Login to Your Account
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Country
    CROATIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

few months.
    i can lock and unlock the hsm but the t remains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just buy it or stopping whining.
    Sort of obvious that providing a trial period is a big mistake. A lesson now learned from the forum here if you build and ship machines.
    Buy in or design your own cnc machine tool. No one is stopping you from this.
    Can you design and build the steel, controls and software to do this "simple" thing you want to hack?
    Bob

3. Likes Larry Dickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsports-X View Post
    how old is your machine. because i know for 100% sure that is not the case. even the link you posted doesnt have any instructions to turn off the trial. because you cant.
    May 2012 build date.

Well then I guess it was somewhere around 365 days? 1 turns any parameter on, 0 turns it off. Did it myself dozens of times. I remember your thread though. I'm not calling you wrong, I'm relating our experience. We can even turn the expanded memory on and off, because Haas loves to give you things and not let you use them until you pay. I get that and I don't like it, but I didn't buy the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by allenp View Post
    few months.
    i can lock and unlock the hsm but the t remains.
    Because it's still a trial period. When you buy the option (it's an option, not included unless you - or whoever bought it originally - did so at time of purchase or after that) the T goes away.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can turn it off if it's on you are using the 200 hours regardless if it's using it or not I think it's close to 3 grand option if you are using hsm techniques it's worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my 1st sl-10 I tried the Spindle orient trial. Shut it off at night and back on in morning after warm up. When job was over I shut till I had a need again which I recall being quiet awhile definitely after 200 hours of use...if I recall I did get an alarm the next job csaying my trial was over and when machine was powered down I'd loose the feature... I called HFO, gave PO for the feature, I got my unlock key and all was good.

Not sure what the fuss is about. If you don't want the feature, don't buy it...if you like, buy it. If you want to steal it...then give it a shot.
    But it is stealing.

7. Likes Larry Dickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just bought my HSM this winter... money DAMN well spent. Some of my production parts decreased run time by 5%-10% or more before program changes and some I am running 20% faster without breaking tools. Wish I bought it sooner but glad I didn't finance it. That's one nice thing about the haas options is you can pay after financing and avoid the interest on the options.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. Likes RTM liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know this is an old post but I would be interested in seeing if one could develop their own plugins like HSM for the machines. It seems fair that we should be able to do that if we truly own the machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TL;DR No.

Software on these machines is not open source. Aside from user accessible parameters, features, and options there's not a lot you can do to change their behavior. If you want to mess with that kind of stuff you're going to need to hop over to the 'zone and run your machines with EMC2/LinuxCNC as the control software. If you've got an ancient machine with a control that's barely hanging on it might be worth the effort for a retrofit, and then you can make it do whatever in software given sufficient time and knowledge.
    Even if HAAS open-sourced their software, you're going to have to already be a skilled programmer to make any improvements to the motion control. There's 30+ years of math, testing, and experience behind it, and it's not written in arduino or other more accessible languages- It's going to be much lower level, since the gen1 machines were moto 68000 based, and IIRC the coldfire controls were built on a modified version of the same architecture.

If you have any decent machine made in the last 25 years...you're probably better off sticking with what you've got and paying the manufacturer for any performance upgrades that are available.

Alternately, look at your CAM software. You may be able to make better code to get more performance out of your existing machine as it sits. Tolerance and smoothing/arc-fitting settings and other optimization techniques can make a world of difference. If you throw 1000 blocks per second of linear movements at a machine that can only handle 250 (or doesn't have lookahead/HSM) it's going to choke, but you could give it a .001 smoothing tolerance and it'll reduce that to 30 or 40 arcs that it can run smoothly.

On older HAAS machines you can turn off the display with M76 to gain a ton of processing overhead back. It's how I run HSM strategies and 3d surfacing on my '93 VF3. The display updates when you hit feed hold, hit reset, or use M77.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jstaud View Post
    I know this is an old post but I would be interested in seeing if one could develop their own plugins like HSM for the machines. It seems fair that we should be able to do that if we truly own the machine.
    One can do anything you want with the machine you own.
    A few scopes and data analyzers connected and can you read a hex dump and burn it?
    It is not a "plugin", you are not getting how a cnc control and real time programming works which is understandable
    There is no doubt that many could write the code needed but you can't patch on top of what is there.
    And then can your machine even do this, there are electrical and mechanical time constants defined by your drives and attachments and it's really hard to break those rules.

One could do a whole lot of work and code any machine Fanuc or Hass or.. to perhaps a new level.
    Bob

13. Likes npolanosky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just had to write a post to all the people pointing out that unlocking the option yourself is equal to stealing.

While I may personally agree I dont intendend to elaborate more on then to merely state my opinion.

The thing with this thread is that you are really beating a dead horse.
    When you try to pull the moral card on this one.
    Let’s not ignore the actual fact that Gene Haas was convicted and sentenced to jail on multiple tax evasion charges and(as a joke) one might simply add “quid pro quo”.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    There is no doubt that many could write the code needed but you can't patch on top of what is there.
    Ha ! You haven't seen the source to a 2560 ! Talk about spaghetti code They gave it to me for some reason .... probaly because they didn't want to have anything to do with the damn lathe. There was a guy at Westinghouse who would pull the control off machines they were scrapping and "upgrade" other machines in their plant. Cliff knew his shit !

It was kind of a neat control but never became popular

I wonder how we got to the place where messing with a control became "stealing" ? The swincs and pdp-8's and 16's were widely modified ... okay, maybe not widely but people did it. And no one considered them thieves ...

Ths scuttlebutt is that Mr Haas played fast and loose with the IRS because he got screwed on a phony "imaginary property" suit. Conversational was obvious to anyone in the trade, why a jury sided with Hurco is beyond me. But it does make this thread kind of ironic

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Even if you wanted to do it, the controllers have protections to prevent hacking the activation codes.