What's new
What's new

Hacking HSM on HAAS machines

Master

Plastic
Is there anyone out there who has figured out how to hack the machine to allow high speed machining option to be turned on? They've jailbroken the iPhone, can't be difficult to figure out how to bypass the machine to allow options to be turned on.

Do you steal from your local stores and gas stations too! Do you work for the government?

It is interesting how this thinking is selectively applied to software....

If you purchased the machine I think you should be able to do whatever the heck you want to it.

For example, few would you care if someone increased the spindle speed on a machine by changing out a pulley right. But if they "hack" the control to do something similar than all the sudden it is a problem?

Does not make sense to me.

It is certainly a gray area.

It is interesting how this thinking is selectively applied to software....

If you purchased the machine I think you should be able to do whatever the heck you want to it.

For example, few would you care if someone increased the spindle speed on a machine by changing out a pulley right. But if they "hack" the control to do something similar than all the sudden it is a problem?

Does not make sense to me.

It is certainly a gray area.

Interesting thought... The Haas engineers/techs/builders, etc have already built all of this into the control, but they charge you to turn it on... I mean the work is done, right??! On a similar note, a very long time ago I lived in an apt complex and found out the cable was still on (hooked it up on a whim), being the honest guy I was at the time (not to say I am dishonest now, but times have certainly changed...) I called them and wanted to schedule service. They told me it was xx.xx dollars PLUS xx dollars for install. I told them no, teh cable was already on, I just wanted to "start" service and pay the bill. They insisted that the cable was off and I needed to pay to have it installed. Finally I told them, "look, you can tell me its off and I can continue to watch for free, or you can {waive} the install charge and start billing me". They did a "free" install then (after me basically fighting with them over the fact I did indeed have free cable...) and started billing us :rolleyes5:

Perhaps what makes this sound so bad is that someone posts the question here and expects people to join in, there by creating a criminal conspiracy.

I'm too old to go to prison. :)

Is there anyone out there who has figured out how to hack the machine to allow high speed machining option to be turned on? They've jailbroken the iPhone, can't be difficult to figure out how to bypass the machine to allow options to be turned on.

The hack will be to figure out the unlock code on your own, so start going through all the possible combinations. If you have the time and patients to figure that out, more power to you.

Due to the comments above, this may be an unpopular opinion but I will throw in my 2 cents anyway. These machines are sooooo damn expensive that I think that everything should come unlocked. I tried to jump a section of a program on an older Haas lathe with a simple "GOTO" and was puzzled to find out that the control wouldn't take it (gave me an "illegal command blah blah blah). I called Hass with the machine serial number and they informed me that the machine was not purchased with the macro programming option. Now WTF???!!! As stated above, programming work has already been done. I think it was somewhere around $1500 to get it unlocked!

You already own the machine and all the necessary code, which resides on the machine.

My question is this. Are you paying for the code (which is already in your possession), or are you paying for the service of unlocking the code.

If the latter why are you obligated to pay a service man, when you can do it yourself?

Software is full of grey areas...

You already own the machine and all the necessary code, which resides on the machine.

My question is this. Are you paying for the code (which is already in your possession), or are you paying for the service of unlocking the code.

the code is in your possession, yes, but you paid for the machine with the code locked. You paid for locked code, that would only be unlocked at additional expense. That was the original contract.

Most airplanes have at least one empty seat upon takeoff. So next time you buy a ticket to fly somewhere just bring along the wife/girlfriend without a ticket, when you get to the gate just tell there she is going to sit in one of the empty seats, since the plane is going there anyway. Tell us how successful that is for you.

Dude the hack is simple just use this old school input device. Enter the code "HFO" in the pay field and then "2595" in the $. That will start the unlocking protocol.

ABA_routing_2.gif

Everything on our computers is legal as far as I know and that's the way it should be. I have no desire to work with bootleg software or get something for nothing ever. Would this guy machine parts for free or give away his over runs from inventory just because he ran them with the last order ? I don't think so. HAAS is the best machine tool value on the planet for my shop and extras they can offer are worth every penny. These guys changed everything for small shop owners with limited funds. Ive been in tight spots these last few years with little or no money and in need of a part or repair. My HFO has never left me hanging and always got me running again. Why steal from them ? They keep a lot of people working all around the world. I don't get it.

Ron

He's already paid for what's sitting on his shop floor, and what's sitting on his shop floor already contains what he needs.

Problem is he probably signed some paperwork somewhere along the line during the purchase saying he wouldn't "crack" the codes. That would be the nail in the coffin for me.

If there's nothing in the purchase agreement regarding this(Which I can't imagine there isn't), then......

If the latter why are you obligated to pay a service man, when you can do it yourself?

Software is full of grey areas...

If a machine owner is in possession of an unlock code, they are free to turn on the option and any HFO, or the factory, will walk them through the simple process over the phone.

However, the OP never said anything about having the unlock code in his possession.

To check if anything can be unlocked, or what is locked, is there a certain screen that shows options? I'll be interested to see what my older machines have or don't have.

Back