What's new
What's new

HS1 X axis linier guide replacement.

Blowerboy36

Plastic
Newby here guys.

I have a 1996 HAAS HS1RP and its an old work horse that I want to keep as it does parts that are not of high tolerance. yesterday we noticed while cleaning the machine the RR X axis linier guide cap has failed and balls are starting to come out. Called HAAS and they quoted the repair at almost 20K. Considering doing it ourselves. The linier guide rail looks to be in good shape and we must have found it before things went south in or on the guide block.

does anyone have any tips or advice on this job? Tips one might only know having experience doing this sort of Job. I have the HAAS manual instructions but want to ask before I get into it

does anyone know the brand linier guides used in this machine?

If the guide rail is in good shape can the truck that the cap failed on be replaced by itself?

thank you in advance.

If you have all of the balls that came out you "might" be able to put them back in and replace the ball return cap. If not then you need to replace the rails and blocks on the X axis. The reason is the blocks are preloaded to that rail, just like a ball screw, so they are not interchangeable, and the rails and blocks are ground to the same height as a set so you can't replace just one.

If you do end up doing it, take pics, I wanna see. I would imagine you would need to un bolt the trucks from the column base, then use a low profile hydraulic cylinder to lift the column up, then set it down on some blocks. then remove one rail, replace it, and square it to the existing rail, then do the same procedure for the other side. at my work we had a haas tech replace all the linear rails on a haas office mill, and it was definitely interesting to watch, the hs-1 might be easier to deal with since everything was so tight on the office mill.

Back