What's new
What's new

How to transfer g-code program with Cimco/Hsm Edit with Usb cable to 25 pin on Haas V

alevtodorov

Plastic
Guys, I have Haas Vf2 machine and i need to transfer g-code program through cable with Cimco Edit. Could you help me? I have cable with one side of it is Usb and on the other side is 25 pin that goes into the Serial Port on the machine. In the other post, I read that can happen only with Rs232(9 pin) <—> Serial (25 pin). Also which Dnc settings i need to choose?
On Cimco., I can’t find Syncheonization option?

SettingS on Haas:
- Baud Rate - 9600
- Even
- synch: Xon/xoff

Settings on Cimco are the same except synch. I do not know where to choose it.

Please, help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you check here? (RTM stuff)
CIMCO Documentation

...and here. How to see section on cableing between systems and controls.
How-to Guides | Support | CIMCO

...and if you can tolerate the music... YouTube

in a Google search of 'CIMCO to Haas' there are numerous posts over in CNC Z O N E's forums USe their search feature possibly.
(actual search CIMCO to Haas - Google Search )

Guys, I have Haas Vf2 machine and i need to transfer g-code program through cable with Cimco Edit. Could you help me? I have cable with one side of it is Usb and on the other side is 25 pin that goes into the Serial Port on the machine. In the other post, I read that can happen only with Rs232(9 pin) <—> Serial (25 pin). Also which Dnc settings i need to choose?
On Cimco., I can’t find Syncheonization option?

SettingS on Haas:
- Baud Rate - 9600
- Even
- synch: Xon/xoff

Settings on Cimco are the same except synch. I do not know where to choose it.

Please, help.

there is something as I recall called a "null modem"? to swap the send and recieve wires between the pc and cnc, someone here is sharper on that than me, I did it 30+ years ago, many, many, gallons of wine ago.

Guys, here are my settings and connections

CIMCO Settings:
dbacbfa42651898e9ea2a413f1ceaa72.jpg

17d4bcef3f03cd962d1fd7eae4e4caea.jpg

4bf0d82cf1073f126c1dcb62825f2d84.jpg

2b88b4f8ddd14b40f545a307ea301984.jpg

My Haas Settings:
5297eda5bc6284447ff2519204884f33.jpg

My Connections:
2d38a5d29d0f8e40acdec40ea0345e6c.jpg

f3f8312c4dc55f1831a57554a182fa95.jpg

ad748e9e0b3607f05602acc2dc608a22.jpg

80d36eb18590d3c02feb14a57aa4c9dc.jpg

3b5763c7dd68ab18977503e679f2442b.jpg

09b64c88552336bcae4adbd80e721573.jpg

I’ve tried something from older posts, but nothing happened.

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 52
A quick suggestion is to put a RS232 analyzer/breakout box inbetween the two items, Or use a RS/232 PC based protocol analyzer. Just a thought to see what's going in/out. THere are PC based ones too as freeware too .

A quick suggestion is to put a RS232 analyzer/breakout box inbetween the two items, Or use a RS/232 PC based protocol analyzer. Just a thought to see what's going in/out. THere are PC based ones too as freeware too .

Thank you for the advice.

just a thought... On the screen w/ flowcontrol- I see it set to software- Is there a hardware xon/xoff selection under flow-control?

just a thought... On the screen w/ flowcontrol- I see it set to software- Is there a hardware xon/xoff selection under flow-control?

The options are:
1. None
2. Software
3. Hardware
4. Software & Hardware.

But, there isn’t Xon/Xoff option. I think Software option means Xon/XOff. I read it from the Cimco documentation you provided.

38400 much faster. Also, synchronization xmodem is a bit safer as it does a checksum check.

38400 much faster. Also, synchronization xmodem is a bit safer as it does a checksum check.

Sorry for the stupid question. I’m a newbie, but do I need some kind of modem or so? Somewhere I found people are talking about “null” modem. My cable has some kind of null modem (9 pin - 25 pin male adapter)

There is no modem. The purpose of a null modem adapter is basically to reverse rx and tx, to allow two hosts to talk to each other , like if two pc's want to talk to each other through rs232.

XMODEM is not an option with cimco edit.

Personally, I'd stick with FTDI converters.

You could tell us what you have tried. The easiest way to get this right is to set up your serial port with putty or similar, and send a file from the haas, and see if you get something intelligible. Basically start trying things to get your feet wet, otherwise its like trying to tell someone how to operate windows 10 over a telephone.

There is no modem. The purpose of a null modem adapter is basically to reverse rx and tx, to allow two hosts to talk to each other , like if two pc's want to talk to each other through rs232.

XMODEM is not an option with cimco edit.

Personally, I'd stick with FTDI converters.

You could tell us what you have tried. The easiest way to get this right is to set up your serial port with putty or similar, and send a file from the haas, and see if you get something intelligible. Basically start trying things to get your feet wet, otherwise its like trying to tell someone how to operate windows 10 over a telephone.

Yep. You’re right. I’ve tried these dnc settings in cimco and with these cable. On the pc side i’ve connected usb port, which on the other side is 9 pin rs232 port male which is connected to same 9 pin female, on the other side is adapter with female 9 pin and 25 pin male which is connected to serial port 1 of the machine. Tried to send program. On the machine I pressed “List program” -> ALL -> Receive Rs232. On the pc i’ve clicked “Send” and the program was successfully sent. On the machine there is a label “ Waiting for dat” and thats it ... forever. I’ve tried to press “cycle start button”. The result was: Alarm message: “Rs232 program empty” or something like that.

After a while, I was tried to send a program from the machine and everything looked fine, but I received only symbols like “]]]]]]]” or “yyyyyy&yyyyy]]]”. .... nothing. I ordered new cable from ebay, Usb <-> 25 pin Rs232. The connection hope to be more clear.

Any suggestions or advices will be very useful.

I am going to crawl a bit tentatively onto a limb...
a) Wondered if you succeeded in anything as yet?
b) Your post reminds me of a situation I had w/ my CPU board on my Haas. It's a long shot but... the Haas uses a few Comms IC's on the board. Dual UUARTs in a IC?? (I've forgotten since the research in 2018 or 19). And the 232 transceiver. It's foggy but... you note sounds a bit too familiar in a certain way.
The RS232 chip which uses +12/-12 is on the CPU board for the front panel. Posts happen a few times a year where you get jjjjjj or ggggggg on the screen. I think yyyyyy Anywho- The FIX for this is due to a failing tantalum capacitor (4 buckd for 4 of them...). These are used on the 232 chip across 2 IC pin to internally derive the -12Vdc for effective comms.
Several folks have replaced the capacitor and restored full operations for the 232 Comms to/from the front panel. Or pay $3-4K for a replacement used board. (Grrrrrrr.........)

To validate the hardware for Serial 232: On the port connections- From your RS232 receptacle on the side of the unit, to the interface board connector, it is common for RS232 components to fail. Noise, incorrect cabling, a wire broken off a pin, etc (lots of etc's). Seen some nasty stuff in side a haas. have you looked inside?
I do not and have not checked where the RS2323 input goes on the board sets? Could be another set of Comm IC's on another board? But, yours sound familiar on the way in which it will not work w/ any setting and the char's strings.... Maybe?

anywho... been a quiet week on the forum here... Hope you got it going actually.

Yep. You’re right. I’ve tried these dnc settings in cimco and with these cable. On the pc side i’ve connected usb port, which on the other side is 9 pin rs232 port male which is connected to same 9 pin female, on the other side is adapter with female 9 pin and 25 pin male which is connected to serial port 1 of the machine. Tried to send program. On the machine I pressed “List program” -> ALL -> Receive Rs232. On the pc i’ve clicked “Send” and the program was successfully sent. On the machine there is a label “ Waiting for dat” and thats it ... forever. I’ve tried to press “cycle start button”. The result was: Alarm message: “Rs232 program empty” or something like that.

After a while, I was tried to send a program from the machine and everything looked fine, but I received only symbols like “]]]]]]]” or “yyyyyy&yyyyy]]]”. .... nothing. I ordered new cable from ebay, Usb <-> 25 pin Rs232. The connection hope to be more clear.

Any suggestions or advices will be very useful.

Stupid question maybe but does your cable or anything between your PC and your Haas convert the 5V level USB ouput into the 12V RS232 signal the Haas needs? I bought a USB to RS 232 convertor to use on mine.

Just having a USB to 9/25 pin cable isn't enough. I didn't see any convertor in your pictures, maybe I missed it.

Haas's implementation of the serial communication is about as solid as it gets.

Haas needs a Null modem between the PC and the Control.
As mentioned, the null modem is a wicked simple device with an odd name, it is pretty much the swapping of the TX/RX and CTS/RTS pins on the cable.

Can't help you with Cimco, but TeraTerm-Pro is one solid piece of communication software.

Make sure your setups match on control and PC, use XMODEM as the protocol.
It does not matter which device initiates the transfer. The control will sit and wait for the READY signal from the PC.
Tera Term will wait for the signal for about 20 seconds, then times out.

If that doesn't work, then suspect the cabling first!

Again, Haas uses an old-school RS232 implementation that is rock solid.
Interestingly, Tera Term is an open source project coming out of a country, which - along with the Germans - have made every possible attempt to fuck-up and muck-up the serial communication standards.
TeraTerm is also rock solid.

By looking at the pics I am going to say its your cables and connections. your pin configuration is wrong. its almost always the case. the other problme can be the USB they flat out suck getting one to work with older machines. I still have a bunch of laptops with 9pin on the back of them running windows 98 or xp software for this exact issue.

RS323 Pin Out.JPG

Back