What's new
What's new

How smooth does your vfss spindle run?

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
If I’m running at 12k and I put my hand on the machine I can’t feel much of anything but if I open a side door and place my hand on the bracket that the p cool unit mounts to i can feel a vibration. For me anyways, if it was a fan vibrating that much I would try my best to balance the blade bc vibration will just make the motor bearings fail sooner whether it’s a year or 20 years than if there were none. Anyways the gauge on the diagnostics page jumps around 0-3g’s when there is no movement at all from any of the machine. when I’m running say a 1/2 ball end mill it might jump up to 4 or 5. Not a steady number either,it will bounce up and down. I’m talking about free spinning, not in cut. Does that sound pretty much the norm?

It’s under warranty so I would like to catch every single thing before that year runs or I buy the extended.

Another question as well. I have been getting an intermittent alam for control and io board communication lost and one for failed and haas has come out but haven’t fixed anything bc they cant get it to repeat on demand. Hass anyone else had a similar issue?

3 or .3? Ours is cutting (albeit light) and running full rapid, 11,300'ish rpm and the most i saw, just now, was .12G

Can't speak to the vibrations, but if it's a belt driven spindle I think some are inevitable.

I can speak on the I/o communications lost issue as it happened to my 2019 MM2 5 or 6 times while under warranty. Same thing, techs came out every time. Each time they couldn't find anything and updated the software. Ends up it must have been software, because the issue went away hasn't reared back up since. Been ~4-5 months since it happened last.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i spun up a 1/2 EM in a weldon holder to 12k the other day and immediately shut it off because of a huge amount of noise, sounded like an imbalanced holder and i could feel the vibration in my feet

doing the same thing moments later with a 3" face mill had no such vibration.

i spun up a 1/2 EM in a weldon holder to 12k the other day and immediately shut it off because of a huge amount of noise, sounded like an imbalanced holder and i could feel the vibration in my feet

doing the same thing moments later with a 3" face mill had no such vibration.

Please check the RPM rating on the face mill.

Speaking of things that should not be at high RPM.
Its remarkable the length of spring wire is in an edge finder.

.0 something? I wish I seen that. Mine hops around from 0 to 3 when the machine idle so can’t trust that measurement but when I spin up a half inch end mill or basically any other tool in a balanced holder it just around wilder spiking and dropping from 0 to 8gs. Even with nothing in the spindle just spindle spinning by itself at 12k I get a reading of that will spike around 5gs. Something had got to be wrong as I believe y’all have confirmed. But I don’t feel hardly anything on the enclosure. I just happened upon it when I open the side door to turn the coolant on while it was running and felt it.

Not ever working somewhere or even seeing a machine tool like this in person and not having the experience of how much is too much of things of this nature are far more stressful than actually running the machine which I’m finally cautiously comfortable with now. That’s the biggest downfall and without this site I would be guessing a lot. So I appreciate you guys who take the time to comment bc it really helps me decide my next course of action. Call HAAS lol. Man I hope they don’t look at me like the hypochondriac that calls the dr ever day with a new illness. Haha

I have another question regarding the spindle. What do you guys see the temp go to when at 12k for an extended period. 15k also bc if it’s running cooler than mine at 12k then there has to be a problem. Ive read others say that theirs stays about on temp or slightly above which is hard to believe but I could be wrong? Mine will get up to 132. That’s the most I’ve seen it get to after running for 30 minutes or so.

Back