What's new
What's new

I would like the chip auger to push the chips out of the front of my machines

kustomizer

Diamond
Today I tried the easy thing, I put a 4 inch x 90 elbow with flanges on it and the auger will not push the chips around that and the original 45 on the exit tube. It can't push the chips around the corner. Has anybody ever tried this?

Can I ask why? Did you not plan out where the chip auger is, or moving things, or...?? If you can explain you might get some better responses, or ideas on how to fix your problem...

I am planning on leaving 7000sf in Northern California for 2800 in Idaho. I don't want to make the building bigger so putting the machines closer together makes sence in my situation. If I can make the chips come out the front I can reduce the gap between the machines by 3 feet or so, I can take a couple of more VMC's with me rather than sell them.

How much work do you want to do? First thing that comes to my mind is to remove the stock funnel, have the exit from the machine dump in to a small "sump" of sorts that has a separate auger in it, which of course points wherever you want it to.

I thought about putting the machines at an angle but that puts my chip box where I like my cart full of blanks to feed the next machine.
Today I took off the haas funnel and the auger was able to push the shavings through it so I cut off one flange from the 90, the 45 0ff the Haas funel then welded them together.IMG_3099 (1).jpg
it is working just fine as a test, I will start production in the morning and see how it does.

Unless you want the ability to dump chips into a barrel or something else that's taller than that tote box, you can make the auger's work easier by inclining the output "megaphone" to a more horizontal angle.

How about adding something like a rotorouter spring to the end of the existing auger biased towards the center diameter and adding a short auger you can make to the other end of the spring so it gets you around the corner?

How about adding something like a rotorouter spring to the end of the existing auger biased towards the center diameter and adding a short auger you can make to the other end of the spring so it gets you around the corner?
Searching Rotorouter Spring gets me results for plumbers in Texas. Please explain yourself.

It is working fine now, the auger will shove them around the 90 then up and out. It would not do the 90 and the 45, seems 135 degrees was too much to ask. It would have made the project a bolt together project as opposed to the fabrication one I have ahead of me.

sfriedberg, there are 18 holes in the flange so I can adjust down some if it turns out I'm able, we will see how the briquetter comes out. I can condense my shavings about 12 times and eliminate having so many boxes of them.

I'd be interested in your briquetter project, too. Actually, I need a shredder even more than a briquetter, as all too much of my manual lathe work produces coils rather than chips, and even after stomping around in the chip bucket like a soused grape masher, the buckets are still about 85% air.

Back