What's new
What's new

I just bought a haas tl1 need an automatic 3 jaw chuck

kpotter

Diamond
I just bought a new haas tl 1 I need an automatic 3 jaw chuck for it. I am going to be doing lots of facing operations and chamfering. I dont want to use a collet because it is on lots of different size parts. I saw some pneumatic ones is there a good one that doesnt cost 8 grand or is there a hydraulic one that is affordable. I would like to spend around 3 grand if possible

I just bought a new haas tl 1 I need an automatic 3 jaw chuck for it. I am going to be doing lots of facing operations and chamfering. I dont want to use a collet because it is on lots of different size parts. I saw some pneumatic ones is there a good one that doesnt cost 8 grand or is there a hydraulic one that is affordable. I would like to spend around 3 grand if possible

It sounds counter-intuitive, but add TWO-jaw power to your search as well. The top jaws being accurately tooled, they do "round" parts just fine, and odd parts - even asymmetrical shapes - too. It's all about the top-jaws.

Makers are many, power chucks. It's where all the money went as CNC took over. All the old-line manual chunk makers moved-up and survived, (Schunk, Rohm,) plus others who have always been powered mavins (SMW-Autoblok, Kitagawa, Samchully...)

Used are legion. Even just a rebuild can be a costly service, so I'd expect high wear is what put them into the used market, and be careful if you go that route. But rebuildable they most certainly are. Most are ramp/wedge or lever actuated

BE AWARE.. that many of these have VERY short strokes! They are meant for the top-jaws to be adjusted (see fine serrations instead of single-dovetail) and/or machined, even ground.

Not many of them can take a "wide range of parts" without that monkey-motion of a new setup for each. Very different from full-range scroll-operated manuals. OTOH, that's part of why they are more accurate, clamp better, stand borderline INSANE RPM (balancing levers inside) and stay accurate longer for high-volume runs of parts.

Not sure I'd discount collets, either. There are some seriously capable and flexible systems out there in CNC-land. Some are familiar - may also have been commonly seen on manuals. Others, hardly-ever.

I'm not selling these, but have a look at the Ortleib "Quadra" for multiple collet types, multiple configurations, double-ended support included, all from one "mothership".

I just bought a new haas tl 1

So, you finally took the plunge in to CNC land? And, you limited yourself with a TL1?! :ack2:
For not much more (maybe less!) money you could have had a "real" lathe, with a 12 station turret, that came with a chuck.
Sorry Kevin, I don't get it!
By "new" do you mean new (as in 2018)?

FWIW, I have spent more than my fair share of time on a TL1. It sucked for anything beyond 1-2pc prototyping.
This is the one I ran more than I care to admit:

HAAS.jpg

So, you finally took the plunge in to CNC land? And, you limited yourself with a TL1?! :ack2:
For not much more (maybe less!) money you could have had a "real" lathe, with a 12 station turret, that came with a chuck.
Sorry Kevin, I don't get it!
By "new" do you mean new (as in 2018)?

FWIW, I have spent more than my fair share of time on a TL1. It sucked for anything beyond 1-2pc prototyping.
This is the one I ran more than I care to admit:

View attachment 236890

The new tl 1 looks like a huge improvement.
The Redesigned Haas Toolroom Lathe - Haas Automation's New TL-1 - YouTube

“We moved the guides closer together which makes the saddle much more rigid.” I don’t know, that seems counterintuitive. Kevin, did you buy the machine prepped for a power chuck? If not, you will need a hydraulic system, rotary actuator and draw tube in addition to the chuck itself.

Looks the same to me, with an enclosure (safety mandated I am sure), relocated ball-screw, and that stupid chatter-prone 4 position turret. Gahbage
All for the low, low price of $25k with no turret, $30k with the 4-pos. turret. Easily up to $35k with a few accessories.

I would think it was neat, had I not had as much experience with one. But, I do. And, I know better.
I would park one in my garage for sure! (if it was cheap, its NOT) But, I would never try to make money with one.

Kevin, did you buy the machine prepped for a power chuck?

I know for a fact that did not used to be an option. And, I just ran through HAAS's build a quote for a TL1 real quick, and did not see that option.
Reason being, the TL1 is not meant for production. It is a "Tool Room" lathe. Where they really have no need for a hydro chuck.

I wanted the handles to run it like a manual lathe, I was going to buy a new hwacheon it was 35 thousand dollars so I figured I would get one with cnc. I have zero clue how to run it I am mostly interested in using it like a manual lathe but with some cool features. I did get the turret with 4 tool holders and the tail stock. I want an automatic chuck I have seen a pratt and burned but it was 7 grand. I am wondering if there is a cheaper option. I want my employees to be able to run it as well without chips flying all over the place we have had some people get small injuries and they still cost a lot to deal with. No one in my shop knows how to run a cnc anything. There was no point in buying a machine that no one can run. We make very simple parts mostly die blanks with it. I use a turret lathe right now and it is 80 years old. I love the thing, when I told my son we were buying a new haas he looked at me like I shot his dog. I needed a new lathe and there is really nothing out there that I liked other than whacheon. I ran the tl1 in the shop next door and I liked it. You guys need to realize I dont do the same work and any of you. We do not measure anything we make art, we dont work from prints I dont use micrometers or dial calipers I eyeball everything. A full cnc machine would be a nightmare

I wanted the handles to run it like a manual lathe, I was going to buy a new hwacheon it was 35 thousand dollars so I figured I would get one with cnc. I have zero clue how to run it I am mostly interested in using it like a manual lathe but with some cool features. I did get the turret with 4 tool holders and the tail stock. I want an automatic chuck I have seen a pratt and burned but it was 7 grand. I am wondering if there is a cheaper option. I want my employees to be able to run it as well without chips flying all over the place we have had some people get small injuries and they still cost a lot to deal with. No one in my shop knows how to run a cnc anything. There was no point in buying a machine that no one can run. We make very simple parts mostly die blanks with it. I use a turret lathe right now and it is 80 years old. I love the thing, when I told my son we were buying a new haas he looked at me like I shot his dog. I needed a new lathe and there is really nothing out there that I liked other than whacheon. I ran the tl1 in the shop next door and I liked it. You guys need to realize I dont do the same work and any of you. We do not measure anything we make art, we dont work from prints I dont use micrometers or dial calipers I eyeball everything. A full cnc machine would be a nightmare

Fair enough. But, I think, if you knew just a tad bit more about CNC, you would have made a different decision.
FWIW, I use my CNC lathe like a manual all the time. And, the biggest pain in the ass about doing it is the chuck!
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around your logic. I know, its not my place to do so.
But, I have cruised your website. I have seen the stuff you make. If you are making more than 10 of anything? I still feel you bought the wrong machine.

I am placing my bet: IF! you actually use this thing as a stepping stone to learn CNC. There will be a "real" lathe in your not too distant future.
You might get me down there on a Saturday to help you do some learnin'! I've never been to Tucson, and like a good road-trip.

Kevin just made a big leap... lets help him with the transition not beat him up from the word go. Also highly recommend visiting, Kevin's shop is awesome.

Last edited:
I can definitly see a full cnc lathe in my future, I have been outsourcing just about everything and it has been fine but sometimes the quantities get stupid. I dont want to order 10 thousand parts to get a decent price. If this goes well I will get a mill next year.

My first cnc lathe was a Milltronics ML20, also a hybrid manual/cnc machine. It was a decent stepping stone to full CNC, and Kevin has made the same step. Now that I've had turning centers,(and am doing more volume) I'd not buy that machine again, but that's now, not then. He has NOT made a mistake.

I see the TL1 has an A2-5 spindle nose. There are probably front actuated air chucks that will bolt on and that's probably the simplest, I was told there were such for my D1-8. A better way might be to buy a normal CNC chuck like a Kitagawa and mount a hydraulic actuator to the back of the spindle with a normal drawtube through the spindle. That would also allow use of collets.

That will require a hydraulic power source to operate the actuator. One caution is that there'a probably not a plug in way to prevent the lathe from turning the spindle on without the chuck clamped, like there is when the power chuck is integrated into the machine.

Here's a chuck that came up in google - http://www.lexairinc.com/mta/systec09062012.pdf

I would go with a front mount pneumatic. Make you a deal on a spare Schunk I have laying around the shop...

Attachments

• Schunk Air Chuck.jpg
    Schunk Air Chuck.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 347
How about $1800 shipped to you? Normally I would ask more but it's been sitting on the shelf for a few years and I can't guarantee that the seals are prefect. Easy to fix if necessary. It's a current model from Schunk and fully supported. PN/ rota-tp-125-26

Back