What's new
What's new

Intermittent Umbrella Tool Changer Alarm 115 Failure to Rotate

Riggerson

Plastic
I've got a 2012 Haas SMM that has the 10 tool changer. It's a fairly low hour machine.

When I first got the machine after a couple months of running I got this alarm 115 (turret failure to rotate), so I opened up the tool changer assuming it was the proximity sensor and the whole changer was filthy. So I cleaned everything out super clean and put it back together. Based on the condition of the pocket doors it had been crashed many times.

I also pulled all 4 relay's out (k9 thru k12) and checked them and they all seemed to run fine and looked clean. I didn't put them back in any particular order.

Couple more months go by of running fine and now we're back to having intermittent failures. Sometimes the changer runs great and other times it'll struggle to change on its own.

Only thing on the list of recommendations I haven't done is check the motor brushes. But if I go through the recovery process it spins the turret no problem. I can literally run the recovery nonstop spinning the turret and it will never fail to rotate.

This is all making me think it's the proximity sensor up on the top of the turret. But before I went replacing parts I wanted some more opinions.

FWIW turret parameter 60 (start delay) is at 200ms and 61 (stop delay) is at 1000ms. I increased the start delay a little bit and it seems to have helped but not totally resolve the issue.

I had a loose connection on my board in back of machine once that would intermittently cause this error (haas Tm-1)
Cannot remember what connector tho, sorry

I was in there putting in the dual battery upgrade around the same timeframe all of this started happening. I had to remove the two top boards to get the battery off the bottom board. Thank you for chiming in I'll check the boards tomorrow morning before I fire it up.

I feel like it was one of the ribbon cables that was causing an issue. Been a few years.
I seem to remember adding a string to appply a slight pressure to it. Bad blue or cable run that worked when pressure applied one way or another.

They are pretty darn basic mechanisms, easy to dissmantle/inspect. If there’s something wrong mechanically it should stick out like a sore thumb.

Let us know what the resolution is :)

I went through the boards and tightened all the connectors. Didn't find anything obviously loose.

While I was in there I swapped the K9-K12 relays.

I booted it back up and the very first tool change it attempted it faulted out in a different manner. The shuttle came in and it faulted out before the spindle raised up. Previously it wouldn't move at all and just fault out.

This makes me thing I have a relay acting up? Since it faulted at a different point of the tool change after moving them around?

Of course it then proceeded to 6hrs straight making about 40 tool changes with no more faults.

Relay's aren't too expensive if that sounds like the most likely suspect. I just want it to run at this point. Fighting a tool changer that isn't working is more expensive than relays.

Mine would fault any random point in rotation or stroke.
Was luck of the draw.

For a little while I ended up changing to tool changer designation so it though it was not there and manually tool changed to get through a panic job. So that’s an option of need be.

But eventually I found the plug and tensioned the cable, worked for Me.
Not a big fan of the connectors on the board

Something I learned years back is the relays work better longer if you open them up and file the peaks off them with fine sandpaper, once this is done they seem to last forever, if you replace them with new they will form a tiny peak and you will be right back where you are. Sand the peaks off and you should be good

It faulted again the same way after the shuttle moved in. So almost positive it's a relay since the issue moved. I'll try polishing the relays I have and see if that fixes it (they checked good with voltage applied on the bench so I know they move fine).

It's running a job right now so it'll be later this week before I can do it.

Just a follow-up in case anyone ever search for this error.

I decided to replace all 4 relays. I also found a bent tool changer finger. So I went ahead and also rebuilt the four worst pockets while I was ordering parts. I'll probably do the other 6 in the near future.

Anyhow it's run a couple more jobs and no more alarms. Pretty sure I had an intermittent failing relay. They were cheap enough it was worth it to go new.

I've got a 2012 Haas SMM that has the 10 tool changer. It's a fairly low hour machine.

When I first got the machine after a couple months of running I got this alarm 115 (turret failure to rotate), so I opened up the tool changer assuming it was the proximity sensor and the whole changer was filthy. So I cleaned everything out super clean and put it back together. Based on the condition of the pocket doors it had been crashed many times.

I also pulled all 4 relay's out (k9 thru k12) and checked them and they all seemed to run fine and looked clean. I didn't put them back in any particular order.

Couple more months go by of running fine and now we're back to having intermittent failures. Sometimes the changer runs great and other times it'll struggle to change on its own.

Only thing on the list of recommendations I haven't done is check the motor brushes. But if I go through the recovery process it spins the turret no problem. I can literally run the recovery nonstop spinning the turret and it will never fail to rotate.

This is all making me think it's the proximity sensor up on the top of the turret. But before I went replacing parts I wanted some more opinions.

FWIW turret parameter 60 (start delay) is at 200ms and 61 (stop delay) is at 1000ms. I increased the start delay a little bit and it seems to have helped but not totally resolve the issue.
I had the same issues these past couple weeks. I did everything the Haas tech mentioned ( relays and clean sensors on the turret). By chance I wiggled the turret with a holder in it and the machine was able to finish the startup cycle. I removed the front cover and tightened the turret nut. Seemed to fix it. I have a 2007 VF3 with umbrella 20 tool changer. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 73854AA8-A143-4DE1-B733-CCF25ADA6F70.jpeg
    73854AA8-A143-4DE1-B733-CCF25ADA6F70.jpeg
    871.7 KB · Views: 5
My last comment helped but didn’t fix it. Needed to remove turret motor and clean the sensors I missed. So far it’s been working as it should. 🤞

Back