What's new
What's new

HFO in NorCal using Haas Activation as ransom.

SteveMyers

Plastic
Short Version:
HFO can hold a paid-in-full VF-3SS as ransom for non-Haas issue.

tl;dr version:
I was talking to a friend that owns a medium sized machine shop in NorCal.
He has about 10 Haas CNC'S and a few other brands, all 2014+

He said he has a dispute about the value of a non-Haas machine he traded in to buy another non-Haas machine the HFO sells. The Machine tool dealer does not want to credit the full amount they agreed on on the trade-in contract.

Recently one of his Haas CNC mills (all of which are 100% paid for) had a dead battery, so he had a Tech Guy replace it and call the HFO to get its activation code.

The dealer is refusing to give it to him, stating this is now leverage with the owner to get the other issue resolved.

So buyer beware, if your HFO Dealer sells you other brand machines or equipment,all of your Haas's are at risk in a dispute.

Seems like the trade-in price should be clearly spelled out on the paperwork??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Selway?

Hard to believe that they'd do that to a guy with 10 machines in that short of a period. They've been great with us and we've got half that.

Something missing from the story?

If it's in the contract and they wont honor it, have an attorney deal with it then.

But what happens next time he needs service on a machine and now they have a sour relationship? Good luck....

Short Version:
HFO can hold a paid-in-full VF-3SS as ransom for non-Haas issue.

tl;dr version:
I was talking to a friend that owns a medium sized machine shop in NorCal.
He has about 10 Haas CNC'S and a few other brands, all 2014+

He said he has a dispute about the value of a non-Haas machine he traded in to buy another non-Haas machine the HFO sells. The Machine tool dealer does not want to credit the full amount they agreed on on the trade-in contract.

Recently one of his Haas CNC mills (all of which are 100% paid for) had a dead battery, so he had a Tech Guy replace it and call the HFO to get its activation code.

The dealer is refusing to give it to him, stating this is now leverage with the owner to get the other issue resolved.

So buyer beware, if your HFO Dealer sells you other brand machines or equipment,all of your Haas's are at risk in a dispute.

Bogus. This sounds like two separate transactions. The HFO can not co-mingle them. There has to be more details.
If the HFO is indeed holding his code for ransom? Your friend needs to call HAAS direct.

It is not bogus, the HFO is indeed withholding the code to collect for an unrelated billing dispute.
He has contacted an attorney and is in the process of filing suit.

He asked that i say nothing more in public until the case is processed at which time I will post up here a link to the documents.

It is not bogus, the HFO is indeed withholding the code to collect for an unrelated billing dispute.
He has contacted an attorney and is in the process of filing suit.

He asked that i say nothing more in public until the case is processed at which time I will post up here a link to the documents.

Fair enough. But, from your original post, you made it appear that the HFO was holding $$$ from him. Not, he holding $$$ from the HFO.
Not sure how the HFO could use HIS un-lock code to not pay him.
Again, the guy needs to call HAAS. The HFO does not own that code. Nor should it be needed for a battery replacement.

There is more to this story than you have made available. (or its bogus)

Last edited:
until all avenues have been tried why does stuff like this even get posted up?....this is no better than the media spewing crap all over the tv that hasn't even been public for a day and little factual info available. i'm all for public knowledge but there are 2 sides to every story and a post like this should not pop up until after all avenues have been tried.

Seems like a clear-cut dispute so long as the trade details are in written form. If not, well.... :nono:

That's a shitty thing for the company to do, but then again breaking the contract is also shitty. Again, the details are clearly defined in writing either way.

Regardless, for anybody reading this, if your machine is paid off then you should already have the unlock code written down somewhere with the equipment. No machine comes from Haas already-activated even if you pay with cash, so somebody already typed it in. If you don't know the code then call up the HFO and get it right now.

I believe this is called conversion of property. Your "Friend" needs to call an attorney. Or maybe you could do it for him. :D

LOL! Yazz.. fraudulant conversion, ISTR. Criminal, not just civil. Plus civil damages to the machine OWNER's line of business as accrue. So we'd be sorting out what we could get for liquidating that distributor and how much, if any, of the residue their stakeholders would get back after our costs were recovered. Hass, in the interim, would see fit to divorce them to avoid the same hammer. Can't be having felons as dealers, yah?

There are Lawsters. And there are "Nazgûl". Those don't threaten. They simply feed.

Back