What's new
What's new

Hass vf3ssyt or vf4/5ss on residential power

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
Has anyone on here had one or know of someone that has installed one of these 3 at their house in a residential area WITHOUT 3 phase power but with a phase converter like a phase perfect?

I’m about to have my slab poured and building kit delivered and going to be pulling the trigger on a new or slightly used haas and want to know if I will be able to do it?

I’ve heard that haas’ hp and amp ratings are inflated and this would be the one time I would be okay with it but most seem to be just haas haters so this has to be the best place to get answers.

Would a phase perfect,sized correctly, power a 30 haas power mill on single phase 240?

I know a lot of guys have vf2ss’ in there garages but don’t think I’ve seen any bigger than that.

I have a vf1, vf2ss, and a vf3, and a kia kt21 cnc lathe all on rotary phase converters. the bigger machines draw no more power than the smaller 1s with the same hp spindles.

Amps are amps, the mill doesn't know it's in a residential space. I run a CNC router (12hp spindle) with a 10hp vacuum pump in my garage. Works fine. You'll pull about a hundred amps with the load meter pegged, but as long as you have 200 amp service or more, no issue.

I have a vf1, vf2ss, and a vf3, and a kia kt21 cnc lathe all on rotary phase converters. the bigger machines draw no more power than the smaller 1s with the same hp spindles.

Hoss, What are you doing with all of those machines? You jobshopping?

Has anyone on here had one or know of someone that has installed one of these 3 at their house in a residential area WITHOUT 3 phase power but with a phase converter like a phase perfect?

I’m about to have my slab poured and building kit delivered and going to be pulling the trigger on a new or slightly used haas and want to know if I will be able to do it?

I’ve heard that haas’ hp and amp ratings are inflated and this would be the one time I would be okay with it but most seem to be just haas haters so this has to be the best place to get answers.

Would a phase perfect,sized correctly, power a 30 haas power mill on single phase 240?

I know a lot of guys have vf2ss’ in there garages but don’t think I’ve seen any bigger than that.

Know a guy running a VF3 on a 15hp rpc. I'm running a 20hp Haas and 10hp onsrud on a 25hp rpc. Several others on here also running multiple machines simultaneously on a single rpc.
And I recall someone on here was even running a modern vfss on rpc on a 30amp breaker with no issues.

Not sure what a static phase converter is capable of, but have heard good things about that brand.

yes I have had a job shop at home. it's been 20 years. did it full time for 15 years . now I do it part time, evenings and weekends.

Awesome! This is what I was most concerned about. I’ve read where people said they couldn’t power anything bigger than 7.5hp on residential power and that just didn’t seem right to me. Maybe in select areas but I had never heard that before. Also,as I’ve never been around a hass vf,what is the noise level like,say when taking a heavy cut with a 3” face mill and 1/2 end mill?

Sorry for the rookie question but,as I’ve only been on slow manual machines, I have no experience with an enclosed mill. I would imagine being enclosed dampens the noise but, the extra 6 to 10k spindle rpms more than make up for that? Plus I have neighbors,4 I like and I’m pretty sure can’t wait for me to receive the mill,and the other, well, let’s just say i won’t feel bad if I bother him but, I also don’t want any problems.

Don’t know what I’d do without this sites,it’s a gold mine

Your biggest hurdle on the VF3 and larger machines are gonna be getting it thru the door and operating height. (YouTube: "Lucas Is Busy" he put a VF3 in by himself in a very unconventional way) Otherwise not impossible.

My neighbors don't hear anything unless my door is open. Compressor is the loudest thing by far but that problem is about to go away. I also don't share what I'm doing with my neighbors.
And I've never complained the few times they've been loud or unruly. On a nice day I can hear a few woodworking machines echoing thru my neighborhood. Never seen from where though.

Awesome! This is what I was most concerned about. I’ve read where people said they couldn’t power anything bigger than 7.5hp on residential power and that just didn’t seem right to me.

"They" probably meant when using 240vac single phase

The door i was planning on is 12x12 but do I need to go with a 12’tall 14’ wide? I can’t off hand the exact width of the machine but If I can get a 21’ piece of pipe through a 14’ wide door on forklift I should be able to shimmy a mill slightly wider than the door opening,I hope.

If it's not going to add a whole lot to the cost just go with the bigger door... It's no fun trying to cram machines through tight spaces, especially if you don't need to! A nice sized door with an easy approach makes life simple and cheap when it comes to getting a machine in place...

The door i was planning on is 12x12 but do I need to go with a 12’tall 14’ wide? I can’t off hand the exact width of the machine but If I can get a 21’ piece of pipe through a 14’ wide door on forklift I should be able to shimmy a mill slightly wider than the door opening,I hope.

I'd think you could fit anything thru a 12x12 door. Just go here and look at the shipping dimensions.

I put a new VF2SSYT in my new pole barn this winter. I am powering it with a 40hp rotarty converter. The inrush from starting the spindle caused the machine to go into power failure detection shutdown whenever it went from 0-6000rpm or more. I dramatically oversized the power wires and it helped a bit. The final fix was editing my post processor to break up spindle acceleration into 48 super short steps for anything higher than 6000. The downside is that it takes 5 seconds for the spindle to spool up to 10k. I might be able to get that down to 3 or 4, but who knows how that will work in the summer with the AC running.

have you tried putting it on a larger converter? I have a 75 hp for my vf2ss with no issues.

Tryhard, i thought about what you said so i called the hfo for machine specs and that guy was more than helpfull over in spring texas. hell it doesnt matter the cut out size for the door,it wouldve cost the same for a 8x8 12x12 or 16x10 which is what i ended up going with. the door was a couple hundred more so no brainer. I really wanted 12 high door but, being the building wouldve had to have a 14 foot eve,the city had to vote on a variance since bc the eve limit is 12 foot,for an accessory building.
I really wanted to go 16 so i could one build a bridge crane and the lady i spoke with at the city said she didnt see why they wouldnt vote yes but, with coronavirus it could be months. well,im not a patient person so i went with the 12 foot eve and 16 x 10 door which will be more than sufficient to get my vf5ss through. Got my building contract signed and paid this past sunday and that has been the only easy part,the rest of the process is a nightmare with everything going on across the country and world. Now come on concrete man. Stay safe everyone

the spindles on the SS are 30/40 hp. so you need to go bigger.

Actually, they are 10hp. Pull the cover off your spindle-head, and look at the motor plate. Every single ss machine I have been behind the cover of that had the old Baldor motor, had a 10hp motor. The Yaskaway doesn't give a hp rating on the plate. But, you can bet haas didn't up the spec by 300%
And, the haas motors were no more powerfull than either the Yaskawa or Baldor.

haas ss machines will run just fine on 30 amps. I have 4 of them (three VF2ss, one VF3ss/APC) all on 30amp slow blow fuses and a 60hp Phase-Perfect.
They run just fine!

Back