, HFO tech came in and said that its normal...

Machine still makes that sound to this day, and works fine, its just annoying, I would also like to know how to get rid of that sound...

We also have a 1998 VF3 that sounds just as crisp as the VF2 did the day it arrived. Pretty sure that sound isn't "normal". Still haven't been able to get a HFO tech out yet, are you still having this problem or have you figured out how to fix it?

If you can't find the dying sheep...then check your Humpfrey Valve.

Its right in front, on top of the Tool Release Piston. Front and center of the limit switches. It has 1/4" air lines going to and from the alum body. I believe it has to do with the pistons Pre-Charge.
Rubber flapper valve sound like its flapping.

Back