What's new
What's new

indexable drills usable in tm1 ?

Stirling

Hot Rolled
I've been considering picking up a 1" indexable drill to use in my Haas Tm-1 mill but am worried it may not have what it takes to push the drill reliably/ridged.

my current case use would be in 6061 aluminum, drilling/plunge milling up to x3 Deep
No through spindle coolant

I've heard indexable take less HP than a standard style drill bit, so I would imagine it can push it.
would be nice o push through mild steel and 4140 pre hard too but I doubt it.

Thanks for your input

You should be fine, seeing it's aluminum and only a 1" drill.
I would run at least 3000 RPM to get higher on the HP curve and start at .002 IPR to reduce power.
If the chips don't want to break and you have power left, bump the feedrate up a tad.
FWIW, you can run at 200% spindle load for 2 minutes, but I don't like to do it myself. ;)

And you're right, an indexable drill (with small inserts) takes less power than a standard twist drill because you can feed slower.

My biggest concern would be no TSC. Just flood the heck out of it and you should be fine....

As far as brands, don't skip on quality. I've had good success with Ingersoll, OSG, and Sandvik although I know there are other good ones out there too.

Thanks for the reply,

I should be getting a quote on a sandvik drill today, apperently they are on promptopnal pricing apprerently.

the TM series mills peak tourque/hp is around 1200-1500 rpm. so I will use that as the start rpm and see.
likely will have to peck drill to keep coolant in the hole, x3 drill going 2.95" deep

thanks again!

likely will have to peck drill to keep coolant in the hole, x3 drill going 2.95" deep

No, please don't!

Indexable drills don't like pecking because a chip can fall back into the hole and get pinched under the insert. Bad things happen........

Just make sure you get inserts designed for aluminum with a sharp polished cutting edge.

I would also get a drill with a constant helix (no straight flute sections) and highly polished flutes. Could save the bacon with chip evacuation.

OSG | Taps | End Mills | Drills | Indexable | Composite Tooling | Diamond Coating | Die Products. 3D, Inch

Back