What's new
What's new

How do I add a permanent adjustment to the Z measurement from the WIPS Tool Setter

kentd

Plastic
I'm using the wireless tool setter on my Haas, and when I measure a tool it gives me the positive offset measurement.

I want to use a negative offset.

I am using the face of my mills table as my baseline for measuring tools, so that's why I want to use a negative offset.

So with that in mind I want to take any measurement that my tool setter comes up with and minus 20.9186" ( this will give me the same measurement as I would get if I used a dial and measured off the face of the table )

What would be the easiest way to have this automatically calculated whenever I use the wireless tool setter to measure a tool?

Thanks,

Kent

If I catch your meaning you want the table to be G53 Z zero (and for example your tool setter would be at +4" or something). I vaguely remember that this is possible, but I also kind of remember it being a bad idea. Basically you're trying to change the machine Z zero as shown, even though the physical location of the limit sensor is "way up off the table." Makes sense practically, I'm just not sure it's possible on a Haas.

Call your HFO or a Haas tech if you have their number. They would be able to quickly answer whether this is possible and how to do so. Experiment very carefully when modifying parameters and variables, and write down values before you make changes, otherwise you'll be getting a Haas tech anyway. I would also recommend calling Rennishaw during the week. They've been super helpful anytime I've called. Good luck.

I’m not sure why you want to do this. It seems like you want to alter the way the tool setter was designed to work.

Just touch all your tools off the work, set your work Z to zero and press cycle start.
Would be faster and safer than doing what you propose.

Kent, you could do this by editing either the WIPS or Renishaw programs. I'd probably try with WIPS, but do so at your own risk...
And toolbreak check will be useless and most likely not work.

Could probably add it in one spot at the end. It looks like if #1 is 0 or 1, that's for auto or manual tool setting.

at the end:
N800
G65 P9833 (OMP40 OFF)
GOTO999
N900
G65 P9856 (FLASH OTS OFF)
IF [[ #1 EQ 0 ]OR[ #1 EQ 1 ]] THEN #[2000+#3026]=#[2000+#3026]-20.9186
(END OF PROGRAM)
N999
G103
M99

Attempt/test at your own risk...

Thanks for the info.... but I think I just figured out why I couldn't make sense of all of this... ( found out my probe didn't have a length figure keyed in ) it was set to zero.

When I purchased this used machine it came with the probe, and the first thing I did was cleared out all of the tools ( and in the process cleared out the probe measurement )

So when ever I ran a test using the probe to check my work piece it was giving me a bogus number that I couldn't compare to any hand measurement to double check.

Now that I have the tool length for the probe keyed in everything is working.

Sorry for all of the confusing questions on this.... but this is my first go with a wireless touch off and probe... so I'm kind of feeling my way through this.

One follow up question.... when I do a measure all tools when it gets to the first tool in the list that is not physically in the machine it's stopping. Is there a way of selecting just the tools that are in the machine without going back in the tool list and changing the probe type to 0 so it doesn't attempt to check that tool?

Back