I'm Looking at buying a Haas machine - VF0 or VF1 what are the best used versions - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Well just to prove I'm right and your wrong I asked some questions, I didn't want to assume like you that the HFO will/won't do something based on mere opinion.

Unlike you I don't assume the HFO is like a black lab, you know throw them a few treats and they'll do anything you want.

Apparently I was (mostly) wrong. The local HFO will load the software, but THAT'S ALL THEY WILL DO. They wouldn't install the Maincon, and they wouldn't guarentee the software will load, and will not warranty the work. So if the board/machine fails 5 minutes after they exit the shop your out of luck.

The cost including travel/time at site/software is minimum $1500 so not exactly cheap.
    $1500 + what was it? about $2500? So $4k to repair a crippled HAAS? Still quite salty. But, beats the snot out of $20k!

2. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    $1500 + what was it? about $2500? So $4k to repair a crippled HAAS? Still quite salty. But, beats the snot out of $20k!
    As a comparison, I've had motherboards fail twice in a Makino with a Fanuc 0M control

The second time it was the motherboard and 2 other boards. Fanuc came out from Huntington Beach (45 mins drive each way) replaced the boards with rebuilt boards, taking the old ones as exchange boards. Total cost including a $200 software loading fee was $2200. That was maybe 8 years ago. Not sure what it would be now, surely less than $3k, and way cheaper than the cost to fix a Haas.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    'Splain to me Lucy how's that different from what I've said?
    Software loads, machine functions, tech leaves.
    Board shits the bed and reload is necessary, tech comes out again, determines that board is defective.
    Bang! No longer a recall, rather a new ticket.

Done FS for 18 years in a previous life, and that's just how it works.
    Even in the medical field, where in each hospital there are staff dedicated to diagnose and repair whatever they can, call service when they fail.
    Oh FFS Shirley. The difference is your crazy enough to assume your right, whereas if I’m not sure I’ll check. I guess I’m more intellectually curious than you.

And if you had read what I had said, all the HFO would do is load the software, end of story. They said they would not install the Maincon board, they would not guarantee they could load the software and NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER after software installation.

Not their repaired board, not their problem. No new ticket etc etc.

So if the repaired board is defective, or becomes defective TOUGH SHIT AMIGO, YOUR OWN YOUR OWN.
    They did say that was their position, other HFO’s may have a different take on the matter. Why not call your local HFO and ask them? See what they say. Tell them about your 18 years of experience so you can tell them how it works.

But, I pretty much wrote it off, because I figured HAAS (or an HFO) would not do a software install on a board not sourced from them.

I based this on the fact that my local HFO told me under no circumstances to fuck up a battery replacement. Because "HAAS is getting sketchy" (yea, really).
    As you are our resident service expert, how do you interpret the second paragraph?(assuming I'm not getting the context) If I had to guess maybe at some point Haas will not support old machines to the extent that if the machine goes down due to something simple like a dead battery your f’d?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Oh FFS Shirley...

And if you had read what I had said, all the HFO would do is load the software, end of story. They said they would not install the Maincon board, they would not guarantee they could load the software and NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER after software installation.

Not their repaired board, not their problem.

And I rest my case with all that you've said.
    ( which is no way different than anything I have said ... )

6. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gentlemen! While you fight among yourselves, the real villain is sitting in his hidden volcano lair, stroking a white cat and and adjusting his monocle. And besides, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

Or forum. Whatever.

Seriously, not sure what all the hair pulling is about. But what is clear is that those of us with older Haas machines feel vulnerable, and it's making us anxious. Wouldb't we be better off trying to lock-down a solution, rather than just beating up on each other?

Can we invite the guy who claims to fix these cards to post to this forum with clear statements as to what happens when getting software reloaded, why it can't be backed up before removal, and what happens if his repair process fails? We need more data, not "hata".

8. Likes TDegenhart, machineit2, wheelieking71, BGL liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All I want is some friggin MainCon boards with friggin laser beams attached to their friggin heads! Is that really so much to ask!?

10. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And my HFO called an hour ago and told me Haas is raising all their prices on February 1 LOL. Machines I were looking at are going up $4,000 and $3,000. I don't know how you could justify adding $4,000 to a MiniMill 2....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since you all were skeptical as to the quality, experience etc, I contacted John Cown again and asked how many of these boards they do. He was nice enough to reply:

We repair about 3 a week on average. Repair rate is like 90%. Only time we really can not repair them is if there is layer damage to the board or there is one chip that can not be written to and if it is shot there is no hope for the board. If we can not repair then we do not charge past the testing fee. A lot of times we do not even charge that if it is shot.

We Guarantee:

12-Month Warranty
    FAST 3-5 Day Turn Around
    FREE Evaluation

Equipment we repair:

Servo Motors
    AC/DC Drives
    Touch Screens
    Power Supplies
    PLC'S
    Induction Motors
    & Much More!

Thank You,

John Cown
    Account Manager

Worldwide Industrial Solutions
    34 Enterprise Way
    Dahlonega, Georgia 30533

Also this is the warranty from their site:

WARRANTY:

We are proud to offer our customers an 12-month “Total-Unit” warranty which means that not only are the repairs we performed covered but anything else that may malfunction on your unit is covered during the warranty period. In addition, we are always willing to go above and beyond our customer’s expectations to work with you if the equipment ever has any issues that we can assist you with past your warranty expiration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DethloffMfg View Post
    And my HFO called an hour ago and told me Haas is raising all their prices on February 1 LOL. Machines I were looking at are going up $4,000 and $3,000. I don't know how you could justify adding $4,000 to a MiniMill 2....
    I want to get a small 5-axis machine in the shop.
    Just for giggles, I did a build-a-quote on HAAS's website last night for a DM2 with a TRT160, optioned as it should be.
    All I could do was LOLOLOL at the price. It was above a Brother M140X2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DethloffMfg View Post
    I`m not shocked that there raising there prices, I have some price quotes from my HFO that are 4 years old and the price has not changed on the machines VF2 and VF4, Some of the extras have gone up some ,,, I was told a month ago that Doosan had a big jump in price and from what I have been seeing most all builders have raised there price ,

In the last year my cost to build product has gone up about 25% do to Aluminum and steel cost and even heat treating and anodizing has jumped way up.

Last week I ordered 4,600 LBS of Aluminum flat bar and payed $2.20 a pound and 2 years ago the same order was $1.53 that's close to 1/3 more

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Absolutely! If this is legit? This is huge!
    I'm tired of looking up at that black cloud over my head!
    guess I can ad some input to this pissing match as I went through quite the roller coaster trying to get my old VF-0 kicking again I sent 2 different processors to these guys back when they were under a different company name they have since renamed/changed company names....why I have no idea my boards were in rough shape not much info to go off of they tried resurrecting them several times and after a lot of time/effort ended up being a no go I was pretty sour at the months of down time waiting on the repair. I ended up finding another used board in working condition had HFO come in load latest version of software and finally had the beast up and running again. obviously these guys are repairing boards or they wouldn't be around but I wonder why the company name change? they are still in the same location as before.

a buddy also informed me he thinks there is a guy down in Chicago doing board repairs I never followed up on this as my huge thorn in my side was fixed. maybe for future reference I should make some calls and see if I can't maybe find another local source.