What's new
What's new

Haas Y-axis Lathe questions.

FitsenHiggles

Plastic
Hello Everyone. First Post here. I generally try to look every where before I ask but no matter how I phrase this question I keep getting other topics that are closely related to the wording I have to use to describe it. So if anyone has a Y axis Haas maybe they can help. I know this would increase setup time but aside from that is it possible to correctly index a square part in one of these machines. Lets say we need to drill four holes at each corner of a square plate while also doing turning work on said part. Now you can start with round bar stock and do all the turning you need then go in with an end mill and square it up but would it be possible to start with square stock material and say use the y axis to align the the part to a zero degree and sort of make that your starting point for the C axis? Any other input on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

If I understand your question correctly. You are asking if you can tram a straight edge and make a arbitrary C axis value zero.

yes,

If the machine has full C on that spindle.

There is the problem with the Haas part of your question. They are still making some indexing spindle machines.

Just to add that if it is possible I would look at a collet or softjaw arrangement to save me from tramming in each part.

I would assume you could probe sqr stock in a full c axis lathe, as long as they have a probe attachment for the turret. it would just be a simple macro that comes standard with the renishaw probe on the mills.

we use the Macro all the time for out 4th axis on out mill. lathe I assume would be the same thing. But I dont know as I dont have a hass lathe. if you call hass they could tell you pretty quick.

That being said I would think you would need big enough stock like 1.5" sqr or bigger. doing it on 1/2" stock wouldnt be close to accurate due to the distance between probe points

Yes. What you describe is possible. It can be done with or without a Y-Axis.

I tram in one jaw of my 3 jaw chuck and set a C axis offset to allow radial live tools to fit in between the jaws for some parts.

As long as the chuck doesn't come off the machine, the C axis offset remains valid. If you're using a collet chuck with a square collet, just make sure the collet goes in the same way each time.

Back