Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While running my Haas lately, I believe I've noticed less of a resonance issue that I used to experience when interpolating circles. It seemed like there was a particular clock position (actually two positions on the opposite ends of the same diameter) on any hole that would exhibit slight chatter during the cut. I couldn't really determine what the issue was. I thought maybe it was due to a warped vise, but that didn't seem consistent as not all jobs are held in a vise.

Anyways, touch wood here, as it may start up again next day, but I guess it is reasonable to think that the main column was slightly less rigid than it should have been with 2 failing bolts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    While running my Haas lately, I believe I've noticed less of a resonance issue that I used to experience when interpolating circles. It seemed like there was a particular clock position (actually two positions on the opposite ends of the same diameter) on any hole that would exhibit slight chatter during the cut. I couldn't really determine what the issue was. I thought maybe it was due to a warped vise, but that didn't seem consistent as not all jobs are held in a vise.

Anyways, touch wood here, as it may start up again next day, but I guess it is reasonable to think that the main column was slightly less rigid than it should have been with 2 failing bolts.
    Interesting. My two machines still have all their bolts in place, and one machine has the same "chatter" issue that's dependent on circular location. I think it's servo tuning or some interaction with backlash comp, but I'm not certain of that.

How'd your bolts get rusty? Mine show no signs of rust, even at over 21 and 17yo.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Interesting. My two machines still have all their bolts in place, and one machine has the same "chatter" issue that's dependent on circular location. I think it's servo tuning or some interaction with backlash comp, but I'm not certain of that.

How'd your bolts get rusty? Mine show no signs of rust, even at over 21 and 17yo.
    Did you actually remove any bolts to look at the threads? The old bolt heads looked fine, I never suspected any rust had occurred.

The history of the machine before I got it is unknown to me. I suppose it could have gotten wet back there with a wash down with plain water. If water seeped in around the bolts (lock washers on those bolts have a split), it would take a long time to dry out. There is no evidence of capillary action from machine coolant having taken place, externally, the paint is still good back there, too. The 6 bolts that were still ok were also rusted, but the threads were dry. I couldn't tell on the broken ones because I had sprayed penetrating oil down the holes for stud removal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't think I want to disrupt the column fasteners unless I have too, so rusty/not rusty will have to wait for some breakage or ?? But appreciate your bringing this issue to our attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow man..

I'll take a gander at mine