What's new
What's new

Haas VF5 intermittent electrical/control issues.

D Dubeau

Hot Rolled
We have a VF5 here that's starting to become a bit problematic to use, and was wondering if anybody else has had, or heard about these issues before to point us in the right direction to fix them. We had a Haas tech out a couple months ago, but were unable to replicate the problem when he was here, so it was fruitless. It started acting up again today, and I managed to get some video of it and sent to the HFO, but it's not enough to figure out the issue they say. Randomly throwing parts at it is not a direction we'd like to take...

The cycle start button becomes unresponsive, but the control "beeps" as if it was pressed. It will do that with other buttons as well, but the cycle start seems to be the most problematic and what I captured today. Sometimes while setting up jobs, it will beep when you press buttons such as tool offset measure, part zero set, or keying in numbers to shift an offset, but won't register what you pressed. For example picking up the edge of a block and pressing part zero set won't do anything, but the control will make the "beep" when you press the button. Obviously this can become a problem if you're not paying attention.

The other issues are
-The remote jog handle no longer works. It started becoming problematic last year, and was shutting off the spindle during jog moves, and now is just completely unresponsive. Being a VF5 this really sucks for setting up jobs.
-Sometimes while manually jogging with the MPG it is intermittent and notchy. It will jog a bit, stop, then continue etc. Very annoying, and when it starts doing that almost unusable.
-The last and most troublesome is that while toggling between x,y,z jog directions in hand jog mode on the control it will suddenly start moving in the direction you pressed as if its on jog lock or the button is stuck down but it's not. If you switch to a different direction it will start moving in that direction too. Jog lock is NOT toggled on the control, nor was the button pressed. The speed it takes off is slow and not related to which resolution of jog distance you've set, thankfully... Obviously this presents a dangerous situation while setting up jobs, and thus far has cost me an edge finder, another tool, and a vise jaw.

Operation while running programs off of a USB is flawless, and the machine operates as it should. Thankfully we're not super busy and can schedule work through the other machines we have, but have a looming 4thaxis production job that we're looking to run in it long term and would like it fixed before that.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
ymJ8ETHl.jpg

Dan.

You didn't say which year machine this is but I'll assume it's one with separate keyboard and video board. I think the beep is probably generated by the keyboard/video card, so that doesn't necessarily mean the control got the message. While it could be the control board, I'd be tempted to try changing the video card, or perhaps just reseat and dielectric grease the parallel cables. Just my $0.02

You didn't say which year machine this is but I'll assume it's one with separate keyboard and video board. I think the beep is probably generated by the keyboard/video card, so that doesn't necessarily mean the control got the message. While it could be the control board, I'd be tempted to try changing the video card, or perhaps just reseat and dielectric grease the parallel cables. Just my $0.02
Machine is a 2008. I'll open up the control and try that next Monday and post my findings. Thanks.

SKBIF Troubleshooting guide.

Is 2008 an NGC? if you search on Goog's for "Haas SKBIF" you will see a lot of guides. PM if you cannot get to it.. I'll send you my MS-Word copy. They have a lot of pic's and block-diagram info plus good troubleshooting steps/info .

Machine is a 2008. I'll open up the control and try that next Monday and post my findings. Thanks.

You might try disconnecting the remote pendant entirely and seeing if that has any effect. It's a total shot in the dark, but if there's a short or other flaw in the pendant or cable it could interfere with proper operation when manually controlling machine movement.

Also, any error codes in the alarm history?

Is 2008 an NGC? if you search on Goog's for "Haas SKBIF" you will see a lot of guides. PM if you cannot get to it.. I'll send you my MS-Word copy. They have a lot of pic's and block-diagram info plus good troubleshooting steps/info .
Thanks. It's not a Next gen control.

You might try disconnecting the remote pendant entirely and seeing if that has any effect. It's a total shot in the dark, but if there's a short or other flaw in the pendant or cable it could interfere with proper operation when manually controlling machine movement.

Also, any error codes in the alarm history?

No error codes, as far as the machine is concerned I don't even think it knows it's doing it....

I'll try disconnecting the jog handle. I've had a feeling it might be related to that the whole time, as that was the first thing that stopped working, everything else just started creeping in after that. The tech that was here didn't think that was the issue though, so I don't think he disconnected it.

We used to have a kid here that dropped it too many times to count because he couldn't be bothered to put it back in the holder when he was done. All the problems start slowly creeping in since about that time. Too busy today and tomorrow, but might have time Wednesday to open it up and have a peek. Thanks again.

Thanks. It's not a Next gen control.

No error codes, as far as the machine is concerned I don't even think it knows it's doing it....

I'll try disconnecting the jog handle. I've had a feeling it might be related to that the whole time, as that was the first thing that stopped working, everything else just started creeping in after that. The tech that was here didn't think that was the issue though, so I don't think he disconnected it.

We used to have a kid here that dropped it too many times to count because he couldn't be bothered to put it back in the holder when he was done. All the problems start slowly creeping in since about that time. Too busy today and tomorrow, but might have time Wednesday to open it up and have a peek. Thanks again.

Call Hass in Cal skip your HFO. tell them the problem they will get it worked out usually over phone.
I have/had a bug in my 2008 vf2ss related to my hand control. you hit a certain(cant remember which button) button and it will send the tool arm into the spindle head while the head is down and spindle is turning.
Called the main tech number on back of machine he said impossible, then he said I had a bug after I offered to send pics.
I never used the handwheel have no need to as the machine is small. 2 months later batts died so they updated the version I was running.

Back