Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Surely they do something to those motors? Running an off the shelf motor at 10k+ rpm seems a bit scary. Plus it's going to produce more than 10hp at more rpm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by friesen View Post
    Surely they do something to those motors? Running an off the shelf motor at 10k+ rpm seems a bit scary. Plus it's going to produce more than 10hp at more rpm.
    They use a delta/wye switch to give the spindle a broad torque curve. It seems to work really well.
    But, how they label these 30/40hp machines I have no idea? It is way over my head.
    All I know is I saw the motor-plate on the motor connected to a direct-drive spindle in one of these "30/40hp" machines. And, it was rated 10hp.
    That is a 10hp spindle in my book. Pretty sure there ain't no amount of magic pixie wranglin' (spindle drive) gonna increase a motors rating 300%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TCFab View Post
    The inrush from starting the spindle caused the machine to go into power failure detection shutdown whenever it went from 0-6000rpm or more. I dramatically oversized the power wires and it helped a bit. The final fix was editing my post processor to break up spindle acceleration into 48 super short steps for anything higher than 6000. The downside is that it takes 5 seconds for the spindle to spool up to 10k. I might be able to get that down to 3 or 4, but who knows how that will work in the summer with the AC running.
    The pre NextGen controls had a spindle accel/decel parameter which would fix that for you.
    Call the HFO ( or perhaps Haas direct ) and ask if that parameter still exist on the NextGen garbage.
    You won't have access to it, but your HFO will.

My SL10 came in ( one of the very first ones Haas ever made ) with an insanely high acceleration parameter.
    Cut it down to almost 1/3rd and it became much much nicer.
    I did not have a problem with power failures, but did have issues with spindle overload alarms when G96 was invoked.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    The pre NextGen controls had a spindle accel/decel parameter which would fix that for you.
    Call the HFO ( or perhaps Haas direct ) and ask if that parameter still exist on the NextGen garbage.
    You won't have access to it, but your HFO will.

My SL10 came in ( one of the very first ones Haas ever made ) with an insanely high acceleration parameter.
    Cut it down to almost 1/3rd and it became much much nicer.
    I did not have a problem with power failures, but did have issues with spindle overload alarms when G96 was invoked.
    Tried that before anything else. No dice, said it didn't exist in parameters anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tried that before anything else. No dice, said it didn't exist in parameters anymore.

I'm willing to bet that it still exist.
    The current group of schmucks that do coding for Haas might be useless, but they can't really get away with hardcoding servo parameters into the OS.

See if you can find someone willing to give you access to these:

Spindle Parameter Activation - CHC

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too would suggest nicely asking in persistence, I'm not convinced there isn't a settable parameter for this.

7. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss710 View Post
    I have a vf1, vf2ss, and a vf3, and a kia kt21 cnc lathe all on rotary phase converters. the bigger machines draw no more power than the smaller 1s with the same hp spindles.
    Yeah but tell us what size Rotary your useing and how many amps is your supply and breaker....Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tryhard View Post
    Know a guy running a VF3 on a 15hp rpc. I'm running a 20hp Haas and 10hp onsrud on a 25hp rpc. Several others on here also running multiple machines simultaneously on a single rpc.
    And I recall someone on here was even running a modern vfss on rpc on a 30amp breaker with no issues.

Not sure what a static phase converter is capable of, but have heard good things about that brand.
    Depends how much your demanding from the machine. The newer VF3 is 30HP direct drive and thats what I'm trying to figure out now. The rotarty Phase Converyter company is telling me I need a 50HP RPC at $5k$.......Yikes

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I put a new VF2SSYT in my new pole barn this winter. I am powering it with a 40hp rotarty converter. The inrush from starting the spindle caused the machine to go into power failure detection shutdown whenever it went from 0-6000rpm or more. I dramatically oversized the power wires and it helped a bit. The final fix was editing my post processor to break up spindle acceleration into 48 super short steps for anything higher than 6000. The downside is that it takes 5 seconds for the spindle to spool up to 10k. I might be able to get that down to 3 or 4, but who knows how that will work in the summer with the AC running.
    How many horsepower on that spindle motor?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Actually, they are 10hp. Pull the cover off your spindle-head, and look at the motor plate. Every single ss machine I have been behind the cover of that had the old Baldor motor, had a 10hp motor. The Yaskaway doesn't give a hp rating on the plate. But, you can bet haas didn't up the spec by 300%
    And, the haas motors were no more powerfull than either the Yaskawa or Baldor.

haas ss machines will run just fine on 30 amps. I have 4 of them (three VF2ss, one VF3ss/APC) all on 30amp slow blow fuses and a 60hp Phase-Perfect.
    They run just fine!
    The neer Haas are 30 HP direct drive. Tholder ones wer less.