What's new
What's new

How to lift 24 smt in a small garage

Stirling

Hot Rolled
Bought a used 2008 vf2 that came equity with a 24side mount tool changer. Was a great deal and they needed it moved asap! So I did not do much planning.

I needed to remove it to get inside the garage. Had the picker truck pull it off outside but I'm scratching my head how to lift it into place now?
And tips tricks you have would be appreciated. The machine just clears the roof at full z stroke, so not an abundance of overhead for lifting either...

I'd really hate to dismantle and rebuild into the machine

Not sure if this will help but I came across this reference a couple years ago when I was trying to get a SMM2 with SMTC into a tight space. Do this:
- Go to Instagram
- Search for "oneeartim"
- Scroll way back to August 1~8, 2018. He's got some pics of installing the SMTC onto his VF2 in his garage. Looks like he used an engine hoist (pic below if from his series of image.) Maybe it'll inspire some ideas.
He mentions it was close to 500lbs. And, he had so little room to move the boom that they had to cut the eyebolt to get the hook off (not enough room to lower it to unhook it, apparently).
SMTC01.jpg
SMTC02.jpg

Not sure if this will help but I came across this reference a couple years ago when I was trying to get a SMM2 with SMTC into a tight space. Do this:
- Go to Instagram
- Search for "oneeartim"
- Scroll way back to August 1~8, 2018. He's got some pics of installing the SMTC onto his VF2 in his garage. Looks like he used an engine hoist (pic below if from his series of image.) Maybe it'll inspire some ideas.
He mentions it was close to 500lbs. And, he had so little room to move the boom that they had to cut the eyebolt to get the hook off (not enough room to lower it to unhook it, apparently).
View attachment 301152
View attachment 301153

That is exactly what I was looking for, so it can be done with a simple engine lift. I guess its time to find the tallest lift I can. visually it looks like the same roof clearance as mine too.
Its a tight fit, but its going to be a worthy upgrade over my tm-1

Thanks for the photos!!!!!

That is exactly what I was looking for, so it can be done with a simple engine lift. I guess its time to find the tallest lift I can. visually it looks like the same roof clearance as mine too.
Its a tight fit, but its going to be a worthy upgrade over my tm-1

Thanks for the photos!!!!!

Right on. FWIW He’s got a photo of just the lift in his Instagram feed. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back