What's new
What's new

HELP: Haas standard coolant pump

Tryhard

Aluminum
My next learning opportunity showed itself today when the coolant pump didn't start during a drill cycle.
Noticed it had flipped the machines "coolant" switch on the Haas internal breaker panel. Flipped it back on and ran it again. It sounded like there was an obstruction in the pump. Thought maybe a screw got in the tank. We removed the pump and spun the shaft and was surprised to hear the rattling coming from the electronic end. So we took the endcap, run capacitor and start capacitor off. The obstruction was a loose RED wire from the run capacitor. It was also chewed all to heck.
Unfortunately I may be needing new capacitors. But what I need now is a diagram showing me where the loose capacitor wire should be connected.

Internet seems to be void of any good information.
Anyone able to help?

take it to a local motor shop and they will get you fixed up. I had 1 die on me. costed me 25.00 to have it rebuilt with new bearings. about 3 or 4 years ago.

take it to a local motor shop and they will get you fixed up. I had 1 die on me. costed me 25.00 to have it rebuilt with new bearings. about 3 or 4 years ago.

Nephew took it to a friend near his house. Motor was tested for 'working or not' and after about 5 or 6 successful start-up and runs in a row it was deemed working. But that doesn't explain the tripped coolant breaker from last run on the machine.

Guy said the capacitors are good, but one wire was a little loose. Would that loose wire have caused the breaker to trip?

Machine would run a couple of ops before hearing the motor jerky noise and tripping the breaker.
Was told there is a possible wonky relay in the system???? Is that a thing on this machine? see pic

Clueless on this...

1.jpg

could be the relay or the breaker is going bad. have you looked at the relay contacts?

Don't think it's the pump

could be the relay or the breaker is going bad. have you looked at the relay contacts?

UPDATE: DON'T THINK IT'S THE PUMP

I robbed the coolant pump from it's sister machine (it's in waiting at the riggers place) and hooked it up.
This motor/pump is nasty so I have not dipped it in my coolant just yet but still have it mounted to the other machines tank top plate. Sat it in the floor beside my machine and fired it up.
Turned coolant on several times, letting the motor ramp up each time.

With either pump, it would sound like it really struggles to ramp up. Like a hard vibration. Makes it kind of sound like what you would expect from an old dried out and rusty mid century pump. But at intermittent times it would come on nice and quietly and run very smoothly. Most times the rough sounds though. (2 out of 6 times it started smoothly)

Looked all over the IO Board, there no relays that I can see for the coolant pump on my board. Think I do see an LED for the coolant pump though.
Is there a hidden relay somewhere not on the IO board?
Problem sound more like a relay or more like a breaker?

Please see pics....

0.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

I can see the coolant pump relay on the bottom right of you io board. just looked at 2 of my machines and a few spare io boards I have and it's the 3rd output from the bottom right.your 3rd output from the bottom right has a relay in the picture.

here are up close pictures of the 1s I have. now my vf1 and vf3 have the smaller pump . on some of the larger pumps they use q920200203_191332.jpg20200203_191523.jpg and q10 to turn them on . the output should be connector 940.

ok after looking at 1 if the new IO boards with the bigger pumps I told you wrong. your IO has the 3 power transistors like this 1. 20200203_192116.jpg it uses Q6 and Q8 to power the pump on once again 940. sorry for my incorrect response on it having a relay. I'd still look at that circuit breaker without the cover on. have replaced several of those over the years.

ok after looking at 1 if the new IO boards with the bigger pumps I told you wrong. your IO has the 3 power transistors like this 1. View attachment 277567 it uses Q6 and Q8 to power the pump on once again 940. sorry for my incorrect response on it having a relay. I'd still look at that circuit breaker without the cover on. have replaced several of those over the years.

I did unscrew all gazillion Phillips head screws on the breaker panel and pull the breaker out. Was riveted together else I'd have torn it apart and looked inside.

Don't suppose I could swap the "thru spindle coolant" breaker in it's place? Don't have TSC anyway. I see it's a 3 pole, but there is physically a space for another pole.

How to test my coolant breaker? Motors being rebuilt.

there is a switch in the pump motor itself that gets flunky sometimes

Electric motor shop found issues with both pump motors, cites the internal switches. Both being rebuilt. The breaker itself is riveted together so I can't take it apart. ...is there a way to electronically test it to rule it out as the problem before we resort to yoinking the I/O board out of the machine to check the 3 power transistors?

1.jpg

you can use a 1500 watt space heater which draws 12 amps, it should trip the breaker.. not immediately but.. tens of minutes later.

Qucik fix to a Haas coolant pump going out.

there is a switch in the pump motor itself that gets flunky sometimes

Just to close out this thread, Kustomizer had it right, this was the problem. Oddly enough, and as unlikely as it sounds, the problem was the same with BOTH pumps.

For anyone finding themselves in an emergency situation like we were in over here with needing to run parts over the weekend and having a haas coolant pump go bad. Our solution was Harbor Freight of all places.

This pump dropped right in the coolant tank and pumped every bit as good as the Haas pump did. Wouldn't expect it to be a full time replacement but it worked like a dream as quick fix and a backup. Used a harbor freight temporary foot pedal switch to turn it on when needed by placing something heavy on the pedal. had to be on our toes for tool changes but it wasn't bad.

3.jpg

Below is it in action. There is a lil whale blowhole on top that sputters a little water out when it's running.
Nephew made a "coolant recovery dome" to combat coolant loss. Drove us crazy for a minute.

6.jpg

1.jpg

There is a centrifugal switch on the motor shaft that hangs up...or did on two of my pumps. It all works perfectly till it doesn't, pops the breaker, no coolant ALwayS when needed most. And Always when you think you got it licked and walk away.

I played and played...local motor place took care of it.
Think it was about $60.

Back